• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

Endibol

Forum Donor
Here is a thread on dither started by JJ.

Paper by Lipshitz, Wannamaker and Vanderkooy for the mathematically inclined.
Thank you for these references.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I say it again,that's for cheap.
Cause if price is not of concern here's an example:

623halcro.side.jpg

View attachment 300277

View attachment 300278

Of course it's 40K$.

Edit:The amp above is Halcro Eclipse,sorry for not mention it,you can find the measurements here as @Galliardist rightfully posted later.

So, apart from a higher price to brag about, what does it offer over a Purifi 7040 or a NCoreX/Nilai?

Sokel

Master Contributor
So, apart from a higher price to brag about, what does it offer over a Purifi 7040 or a NCoreX/Nilai?
Not much,maybe the rated 1 Ohm,or the vice to stay under 100db THD+N (and lower) across all spectrum up to 40Khz.
Or also the vice to own such a nice engineered piece of gear (we are way past the audible-not audible,it's only the engineering part we're looking for here,like the low THD+N DACs )
I was looking at the construction and all I could think is the ability of their engineers to look ahead and combine,it's impressive.

DDgtt

Audio Company
Boy am I confused with your reply.

Of course the world is bigger than Topping. . .but the world today with these ultra clean amps are ONLY Benchmark the Dutch and Danish Class D manufacturers and Benchmark. So Topping ain't coming out with a class AB in high power any time soon, what does that mean? You are only left with what is on the market today which are Benchmark and the Dutch and Danish Class D.

Now, unless you know of other ultra clean, high power amps, please do share with us so we can look into them as alternative options.
Perhaps I'm a bit late to this discussion but let me offer up some thoughts on Class D. As suggested elsewhere in this thread, amplifiers are only as good as their execution. While Class D amps may seem more straight forward in their execution, there is obviously room for variability. Let me offer that the best I've heard comes from Mola Mola. The circuit designs were created by the engineer that created the UCD module as well as the N-Core modules. With Hypex as Mola Mola's parent company, their engineers have continued to refine the basic modules as well as the accompanying topology. The Kula integrated amp and the new Perca stereo amp sound absolutely fantastic, regardless of Class of operation. Used with the finest and most transparent high end speakers (like a Vivid Audio Giya model) they are simply glorious sounding, and completely at home in a very expensive system. I have this in my own system and it's so exciting!

Top Bottom