• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got the OLLO S5X home today and have been listening to them for a little while. With the reservation that this is a first preliminary impression, my immediate spontaneous impression was that this is a bit like my AKG 702, but with a bottom in the lower registers, which the AKG 702 largely lacks. That's not the only difference. Overall, OLLO has a more pleasant sound image, but that perhaps says little about the character of the OLLO headphones. I don't think the treble is particularly intrusive. They bring out details, but I like that. I perceive the middle register as smooth and very full. The bass is definitely there, but if there is something I would adjust with EQ it would probably be the bass that I would boost a bit. But I notice that the bass varies quite a lot depending on which recording I listen to.
EDIT: OLLO say these headphones are for immersive listening, and I think it very well describes them. I think these phones brings me very close to the music, like if I was almost on the stage with the band. It brings the listener into details that other headphones or speakers need lot of volume to bring to ones ears.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the OLLO S5X home today and have been listening to them for a little while. With the reservation that this is a first preliminary impression, my immediate spontaneous impression was that this is a bit like my AKG 702, but with a bottom in the lower registers, which the AKG 702 largely lacks. That's not the only difference. Overall, OLLO has a more pleasant sound image, but that perhaps says little about the character of the OLLO headphones. I don't think the treble is particularly intrusive. They bring out details, but I like that. I perceive the middle register as smooth and very full. The bass is definitely there, but if there is something I would adjust with EQ it would probably be the bass that I would boost a bit. But I notice that the bass varies quite a lot depending on which recording I listen to.
I'm not gonna pollute this thread, so this is just a real quick aside. I saw you have the K702, you've probably tried the Oratory EQ already, but I've managed to measure 4 units of K702 myself and have done an EQ to Harman, you're welcome to try it if you like:
I find that to be a lot better on my 4 units of K702 than the Oratory EQ (the latest Oratory EQ is too bright for my units, as his measurements for the K702 have changed a lot over the last couple of years, his measurements for this headphone have gotten darker, which means his EQ's have gotten brighter, which doesn't suit my units).

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
saving up for a stealth >:) if anyone can convince me otherwise, please save me the cash

There is no perfection, and I prefer variety being the spice of life. I’ll take 3 or 4 different incredibly competent headphones over a single end-all headphone for the same price. Especially with the easy availability of EQ. Seriously… my ears are already in decline after five decades of existence.

Reactions: sea

Down South

I've used Senn 600 & 650, a couple of Beyers - shame about the shrill top end and a couple of years ago bought new from Hong Kong - Oppo PM2. Perfect they aren't but so enjoyable to use for hours, especially changing out the stock ear pieces. Strangely the pseudo leather covering over the foam has begun moulting. I don't care they sound great, I don't find the bass light at all and the mids are great.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
saving up for a stealth >:) if anyone can convince me otherwise, please save me the cash
Saving up for a $4000 headphone minus fifteen percent strikes me as poor financial management. Doesn't Amir point to science that states the human being self corrects for variations in frequency response? In other words, after a few minutes, everything sounds pretty much the same.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saving up for a $4000 headphone minus fifteen percent strikes me as poor financial management. Doesn't Amir point to science that states the human being self corrects for variations in frequency response? In other words, after a few minutes, everything sounds pretty much the same.
Only up to a point, but in my experience there is fidelity left on the table still.....until it's optimised.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Only up to a point, but in my experience there is fidelity left on the table still.....until it's optimised.
I don't know if the DCA Aeon closed and the Stealth are different enough to justify that kind of cash, unless it's pull the money out of your wallet kinda cash.

I suspect the difference between Aeon 2 Noir and Aeon OS closed is most of the way to Stealth ... and he won't have to save thousands!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if the DCA Aeon closed and the Stealth are different enough to justify that kind of cash, unless it's pull the money out of your wallet kinda cash.

I suspect the difference between Aeon 2 Noir and Aeon OS closed is most of the way to Stealth ... and he won't have to save thousands!
He said he had the Aeon Flow Closed (he said "the original"), so I think it's this one:
Aeon Flow Closed.jpg

In that case then this EQ's really easy to Harman, so I probably wouldn't just jump straight on The Stealth. Distortion measurements for the old Aeon Flow Closed look pretty good from solderdude's diyaudioheaven website, following is tested at around 90dB (at 1kHz):
dist-aeon-r-percent.png

If I was him I'd probably just try some other well reviewed headphones that have been measured on ASR that are relatively inexpensive to The Stealth to see how it stacks up against his old Oratory EQ'd Aeon Flow Closed - maybe an Oratory EQ'd HD560s for about £150 when it's on sale. I just think his Aeon Flow Closed should be pretty darn good after EQ from the measurements.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Aeon Flow Closed look pretty good from solderdude
If I was him I'd probably just try some other well reviewed headphones that have been measured on ASR that are relatively inexpensive to The Stealth to see how it stacks up against his old Oratory EQ'd Aeon Flow Closed - maybe an Oratory EQ'd HD560s for about £150 when it's on sale. I just think his Aeon Flow Closed should be pretty darn good after EQ from the measurements.
More expensive does not necessarily mean a corresponding increase in sound. This will be especially true in a family of planars like Audeze or DCA although obviously there are exceptions, DCA can be eq'd as Rob points out.

I think the money is better spent somewhere else. Focal maybe? ZMF for a warmer sound?

I know subjective headphones can be seen as a scam by most people here, so here are some comments from someone with no reason to lie, not to me, not to himself as he has the option to cancel the trade -- a 200 hour broken in "as new" ZMF Atrium for a 4 year old "mint" Focal Utopia '16 (he can send back the ZMF instead of sending his Focal):

the Atrium has such incredible, life-like forward projection ...

Utopia (king of DDs as far as I'm concerned) ... is a step up in performance ...

Atrium's soundstage and deeper, rumbling bass are ... more appealing to me.

Utopia is a tiny bit congested ... [but thanks to] perfect separation and exceptional imaging ... things don't get cluttered.

Bass is also tighter and more controlled on Utopia, giving it a more analytical and slightly cooler sound.

Utopia is a surgical instrument ... Atrium is more "fun" and a little more engaging ... but both sound incredible to my ears.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More expensive does not necessarily mean a corresponding increase in sound. This will be especially true in a family of planars like Audeze or DCA although obviously there are exceptions, DCA can be eq'd as Rob points out.

I think the money is better spent somewhere else. Focal maybe? ZMF for a warmer sound?

I know subjective headphones can be seen as a scam by most people here, so here are some comments from someone with no reason to lie, not to me, not to himself as he has the option to cancel the trade -- a 200 hour broken in "as new" ZMF Atrium for a 4 year old "mint" Focal Utopia '16 (he can send back the ZMF instead of sending his Focal):

the Atrium has such incredible, life-like forward projection ...

Utopia (king of DDs as far as I'm concerned) ... is a step up in performance ...

Atrium's soundstage and deeper, rumbling bass are ... more appealing to me.

Utopia is a tiny bit congested ... [but thanks to] perfect separation and exceptional imaging ... things don't get cluttered.

Bass is also tighter and more controlled on Utopia, giving it a more analytical and slightly cooler sound.

Utopia is a surgical instrument ... Atrium is more "fun" and a little more engaging ... but both sound incredible to my ears.
Hmm, I don't know what to make of all that apart from your first paragraph where you reference what I said - the rest is unreliable subjective descriptions which I assume is of the guy using the headphones at stock without EQ - it's just not very useful and is at best very confusing. That kind of way of approaching headphones goes so much against what I believe to be the best approaches, and against the ethos of ASR here - that's no way of sucessfully recommending a headphone. I think measurements should be heavily used as a starting point, and then EQ & decisions made about which headphone to keep after that kind of experimentation......EQ experimentation based on initial measurements.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Hmm, I don't know what to make of all that apart from your first paragraph where you reference what I said - the rest is unreliable subjective descriptions which I assume is of the guy using the headphones at stock without EQ - it's just not very useful and is at best very confusing. That kind of way of approaching headphones goes so much against what I believe to be the best approaches, and against the ethos of ASR here - that's no way of sucessfully recommending a headphone. I think measurements should be heavily used as a starting point, and then EQ & decisions made about which headphone to keep after that kind of experimentation......EQ experimentation based on initial measurements.
What's confusing? He's saying Utopia is a better headphone, but he likes how music sounds better through the Atrium.

And he explains some examples of why. If you don't understand his very simple explanations, I suggest better nutrition. Perhaps you should apply science to what you eat, instead of relying on your taste buds preferences.

I was agreeing with this statement you made - he should try a different TYPE of headphone and may find he prefers a different sound:

In that case then this EQ's really easy to Harman, so I probably wouldn't just jump straight on The Stealth.

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was missing is that Utopia is so far up the diminishing returns street that you can barely see it without telescope. As is every other multi thousand dollar headphone.

If you need to seriously save to get one, then don't.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's confusing? He's saying Utopia is a better headphone, but he likes how music sounds better through the Atrium.

And he explains some examples of why. If you don't understand his very simple explanations, I suggest better nutrition. Perhaps you should apply science to what you eat, instead of relying on your taste buds preferences.

I was agreeing with this statement you made - he should try a different TYPE of headphone and may find he prefers a different sound:

In that case then this EQ's really easy to Harman, so I probably wouldn't just jump straight on The Stealth.
You've missed the point - I don't care what some person thinks about a headphone for the reasons I explained in my prior post - frankly it was a ridiculous post by you. We both agree though that @sea shouldn't just jump straight on the Stealth, especially if he has to save up for it.

Also, your second paragraph talking about "nutrition" & "tastebuds", trying to be insulting - that's just sad, you need to get yourself sorted out, I won't be taking you seriously anytime soon.

Last edited:

Jflijohn

I just bought a set of pre-owned (yes, used) McIntosh MHP-1000 headphones. I bought them on a very high recommendation from someone that I respect but, I bought them without trying them (I haven’t received them yet so, the jury is still out).
Everything I read for both speakers and headphones says not to buy anything without trying them at home. I know of NO ONE that will allow me to bring speakers or headphones home to test.
So my question to all of you is, how do you all buy headphones and/ or speakers?

Recommendations?
Specs?
Listening tests?

sea

There is no perfection, and I prefer variety being the spice of life. I’ll take 3 or 4 different incredibly competent headphones over a single end-all headphone for the same price. Especially with the easy availability of EQ. Seriously… my ears are already in decline after five decades of existence.
you're probably right ! I probably should try some other (more reasonably priced) headphones out first.
You've missed the point - I don't care what some person thinks about a headphone for the reasons I explained in my prior post - frankly it was a ridiculous post by you. We both agree though that @sea shouldn't just jump straight on the Stealth, especially if he has to save up for it.

Also, your second paragraph talking about "nutrition" & "tastebuds", trying to be insulting - that's just sad, you need to get yourself sorted out, I won't be taking you seriously anytime soon.
He said he had the Aeon Flow Closed (he said "the original"), so I think it's this one:
View attachment 266637
In that case then this EQ's really easy to Harman, so I probably wouldn't just jump straight on The Stealth. Distortion measurements for the old Aeon Flow Closed look pretty good from solderdude's diyaudioheaven website, following is tested at around 90dB (at 1kHz):
dist-aeon-r-percent.png

sorry if i triggered anyone by saying I was saving up for the stealth lmao
i'll be honest, it's a combination of "shiny new thing" and having a local guy posting theirs for sale at a really attractive price (around 2500usd... if my maths right). while it's not exactly gonna make me have to sell a kidney or something, that amount of money is significant enough to me that i have to do some mental gymnastics to justify it lol.

well my reason for wanting the stealth is pretty silly anyway, i'm mostly listening on my ipad pro, and only my pc has eq. i use hd6xxs for my bedside setup, so it's more of an upgrade for that other than the aeon flow closed 1s which i use with my pc with eq

I do love my old aeon flow closed!!

isostasy

you're probably right ! I probably should try some other (more reasonably priced) headphones out first.

sorry if i triggered anyone by saying I was saving up for the stealth lmao
i'll be honest, it's a combination of "shiny new thing" and having a local guy posting theirs for sale at a really attractive price (around 2500usd... if my maths right). while it's not exactly gonna make me have to sell a kidney or something, that amount of money is significant enough to me that i have to do some mental gymnastics to justify it lol.

well my reason for wanting the stealth is pretty silly anyway, i'm mostly listening on my ipad pro, and only my pc has eq. i use hd6xxs for my bedside setup, so it's more of an upgrade for that other than the aeon flow closed 1s which i use with my pc with eq

I do love my old aeon flow closed!!

62.5% of the original price sounds reasonable depending on condition. I expect the Stealth is limited enough that it would be easy to resell at no loss as well? In which case doesn't it mainly come down to your liquid assets: if you have to sell/ save for $2500 headphones, probably not a good choice, but if you have $2500 spare which can be recouped easily it's not an objectively poor/irresponsible financial decision.

If the seller is local they might be happy to let you audition it? If it were me selling it I would definitely let potential buyers audition; this is what I do with other expensive things like bikes, musical instruments, and even then not close to $2500. So I'd almost expect the seller to let me audition it.

Okay i received my dt1990 a few days ago and they are going back okay. The 8k spike hurts my ears after 15 minutes i tried eq'ing 8k -5 decibel still causes hurt and im not going to keep headphone just to eq it to harman target cause thats absolutely stupid. I am sending it back okay? I am upset cause i wanted this headphone cause i listen to soundtracks and classical music and i wanted the extra detail but i guess that won't be happening. i am angry.

Just in case some of you are wondering what the pain feels like. After you listen for prolonged period you get a very slight pain with a feeling of numbness in your ear. The numbness feeling can last for a while but mine seems to have gone away fully after an hour or so. I was trying to listen to see if i could keep the 1990 but its just a no go. I am very disappointed.

Last edited:

Jflijohn

I just bought a set of pre-owned (yes, used) McIntosh MHP-1000 headphones. I bought them on a very high recommendation from someone that I respect but, I bought them without trying them (I haven’t received them yet so, the jury is still out).
Everything I read for both speakers and headphones says not to buy anything without trying them at home. I know of NO ONE that will allow me to bring speakers or headphones home to test.
So my question to all of you is, how do you all buy headphones and/ or speakers?

Recommendations?
Specs?
Listening tests?
Nothing like replying to my own post but here goes. The person that I bought the MHP-1000 headphones from on eBay reneged ("out of stock" after he said he'd shipped it). I cant find any others for sale anywhere.
  • Why are they not available?
  • Did I dodge a bullet or are these the best headphones ever?

Top Bottom