• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

CS Science

I have already bought the PreSonus Eris E5 XT. Is that one the smaller version or something?
Please do review the PreSonus Eris 3.5 2nd Gen.
As i am really interested in a budget friendly, small setup for my desk at the moment i am thinking of pairing two of these with an Eris Sub8 to hopefully get a bit more "bass in the belly".
I have to admit i just found your scientific reviews but i instantly became a big fan.
You do gods work measuring and reviewing all this audio equipment, i will certainly nerd a bit more through your reviews in this forum.
Thank you. :)

SivKiv

This is far from a budget speaker, as it sits within the territory of Genelec's 8010As in terms of price point, but there's some new speaker claiming to be a portable studio monitor, called the UNIT-4. I have 0 idea on the credibility of the company, nor does it look like they have any reliable measurements, but I'd think it'll still be interesting to see how it measures. I'm not sure if you'll be willing to fork 800 USD for this though, seems abit sketchy after all. It likely doesn't help that it operates solely on a wireless connection, and I'd believe that would introduce some problems with measuring these wouldn't it?

oozlum

This is far from a budget speaker, as it sits within the territory of Genelec's 8010As in terms of price point, but there's some new speaker claiming to be a portable studio monitor, called the UNIT-4. I have 0 idea on the credibility of the company, nor does it look like they have any reliable measurements, but I'd think it'll still be interesting to see how it measures. I'm not sure if you'll be willing to fork 800 USD for this though, seems abit sketchy after all. It likely doesn't help that it operates solely on a wireless connection, and I'd believe that would introduce some problems with measuring these wouldn't it?
AIAIAI audio almost touches lifestyle territorries for younger demographics that are interested in design and comfort of use. You pay the price for that (think teenager engineering) but I doubt it can be compared to Genelec audio quality approach.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would suggest these very small desktop speakers:

I have a pair and I was thinking of doing some Quasi-Anechoic measurements in the next week but obviously the Klippel would be better :D

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Closer to 8020 on price. It does have TRS balanced inputs too, so measurement souldn't be a problem. The pictured use of the wedge shape to tilt for desktop use has the tweeter to the side though. I hope you can turn off the LED ring!
https://aiaiai.audio/studio-monitors/unit-4-wireless-plus
https://audioxpress.com/news/aiaiai-introduces-unit-4-wireless-portable-studio-monitors

Edit: and the wireless protocol is proprietary, although it does Bluetooth too. Haven't checked whether there's a published API, or whether you're just stuffed if they stop maintaining the app.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL K2 S9900

/It's a big budget

SivKiv

AIAIAI audio almost touches lifestyle territorries for younger demographics that are interested in design and comfort of use. You pay the price for that (think teenager engineering) but I doubt it can be compared to Genelec audio quality approach.
Alright, thats good to know. Guess we're still a long way from good audio in a smaller form factor haha. And yeah, I don't expect them to even come close to Genelecs, just compared these two because I wanted to highlight how great of a sound we could potentially get instead for the same price.

SivKiv

Closer to 8020 on price. It does have TRS balanced inputs too, so measurement souldn't be a problem. The pictured use of the wedge shape to tilt for desktop use has the tweeter to the side though. I hope you can turn off the LED ring!
https://aiaiai.audio/studio-monitors/unit-4-wireless-plus
https://audioxpress.com/news/aiaiai-introduces-unit-4-wireless-portable-studio-monitors

Edit: and the wireless protocol is proprietary, although it does Bluetooth too. Haven't checked whether there's a published API, or whether you're just stuffed if they stop maintaining the app.
Ah, alright, that'll make it easier then(at least, should anyone buy one and send one over to amir).

Doenerkunde

There are a few spherical low cost speakers by Reckhorn from Germany that I find to be interesting for their low price point, style factor and seemingly decent constructive details.

The smallest model is the Reckhorn S-150. 6 inch sphere with a 3,5 inch full range driver costing only 22,95€:
s150.pngS-15 Kugellautsprecher Frequenzgang.jpg

The model above that (S-230) consists of a 9 inch sphere with a 5 inch coax costing 59€ as B goods (minor visual defects):
s230.pngUpdated-S-230-SPL-FRE.jpg

The driver that is used in the S-230 seems to be of pretty decent quality (slotted membrane, die cast basket, ventilated spider, asymmetrical surround):
driver.png

There is an even bigger model (S-300) consisting of a 12 inch sphere with a 7,5 inch coax costing 149€ (but there are discounts for b-goods and customer returns), but it is less „plug and play“ since it is recommended for use with DSP crossovers:
s300.png

CS Science

As i just bought a PreSonus Audio Interface after Julian Krause's review and i am blown away by the value on this thing i was interested in the other products from PreSonus.
Also i saw that many Youtubers recommend the Eris 3.5 but ofc they don't do the testing on the level that amirm does it.
Do you guys think i have a good train of thought that i want to combine these smaller 3.5" drivers for mids, plus the tweeters on them for the highs with a 8" subwoofer for the punchy bass or would 5" drivers in the monitors be even better still?

oozlum

There are a few spherical low cost speakers by Reckhorn from Germany that I find to be interesting for their low price point, style factor and seemingly decent constructive details.

The smallest model is the Reckhorn S-150. 6 inch sphere with a 3,5 inch full range driver costing only 22,95€:
View attachment 315135View attachment 315140

The model above that (S-230) consists of a 9 inch sphere with a 5 inch coax costing 59€ as B goods (minor visual defects):
View attachment 315137View attachment 315141

The driver that is used in the S-230 seems to be of pretty decent quality (slotted membrane, die cast basket, ventilated spider, asymmetrical surround):
View attachment 315138

There is an even bigger model (S-300) consisting of a 12 inch sphere with a 7,5 inch coax costing 149€ (but there are discounts for b-goods and customer returns), but it is less „plug and play“ since it is recommended for use with DSP crossovers:
View attachment 315139
S-300 would be very interesting to see tested by ASR. Perhaps the connection to the amp (and the use of passive xover) can make this to the front page easily.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 315135View attachment 315140

View attachment 315137View attachment 315141

View attachment 315138

View attachment 315139

These seem notably different than just about everything that has been measured. I would be curious to see something like this or a Devialet Phantom.

If there's a perfect speaker to be made, it will be coaxial.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest these very small desktop speakers:

I have a pair and I was thinking of doing some Quasi-Anechoic measurements in the next week but obviously the Klippel would be better :D
Erin just measured it and it performed quite bad. YT Review to be posted soon...

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Erin just measured it and it performed quite bad. YT Review to be posted soon...
Yes I spotted that this morning. It will be interesting to see what he says. In my in room measurements they are super bright and the bass disappears at about 55 hz - but they are so tiny they take no space on my desk - I was thinking of pairing them with a subwoofer and using minidsp to both EQ them and do the filers / crossover for the subwoofer.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Sounds like they would EQ well - although their ultimate SPL max will be limited - and bass down to 55Hz is quite exceptional given their size...

But you wouldn't want to use them without EQ.

Top Bottom