• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

phrwn

How does that work out? Unless you just stopped having "power user" needs I don't see how you can benefit from going to laptops from proper custom built PC's, a lot different scenario than say audio.
Yes needs and space changed, but I got a decently powerful laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14), so it's actually pretty capable. Going from custom PC to 2020 MacBook Air was a disaster. The MBA can't even stream a video without overheating. I miss the 49" monitor, but then again it's just another thing to worry about when I move.

Tachyon88

Yes needs and space changed, but I got a decently powerful laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14), so it's actually pretty capable. Going from custom PC to 2020 MacBook Air was a disaster. The MBA can't even stream a video without overheating. I miss the 49" monitor, but then again it's just another thing to worry about when I move.

Consider building a SFFPC. You can make them pretty small and capable.

pma

Major Contributor
Sennheiser HD598, for several years. I have tried some measurements, but have no idea how useful they are.

Sennheiser_HD598.png

Aldoszx

Nothing fancy or expensive.
Based on @solderdude measurements, I have:
ATH-MSR7
K371
Porta Pro
KSC75

tinytea

1. Denon AH-D7200
  2. HifiMan Sundara
  3. Denon AH-D5200 (returned)
  4. Denon AH-D5000
  5. Sennheiser Momentum 2
  6. B&W P7
Something that I may get next: Dan Clark AFO RT, Beyer T5p.2, or Argon MKIII...

Hey there :)

I am interested in what you thought about the D5200 before you returned them?
- maybe if you've tried the HD650's or 6XX, compared to them?
- I'm guessing you liked them but wanted the top of the line D7200?

Also the Sennheiser Momentum 2:
- Do you use it as your wireless go to?
- How is it?
- I've been thinking about it but the BT4.0 and the codec only up to AptX concerns me.

Cheers in advance! Cool cans you got :)

mugbot

Forum Donor
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Audio Technica M50x
Shure Aonic 50

Earphones:

Campfire Andromeda (the limited white ceracote version)
Campfire Polaris 2
Sony MDR-XB90EX
Sony WF-1000XM3
KZ ZS10 & some other Chi Fi fun.

Pretorious

From oldest to newest acquisition:
  • Grado SR60i
  • Audio Technica ATH-AD700
  • AKG K701
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms
  • Sennheiser HD 600
Various circumstances had me switching and buying these different headphones. After they cleared up I settled on the Senns, after much deliberation and desire. Planning on sticking with these now for the foreseeable future. They're wonderful.

samwell7

Current:
Sony MDR-7520
Audiotechnica ATH M50
Etymotic MC5

Had some various others over the years:
AKG K702 (my favourites but weren't practical, also had the anniversary pads for it)
AKG K240S
Sony MDR-SA3000 (they were nice, pretty high-tech drivers for the time)
Sony MDR-V6 (hurt my ears)
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Superlux HD668B (I think the model number is correct)
KRK KNS8400
Alessandro MS1 (ended up modding them pretty heavily)
Rockit R50
Various others that I can't remember (some different AKGs and IEMs)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Headphones may be a bigger business than I might have thought.

How many of you also have five or ten pairs of speakers that you rotate in and out of favor?

samwell7

Headphones may be a bigger business than I might have thought.

How many of you also have five or ten pairs of speakers that you rotate in and out of favor?
They're typically cheaper, take up less space and are easier to swap out as required.

They're also easy to sell and ship, making them pretty appealing.

I've never had more than one speaker set in a location purely for listening purposes (maybe had a few more for home 'studio' use for checking translation etc.)

Tsuchi

Current Headphones/Earbuds
  • Sennheiser HD 800
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohm)
  • Apple Earpods (3.5mm - Love these! I've been through 3 pairs so far. They're hard to beat for the price.)
What I use to have
  • Sennheiser HD 595
  • Sennheiser HD 598
  • Sennheiser HD 600 (Sold my first pair, gave away my 2nd to a friend, now they're on my wish list again. I regret letting them go EVERY time.)
  • Sennheiser HD 650
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X
  • Klipsch Image X10
I'm done with headphones, have been for a while. No more upgrades. I've found money is better invested in speakers. The experience is far more immersive.

Noodles

Current:
  • Koss kph30i :)
  • Sennheiser HD800 (modded)
  • Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen (amiron pads)
  • Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
  • Audioquest Nighthawk
  • some IEM's
I used to have .... alot more, but i decided i'd only get to keep the things i actually want to listen to.

EXIF68

Im not the typical headphone User. Some years ago I bought an AKG K701.
works well but not comparable to a Stax SR009 on the specific tube amp SRM-700T. Last one is in use by my brother.

Noodles

Electrostats are ... interesting, too many factors that can change their sound though.
Besides probably the best electrostat for a reasonable price is not even talked about - the Sonoma one.

MalinYamato

Hey there :)

I am interested in what you thought about the D5200 before you returned them?
- maybe if you've tried the HD650's or 6XX, compared to them?
- I'm guessing you liked them but wanted the top of the line D7200?

Also the Sennheiser Momentum 2:
- Do you use it as your wireless go to?
- How is it?
- I've been thinking about it but the BT4.0 and the codec only up to AptX concerns me.

Cheers in advance! Cool cans you got :)
D5200 sounded good, but the return window was open while I saw a discounted D7200 in France not far from the price of the new D5200 I bought. I compared them and judged that D7200 are worth USD 100 more than D5200, but not more than 100, and hence returned the D5200s.
Why I first bought D5200, not the D7200, was because of complaints that the the headband hurts -- to my surprise and relief, those does not hurt at all. :)
I am using D7200 all the time, also on the go. I really love them, much more than Sundaras which are basically collecting dust, because while at home I tend to listen to speakers as I am a speaker girl with high end B&W speakers. When I do listen to D7200 at home I connect them to a red SMSL D500 with MQA with Tidal HiFi Masters ... when on the go I use E1DA 9038S Gen 3 Susumu 3000... my momentums have served me well and sound better than B&WP7, but they are waaaaaay below D5200 and D7200... D7200s and 9038S are a perfect match,,,,

tinytea

Ah interesting!

That's a pretty good deal only being $100 more!

was because of complaints that the the headband hurts
Ah yes the difficulties of designing a product that fits every man woman and child, and also the problem with buying something based on how someone else think of how it fits on their head physically.

Nonetheless you managed to get exactly what you wanted despite that so good on ya.

on the go I use E1DA 9038S Gen 3 Susumu 300
Cool, I've been considering the 9038D or Qudelix 5k personally but will probably use them with IEMs mostly.

If I do get the 5200's I'll probably end up babying them at home :facepalm:;)

I tend to listen to speakers

Actually I'm a speaker person as well but my speakers right now are just a small Bluetooth one, so my best listening experience is wired 6XX. Only downside is I can't move around as you know but it's a fair trade off for the quality :).

When I get some good speakers it will be ova!o_O

Last edited:
Top Bottom