• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the reasons to choose Class A/AB/H over D in this day and age?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The next level is recycling, and I'm left wondering if boards covered with adhesive will even recycle well at the level of crushing and reclaiming metals and minerals.
Of course not! The ones which aren't taken apart by child labor in some back corner of the planet will get chucked into either landfills or the ocean. On the other hand, there's close to zero chance my vintage tube gear will ever see a landfill, even long after I'm gone.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course not! The ones which aren't taken apart by child labor in some back corner of the planet will get chucked into either landfills or the ocean. On the other hand, there's close to zero chance my vintage tube gear will ever see a landfill, even long after I'm gone.
99% of tube equipment made in the 20th century is now in a landfill.

To class D credit, at least the volume of the really bad stuff is greatly reduced.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
99% of tube equipment made in the 20th century is now in a landfill.
Uh, where do you get that information? Any references you care to share beyond what some dude said on YouTube?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Uh, where do you get that information? Any references you care to share beyond what some dude said on YouTube?
You may need to agree what "tube equipment" means in this context - just good quality hifi amplification, or everything that ever had a valve in it. I'd guess the percentages may look quite different.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You may need to agree what "tube equipment" means in this context - just good quality hifi amplification, or everything that ever had a valve in it. I'd guess the percentages may look quite different.
In the context of this forum, its certainly tube HiFi gear I would refer to. If you mean every tube TV or radio ever made, of course its all out of service, but then every human who interacted with that gear is also out of service.

Trell

Major Contributor
In the context of this forum, its certainly tube HiFi gear I would refer to. If you mean every tube TV or radio ever made, of course its all out of service, but then every human who interacted with that gear is also out of service.

I’m out of service? o_O

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I’m out of service? o_O
Well you're still responding, but you likely will be out of service soon enough. It happens to the best of us.
:eek:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think it should stop nagging about how bad tubes are for HiFi, vs transistors. Most people who write on ASR, who like tubes, know this. There are no cubs (is it called that in English? The term to use in the context that is). It misses the whole where the very quality of the sound reproduction is just one aspect. It's DIY with tubes, looks, sound history with tubes and so on.:)

Let people do what the hell they want. We're talking about a hobby here. It is not, though it may seem so,a question of life or death. It's a matter of gadgets.

Amplifiers should also be put in context, as previously mentioned in this thread. In many other threads. Namely, there is something called speakers and their impact on the sound chain must be taken into account.

However, I will not stop being fascinated by how expensive some tube amplifiers can be. I find it extremely difficult to understand why you buy a new tube amp for $ 15,000 or more when there are classics like:

But again, I do not judge anyone who buys a new tube amp for $ 15,000. People can do as they please.

Tube's amps by the way, considering the title of this thread can go in class A as well as class AB.

I'm not directly into tubes BUT could imagine a hybrid solution mostly because it looks cozy with tubes, when they shine beautifully. Tube pre amp of quality (yes there are those with s / n around 100 dB) in combination with well something like, see picture. Damn fans that sound if you do not .hm ... see picture two..he he ...:p

Incidentally, such an ugly t. Amp should if possible (considering if you can pull cables and the length of the cables) be thrown into a closet so you do not have to look at the ugly shit.
(my subwoffer amplifier in the picture)

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-10_07-01-13.png
    shot_2021-12-10_07-01-13.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211207_093232.jpg
    IMG_20211207_093232.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Where could millions (billions?) of tons of absolete consumer and industrial electronic equipment built in the 20th century be? In quaint antique shops?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Where could millions (billions?) of tons of absolete consumer and industrial electronic equipment built in the 20th century be? In quaint antique shops?
But surely that accounts for discarded solid state and vacuum tube electronics, not to mention every other type of waste humans have generated for longer than just the 20th century. Discarded plastic waste in the oceans is probably a larger issue than old vacuum tube electronics ever could be.

So what on earth is your point exactly?

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
But surely that accounts for discarded solid state and vacuum tube electronics, not to mention every other type of waste humans have generated for longer than just the 20th century. Discarded plastic waste in the oceans is probably a larger issue than old vacuum tube electronics ever could be.

So what on earth is your point exactly?
An obvious one. Class D is physically much smaller and lighter, hence less pressure on the environment from the waste point of view.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at recent reviews (Topping PA5) and the well established Class D amps from Hypex and Purifi I fail to see how - looking from at a straight rational and scientifc viewpoint - an amp should be anything besides Class D nowadays.
The Benchmark AHB2 is an exception of course but I expect to see more amps like the PA5 that deliver exceptional performance in Class D in a small and efficient form factor, and even improving over time.

This thread is not supposed to be a subjective fundamentalist discussion.

I'd just like to know technical reasons why there is still a place for A/B/AB/H in the future.

It's the complete package , class-D usually sells in the form of miniature desktop amps or industrial looking boxes that are power amps .
And many traditional design in the form off a nice fully featured integrated are usually AB amps .

it does not have to be like this , but that's seems to be the current implementation .

There are notable exceptions that points to the future like NAD for example .

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
It's the complete package , class-D usually sells in the form of miniature desktop amps or industrial looking boxes that are power amps .
And many traditional design in the form off a nice fully featured integrated are usually AB amps .

it does not have to be like this , but that's seems to be the current implementation .

There are notable exceptions that points to the future like NAD for example .
Here is a vendor who adds a custom input circuit and a nice box.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
An obvious one. Class D is physically much smaller and lighter, hence less pressure on the environment from the waste point of view.
You can do better than that. That's a pretty weak argument.
:rolleyes:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Moderately good quality class A/B can have a life cycle of 20 to 30 years. Right now, we have no idea of the life cycle of class D ....... especially the merchandise that is glaringly smaller and lighter. It may be a quarter of the weight and size, but it may also have a quarter of the longevity. Jim
In my system, the newest power amplifier I have is over 30 years old; that's my SS class A/B subwoofer amp. Most of my other amplifiers, both tube and SS are at least 40 years old. About a month ago, I replaced the filter caps on my Dynaco MKIII tube amps. No other maintenance has been done on any of the others, and they certainly ain't destined for the landfill anytime soon. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Then there is the question. Just because it's new, it does not automatically have to be good. Something that was most quickly mentioned in this thread:

Rega IO:
View attachment 171278

Vs

Yamaha CR-600
View attachment 171279

Then add features and which one you think looks best. Best fit in the listening room, living room. What can the choice be then?

I'd love to have a CR-200, 400, 600, or 800 for the collection. :)
The only one I have from that model year/line-up is the CR-1000. It's a pretty nice receiver, actually, but with an odd disco aesthetic that, while quite "of its time", was unbecoming of a Yamaha. ;)

a CR-1000 underneath a CR-620

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Moderately good quality class A/B can have a life cycle of 20 to 30 years. Right now, we have no idea of the life cycle of class D ....... especially the merchandise that is glaringly smaller and lighter. It may be a quarter of the weight and size, but it may also have a quarter of the longevity. Jim
Why would that be? Class D may last longer - they run cool, has smaller caps, etc.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Bummed that this thread became about serviceability and reliability.
Why? Those are all part of the equation -- and if the excesses of the past century or two have taught us anything (and, granted, that is not a given), one would hope that the cradle to grave cost of "technological/lifestyle improvements" is worthy of reckoning.

Top Bottom