• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

lyrklaunavan

Headphones
HIFIMAN HE4XX - I really like the sound of this. I listen to this at home in a relaxed state with songs like these... (https://tidal.com/browse/track/7970211)
Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm- Complete Isolation at work. Plus nice sound. Life saving headphones.
Logitech G533 for gaming. (Great for gaming purposes. Sound is average. Too many bass.)

IEMs
Tin T2 IEMs for portable. Great sound.
KZ-ZS10 Pro

DAC-Amp
I have Schiit Fulla 2 at work. Barely drives DT770 but it is ok.
Magni Heresy + Modi 3 drives HE4XX at home.

Sources:
Source: Tidal HIFI
Spotify Premium

Probable future purchase:
HIFIMAN Sundara or Fostex T50RP MK3

Last edited:

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These are the ones I currently own:

Full size:
  1. Sennheiser x Massdrop HD 58x Jubilee - My current favorite pair and my main pair for music enjoyment. They replaced Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm I used before.
  2. Beyerdynamic Custom Studio - Bought recently for silent listening and late-night mixing :) due to closed construction. Not bad, but certainly not as nice a sound as HD58x. Can be tiring in longer sessions. Great isolation and comfort though, and I do like the bass-reflex tuning switches and replaceable cable :) Actually, the easily replaceable cable was the main reason I chose these over standard DT770s.
  3. Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs - Used in the studio for tracking
  4. AKG K-44 - Same as above
  5. PreSonus HD-7 - Used for a while with an electronic drumkit. Sold the kit and these are now backup cans for generic studio use
IEMs:
  1. HifiMan RE400 - Use these in the studio for tracking and even rough mixing sometimes. Really nice sounding, in my opinion, even if slightly bass deficient - and especially nice for the price. They're also very lightweight and can provide a great seal if isolation is important. To my ear these are probably the best sounding IEMs I have
  2. MEE audio Pinnacle P2 - In-ear-monitoring at band rehearsals
  3. Samsung Galaxy Buds - TWS for everyday music enjoyment on the go :) Like them a lot (with the 'Warm' EQ setting in the app) and probably use these the most.
  4. Samsung tuned by AKG generic earbuds - Used for work / teleconferencing

phrwn

@phrwn Do you EQ your headphones? I know they're already gone, but it sounds like you've got more on the way. I didn't like the Elegia at first, but after EQ I was floored by how much better they sounded. I don't really EQ my other headphones, but IMO those ones needed it.
I did, but I only tried oratory and AutoEQ. They sounded tidied up and less harsh after EQ’ing, but not really any more lively or interesting. I am wondering, though, how much difference this iFi Micro would make. The T50’s sound so good with this thing I have to believe it would make a noticeable difference over the Hidizs S8. But I can’t do any comparisons now, so am just glad that I’ve found something I like. Looking forward to the Modhouse changes.

312elements

@phrwn if you didn't like the EQ'd elegia, I doubt iFi Mircro would change your mind. They're a fairly easy headphone to drive. I wouldn't lose any sleep over your decision. Sounds like you're on the right track. The T50's, being rather insensitive take more power to drive, so your findings make sense there.

brachypelma44

I currently have a Fiio K5 Pro and Fidelio X2 headphones. Not expensive gear, but it's quiet enough to use while the wife is sleeping in the next room, and it sounds decent enough for the price.

I have just ordered Massdrop 6XX headphones which supposedly ship in 3 days, so those will be exciting to listen to whenever they arrive.

I primarily listen to FLAC files from my PS4 Pro via optical out (music only, not gaming.)

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO

312elements

@brachypelma44 I love my HD6XX. I've got some headphones that are more technical and a lot more expensive, but there's something about the HD6XX that just keeps me coming back. For me it's the difference between wanting to geek about specific aspects of a recording vs just enjoying the music. The 6XX are just enjoyable to listen to.

martyscott89

I currently own the Logitech g933 wireless headset...

And here is my honest and short verdict:

DONT BUY THEM!

This headset is quite honestly just bad, in terms of sound quality its actually alright.

Where the issue(and this is a big issue) comes in, is the connection and interference.

The headset constantly loses signal and randomly turns off even if im just sat at the PC and not even moving around.

Besides that, on multiple occasions the firmware installations that are MANDATORY often just breaks the headset, resulting in having to reset it completely or download firmware of some website to make it work again.

Sorry, that was just my honest, and abit angry review of the logitech g933 headset - which ill be replacing on the upcoming black friday -.-

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
While my primary HP have been HFM HE400i (original headband)I wanted to try a double sided magnet HFM, so just got the Drop HE5XX.

Listening setup though is a bit different - the HE5XX has no EQ. Just an LG v20 Quad DAC and a Liquid Spark. (Original unbalanced HP cable). The HE400i is balanced connected to a Qudelix 5k with Oratory1990 EQ. Both Amazon Music 16/44.1 mostly.

Differences? The HE5XX has less clamping force, seems lighter, and is overall more comfortable to me.

Listening to Bach Organ Works Masaaki Suzuki with the HE5XX has less bass than the PEQ'ed HE400i, but overall is - to me - more pleasant. It is almost also 'dangerous' - as I can easily crank the volume up on the LS to what seems 'distortion free' ear shattering - but ecstatic - levels. (Not possible with the Qudelix).

My guess is I may eventually just front end the LS/HE5XX with the Qudelix, USB OTG connected to the LG V20. While the Qudelix DAC performance is worse than the V20, Amir did measure distortion was still 90db down..Probably fine - and the PEQ will let me bring up the bass a bit.

All in all, if I were today choosing between the old style HE400i and the HE5XX - I'd pick the HE5XX - but it is $50 more..($220 vs.$170)

Erispedia

Hello,

My Headphone:
- Sennheiser HD800 (thanks to SoundID by Sonarworks, I can use this for all music genre, youtube, and gaming)
- Sony WH-1000XM3 (still keep it just in case I need ANC in flight)

My IEM:
- 64Audio A4t (relaxing treble yet still airy and not dull)
- Beyerdynamic Xelento (most comfortable IEM I've ever tried)
- Fearless Audio S8F (just gathering dust)
- Sony WF-1000XM3 (the one I carry when I go outside)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And now the "safe choice" HD-650 ordered unheard 5 years ago based on reviews, used occasionally and deemed satisfactory.

Two years and three months since then,, no change, except a new extension cable that doesn't have an intermittent female connector.

No other complaints.

Oh, they're having a birthday!

Ordered on November 27, 2013 (1 item)

Today is Nov 25 2020

---

Time flies as you get older.

I've read a study that indicated your sense of the passage of time seems to be related to the square (or root) of your age..

Last edited:

Crandall

At my desk, I use a pair of DT770's plugged into a Fiio E10k on low gain mode, with an EQ curve that I've spent far too much time tweaking to my preferences. I'd like to get a pair of nice open back headphones like the Sennheiser 6XX or 560s, but I feel like I'll really miss the sub-bass emphasis.

With my phone, I switch between a pair of KZ ZSX IEMs or Koss PortaPros using the Wavelet App to apply 40% of the autoeq profile to them, or otherwise Moondrop Starfield IEMs without EQ.

Attachments

• DT770 EQ.JPG
    DT770 EQ.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 122

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Full size:
Grado SR325e
AKG 550 Mk3

IEM:
LZ-A4
BASN Bmaster - recent addition for £63 from Amazon, and great value, close to the LZ at less than half the price
B&O 3? (came bundled with LG V30 phone)

Robin L

Master Contributor
About to get yet another set of headphones, the Philips Fidelio X2HR open back 'phones, based in large part on Solderdude's review at DIY Audio Heaven [also, B+H has them at 50% off]:
Fidelio X2HR | DIY-Audio-Heaven (wordpress.com)

Fregly

I just got the Senn HD560s. My first impression, using one of Solderdude's filters to tame the peaks a bit, is that these phones have a pretty evenhanded sound. So far they seem very very good.

Bob-23

Philips Fidelio X2HR

It's a very good alrounder, and although I, soundstagewise, find the K702 a bit more 'immersive', the X2Hr's open and spacious soundstage is still capturing; and contrary to the K702 - being brutally honest and absolutely picky, and non-forgiving with regard to the quality of the recording - the X2HR are very forgiving. I guess, you will like it.

I recommend Oratory1990's eq, IMO, a must.

In order to prepare you for the awaited arrival of the phones, let's listen to one of the great subjectivists:

"It simply is an excellent headphone that will be hard not to like sound wise. I can see people enjoying this headphone more than the good old Sennheiser HD600. Everyone always compares these 2 models and it’s only normal once you’ve heard both. The X2 however to me is more balanced, has softer treble and delivers a great sound stage while keeping the open sound. And you don’t need any amplification at all to make it sound its best, unlike the HD600. I have to admit I prefer the X2 over the HD600 as well."
https://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/3/

Attachments

• Philips Fidelio X2HR.pdf
    316.1 KB · Views: 196

Robin L

Master Contributor
It's a very good alrounder, and although I, soundstagewise, find the K702 a bit more 'immersive', the X2Hr's open and spacious soundstage is still capturing; and contrary to the K702 - being brutally honest and absolutely picky, and non-forgiving with regard to the quality of the recording - the X2HR are very forgiving. I guess, you will like it.

I recommend Oratory1990's eq, IMO, a must.

In order to prepare you for the awaited arrival of the phones, let's listen to one of the great subjectivists:

"It simply is an excellent headphone that will be hard not to like sound wise. I can see people enjoying this headphone more than the good old Sennheiser HD600. Everyone always compares these 2 models and it’s only normal once you’ve heard both. The X2 however to me is more balanced, has softer treble and delivers a great sound stage while keeping the open sound. And you don’t need any amplification at all to make it sound its best, unlike the HD600. I have to admit I prefer the X2 over the HD600 as well."
https://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/3/
Thanks for the EQ settings. FWIW I'm using the Drop 6XX right now, should make for an interesting contrast.

SeaNNyT

I just got a Sundara and I am finding the clamp force to be a little too much and uncomfortable after about 20 minutes. Would the Ananda feel better in this regard?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Try (carefully) bending the metal parts of the Sundara outwards a bit.

Sundara and Ananda have completely different comfort.

Lefty9

A few days ago I bought my first quality headset the beyer 880 black edition. I must say I am impressed. I was never into headphones and was and am happy listening to my harbeth p3esr powered by a vintage luxman 1050 receiver, v90 dac and foobar. But I must admit, the sound of the beyers for the music I listen, mostly bebop and classic, is excellent.

Top Bottom