• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Class D amp NAD 3050 getting HOT

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes there's a top "vent" though it is more a design feature than anything else since there are no vents on the sides or on the bottom?
You can see a small grille below the heatsink.

OP
JungleXray

JungleXray

Firstly they are not at all efficient at idle to low powers. Measure the idle consumption with a killwatt and consider, all that is going up as heat.

The idle losses are significant and the internal temperatures often get well past the levels for long term reliability with much of this Class D stuff.

75 to 85 degrees C (185F) is not unusual at idle on the components I circled. They basically cook the nearby capacitors. Often the auxilliary SMPS transformer runs very hot.

View attachment 313986

Are you saying I should expect years of use from the NAD ... but not decades?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Some might not like this idea, but you can place 120mm fans on top of the unit to blow/suck air. I have done that in the past and 120mm sized fans running at low are barely audible even up close, yet cooled my amp by 10-15C on low. Dust can be a concern, but you just have to keep an eye on it.

These are similar to what I had, but cheaper: Fans

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What loudspeakers are you using with your new NAD, @JungleXray ?
Whats sort of music and what kind of volume levels?
Maybe this has been asked and answered, but I didn't notice via a quick swing through the thread so far.

I (not surprisingly) lean towards @restorer-john's suggestion, but I also wonder if it's not, perhaps, working harder than it was really intended to (i.e., into a relatively amplifier-hostile load... which describes so many loudspeakers, especially nowadays).

Wait!? You're using it with Cornies? Not a very difficult load stock... they're not "enhanced" in any way, are they? No weird aftermarket drivers or XO topology?
(I decided to leave my speculation at least visible, even though it should be erroneous, just in case there's more going on here than meets the eye!)

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Whoa, that thing looks awesome! I'd probably end up spending more on adding in uber-quiet Noctua.. but that's a good stock price. Might actually order that for my network switch since it looks "slicker" than just three random fans with rubber feet laying on top.

D

Deleted member 48726

Some might not like this idea, but you can place 120mm fans on top of the unit to blow/suck air. I have done that in the past and 120mm sized fans running at low are barely audible even up close, yet cooled my amp by 10-15C on low. Dust can be a concern, but you just have to keep an eye on it.

These are similar to what I had, but cheaper: Fans

I like your ingenuity and your way of taking care of your equipment. When that's being said, I despise the idea, that it should be necessary to do on a brands spanking new piece of electronics. And especially the price taken into consideration.

WILL

You can use usb fan to cool the amp.
There is a usb port in the back of it.

Top Bottom