• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

Focus SE

I’m going to speak through my ignorance here but I heard that when it comes to the processing of 24 bit technology the wattage required is considerably higher. If I’m wrong let me know but I’m interested in the theory.

Steve81

Forum Donor
I’m going to speak through my ignorance here but I heard that when it comes to the processing of 24 bit technology the wattage required is considerably higher. If I’m wrong let me know but I’m interested in the theory.

That would be false. 24 bits ostensibly provides more dynamic range, but that’s not exactly what defines power requirements . As ever, it ever comes down to how much power you need to reach desired output levels in your space, with your specific speakers.

Edit: As is, 16 bit provides 96dB nominally (less with dithering). That’s quite adequate for most consumer content. Realistically, there’s only so loud you can listen, and so soft you can hear without getting drowned out by background noise in your room.

IMG_2034.png

Last edited:

JCAS

???
Most pro amps, especially the high power ones, are class D. Somehow, I doubt the live sound people don't care about reliability.

BTW. Welcome to ASR.
I've been out of Hi Fi for about. 12+ years for various reasons and recently went into storage a resurrected my stuff. I
didn't know many high end amps were D now, the last I heard long ago wasn't very good for these amps. Looks like I'll
have to get re acquainted with the latest and ASV looks to be a good place to get into it. I've never been high end
most of what I have is Rotel and Monitor Audio speakers and a few others. and Sony Digital Processing control preamp which I
had lots a enjoyment playing with. I have the bug again since going through my approx. 500 CD's so I look forward to
seeing what's going on in Hi Fi. Thanks for answering my thread.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been out of Hi Fi for about. 12+ years for various reasons and recently went into storage a resurrected my stuff. I
didn't know many high end amps were D now, the last I heard long ago wasn't very good for these amps. Looks like I'll
have to get re acquainted with the latest and ASV looks to be a good place to get into it. I've never been high end
most of what I have is Rotel and Monitor Audio speakers and a few others. and Sony Digital Processing control preamp which I
had lots a enjoyment playing with. I have the bug again since going through my approx. 500 CD's so I look forward to
seeing what's going on in Hi Fi. Thanks for answering my thread.
Today in the market, Dutch and Danish Class D amps are probably the cleanest to power ratio amps you can find. Probably cleanest to power efficiency ratio and cleanest to cost ratio amps too.

Clean meaning low noise and distortion.

Last edited:

JCAS

Today in the market, Dutch and Danish Class D amps are probably the cleanest to power ratio amps you can find. Probably cleanest to power efficiency ratio and cleanest to cost ratio amps too.

Clean meaning low noise and distortion.
Forgive my lack of knowledge on class D.. Is "Dutch and Danish" a brand name of class D amps or a manufacture of class D amps?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Forgive my lack of knowledge on class D.. Is "Dutch and Danish" a brand name of class D amps or a manufacture of class D amps?
All good, however the poster means The Netherlands (which many call Holland, even though that is just a province) and Denmark. Hypex are based in The Netherlands (modules made in Malaysia) and Purifi based in Denmark (modules made in China). There are many manufacturers from smaller to larger that use these modules in their amps, many of which have been tested here and are in the review index.

JSmith

Focus SE

Denmark is where the the ice technology was developed. My understanding is that was the most significant gain in class D. That gives them a pretty good head start.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So you come on beefing with me about expressing an opinion (which btw it wasn't, it's a fact on the state of the market place) and then you drop the classic
"Class A amp is superior" opinion?

OK there.
If you’re not cool enough to get the pop culture reference here you’re a lost cause. ;)

Last edited:

JCAS

Thanks guys, For years I stayed away from high power amps, especially class A ( I had to turn my air conditioner up to much! and my wallet wasn't fat enough) and leaned heavily toward higher efficiently speakers and smaller amps. Now looking at all these class D amp high output ( hopefully they aren't as ridicules as some solid state ratings in the past) I may start looking for another set of speakers that need more wattage to run well.
It looks like this Netherland tech is more of what I like " clean sound is important to me."
Since we have moved to a new house ( downsizing ) my new listening room is a smaller room I use for office and now listening space, so actually I don't need larger amps
Anyway I'm glad I found this place to get me moving in the right direction for Hi Fi, Thanks

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys, For years I stayed away from high power amps, especially class A ( I had to turn my air conditioner up to much! and my wallet wasn't fat enough) and leaned heavily toward higher efficiently speakers and smaller amps. Now looking at all these class D amp high output ( hopefully they aren't as ridicules as some solid state ratings in the past) I may start looking for another set of speakers that need more wattage to run well.
It looks like this Netherland tech is more of what I like " clean sound is important to me."
Since we have moved to a new house ( downsizing ) my new listening room is a smaller room I use for office and now listening space, so actually I don't need larger amps
Anyway I'm glad I found this place to get me moving in the right direction for Hi Fi, Thanks
Hypex, Purifi, IcePower. Those are the brands that produces these OEM Class D modules.

The manufacturers that uses them that I am personally looking into are Nord Acoustic and Apollon because, they actually prioritize good looks, which is VERY important to me.

You may have some other manufacturers who sees me not recommending their products and will take exception and comment (one particular manufacturer is annoyingly vocal in doing so), don't mind them. I started a thread, which you can search for where I was attempting to start a list of all known Hypex, Purifi and IcePower class D manufacturers. But the thread got shut down because one of the manufacturers that I don't know about and did not list originally threw a pissy fit.

Focus SE

What I can say from personal experience (6mos of heavy usage) is that when it I put it through its paces there is never a point where heat is any issue. Yes the unit can get very warm to the touch but never close to where it’s too hot to touch. I have done absolutely zero measurements and quite honestly the only reason for doing them at this point is curiosity. I hope you find something suitable to get your ears back to where that belong, enjoying the music!!

anarchist

Stay away from class D amps, look at the professional reviews those amps cannot even pass standard square wave tests, show visible and substantial distortions. Class D amps outside of their use in subwoofers is another snake oil to squeeze money out of people which think they are "audiophiles".

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stay away from class D amps, look at the professional reviews those amps cannot even pass standard square wave tests, show visible and substantial distortions. Class D amps outside of their use in subwoofers is another snake oil to squeeze money out of people which think they are "audiophiles".
Listen to a 7 kHz sine wave and a 7 kHz square wave (with the amplitude of the sine wave scaled by 4/pi relative to the square wave) and see if you can tell them apart.

anarchist

Listen to a 7 kHz sine wave and a 7 kHz square wave (with the amplitude of the sine wave scaled by 4/pi relative to the square wave) and see if you can tell them apart.
It's not about telling them apart, it's about measurements, since this is the measurements forum, rt?

anarchist

Will have to say your attempt of trolling is rather pathetic.
have to say there was no trolling on my side, just pure reference to objective measurements, like those found on stereophile.com

Just FYI: someone's opinion not matching yours does not necessarily needs to be called "trolling", those which managed to mature from teenage years already understand that.

Top Bottom