• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing like replying to my own post but here goes. The person that I bought the MHP-1000 headphones from on eBay reneged ("out of stock" after he said he'd shipped it). I cant find any others for sale anywhere.
  • Why are they not available?
  • Did I dodge a bullet or are these the best headphones ever?
Quick web search later and I'm going with "they are junk"

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Okay i received my dt1990 a few days ago and they are going back okay. The 8k spike hurts my ears after 15 minutes i tried eq'ing 8k -5 decibel still causes hurt and im not going to keep headphone just to eq it to harman target cause thats absolutely stupid. I am sending it back okay? I am upset cause i wanted this headphone cause i listen to soundtracks and classical music and i wanted the extra detail but i guess that won't be happening. i am angry.

Just in case some of you are wondering what the pain feels like. After you listen for prolonged period you get a very slight pain with a feeling of numbness in your ear. The numbness feeling can last for a while but mine seems to have gone away fully after an hour or so. I was trying to listen to see if i could keep the 1990 but its just a no go. I am very disappointed.

There is a passive solution for this. Totally removes the treble spike. No need to EQ the lows when using it with A-pads.

joztom

Sennheiser 414
AKG K141 Monitor
AKG K702

EV Sentry 100E vintage pair monitor
EV Sentry 500 vintage pair monitor
K&M stands

Last edited:
There is a passive solution for this. Totally removes the treble spike. No need to EQ the lows when using it with A-pads.
I know and thank you solderdude i've done the research before buying. I'm just not willing to spend that money on top of what i already spent on it. Thank you though, sir. I read your review! I still do have some time to determine if i want to keep it or not.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Filter is only € 23.-, a very small portion compared to the price of a DT1990, even when bought second hand.
Shipping costs depends on destination and such.

Filter is only € 23.-, a very small portion compared to the DT1990, even when second hand.
Shipping costs depends on destination and such.
I got it for 444 USD (new) no tax a few days ago. It was a calculated purchase just cause i wanted something that was the opposite of my R70x. Do the tygr foam discs ruin the soundstage? Cause i love how centered the soundstage is on this headphone.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Shipped to the US would be around $ 50.- and would take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I had more than enough headphones, but what do you know, I added DCA Aeon RT closed with Dekoni elite hybrid pads to my collection.

Interesting and delightful piece. I'm running without EQ and it sounds kind of "flat", but not in a bad way. There is just nothing that grabs your attention, it just sounds... right.

Except the bass. There is a plenty of tight bass even with the Dekoni pads reducing it by ~3dB.

henologist

In order of current usage:
  1. Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk - got a decent office job and wanted to have a good value mid-market IEM to wear all day
  2. AKG K612 Pro - my first open-back headphones, bought for $100 off eBay, usually worn while gaming and hanging out in Discord calls
  3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - the first over-ears I ever bought with my own money, used as daily drivers for almost a decade, now permanently attached to my DJ rig
Previously owned, from most to least recent:
  1. RHA MA750 - really enjoyed these for a few months before the 3.5mm jack broke, was too lazy at the time to get them repaired, learned my lesson to only get IEMs with replaceable cables
  2. Shure IEMs - my first decent headphones, can't find the model but they had a similar barrel shape to Etymotics, another victim of a broken cable
  3. Skullcandy over-ears - first headphone I was disappointed with, way worse than the IEMs, used to stick it in a lunchbox as a makeshift portable speaker
  4. Skullcandy INK'd(?) - first IEMs and first headphones that didn't come with an iPod, proper late-00's middle schooler swag
I just ordered a pair of ATH-R70x's (thanks to the deals thread), excited to see how it compares to the K612's. It gets a lot of praise for its imaging/soundstage and that's mostly what I want open-backs for, everything else I can get out of the Blessing 2: Dusks just fine.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apple Airpods Pro 2
Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Audeze LCD-X (2021)
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
Austrian Audio Hi-X60
Moon Drop Chu
Sennheiser HD497
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser PX100 ii
Tin T2

Sennheiser HD 800S & Sennheiser momentum (not sure which version, probably 1 or 2).

Momentum for on the road/public transport, and the 800D with EQ on a cheap android phone with Poweramp EQ as player and a Topping G5. Not unhappy.
why? g5 works badly with your 800s?

khensu

I liked the sound of the Moondrop Chu, but I just couldn't get them to fit comfortably. I gave them to my son (who really likes them) and I'm sticking with the Truthear x Crinacle Zeros, which are very comfortable for me and sound great.

HiFiMan HE400se: Still use these quite a bit. With proper EQ, I do love these. Probably split my time between these and the Zero.
Oppo PM-3: I find I'm not using these anymore. I like the sound, but the ear cups are too small for me and they make my ears hot super fast... lol

I just (pre)-ordered the Ollo S5X. The next batch is supposed to ship around the end of March. Looking forward to checking these out.

lowmagnet

HD-650, ER-6p, TR-50, 225i, Nuraphones, Mobius, HE400i, HE4xx, Pixel Buds, Arya Stealth

I like the Arya Stealth the most, can wear them all day long.

AngryZeus

I’ve owned HD800, HD800S, Hifiman HE1000 original and V2
The HD800 original and S version stand true to the best imaging I’ve heard
Hifiman had slightly less imaging but had wildly better bass, and the larger diaphragm made the music “feel” bigger
I’ve moved onto stereo / HT setup but once kids are in the picture I’ll probably get back into headphones

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have now owned and been listening to the OLLO S5X daily for a couple of weeks and can state that these are a pair of really good headphones. I just get more and more satisfied with them. These headphones were a real hit. No EQ is needed, but I have dampened the treble a little with the help of thin felt as suggested by @solderdude

khensu

I have now owned and been listening to the OLLO S5X daily for a couple of weeks and can state that these are a pair of really good headphones. I just get more and more satisfied with them. These headphones were a real hit. No EQ is needed, but I have dampened the treble a little with the help of thin felt as suggested by @solderdude
Nice to hear! I placed a pre-order for the round that should ship the last week of March. Looking forward to checking them out.

D

Deleted member 35357

After 3-4 months of use with my DT 900 X Pro the headband has started to fall apart, only after 3 months the glue that hold the "fake leather" in place on the headband started to fail and now 4 months in the whole thing is practically loose and the foam can be extracted and hardly stays in place any more.

The leather thing is glued to hard plastic and seems it doesn't last that long. 3months and it's starting to get loose and 4months and it's not stuck anywhere. You need to get a replacement part for this or try to fix it yourself.

Sorely disappointed in this design for the headband foam, this thing needs frequent replacements if you use these daily.
20230318_131320.JPG

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom