• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting... they don't seem to be produced anymore?

The Sony MDR-V6s are still very much around, but any time you try to say something nice about them on a public forum some real smart guy thinks you’re an idiot for saying so and has no idea who they are talking to and has no sense of humor and you kind of have to bite your lip and take notes as to who has a really problematic personality. Or at least that’s been my experience. ;) Sony has tried to discontinue them a couple of times but the audio community screams bloody murder and they come back from the dead. They’ve been around since 1985 and run about $90, $80 on a good day. They get their own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6 . Here’s a review of their twin brothers, the Sony MDR-7506. https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-7506 . They are a classic headphone if ever there was one. The fit is a little tight when they are new—you can either let them loosen up over the decades (yes, they will last that long) or buy some nice soft Beyer DT-250 velour pads for them. They fit well for lying down in bed, which I really appreciate.

The Wirecutter lists the MDR-7506s as the best headphones for under $200, full stop.https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones/#best-wired-headphones-under-200

In the price range you are talking about, I have come to enjoy the Beyer DT990s the best, hands down. This was after being very disappointed with them initially. Somehow, there they are, in reach, and I just keep reaching for them. Maybe the sound is a little juiced toward being ”fun.” https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro. With the DT990s you’ve got a choice of three impedances—I think 32, 250 and 600 ohms. If you’re going to get a pair, think closely about which impedance best suits your purposes and use case best. It’s a luxury feature to be able to choose your impedance. If I were asked by a non-audio-enthusiast friend who just wanted some high quality kick-a$$ headphones to enjoy some tunes (or a symphony or jazz quartet) at home, in the $100-$250 price range, that’s what I’d recommend to them.

I am persuaded from what I have read that the AKG-371s and Senn HD599s may be excellent as well, with more of a reserved sound.

I see I just duplicated a prior post but in greater detail. Sorry about that. At least I’m consistent? :p

I paid less than $200 for the Sennheiser HD580s, many years ago, but I’m afraid that the closest modern equivalent is the Senn HD600s, which run bit more, at $300. If I could recommend that you get only THREE headphones it would be the Sony MDR-V6s (or MDR-7506s), the Senn HD580s (or HD 600s or maybe now the HD599s), and the Beyer DT-990s. All very different and all very enjoyable (for me) sounding phones and will serve you well for decades. All have had great staying power in the audio market and among the audio community and are built well. All have their cult followings and vociferous detractors. If I were like, a super-serious type of dude, I’d get the Senns.

If you want to try something cheap and fun and pretty good the $30 Superlux HD681s are eternal marvels of goodish sound in a comfortable but comically flimsy package. The bass goes nice and deep without being out of proportion, if you think you might like that—they are genuinely big-league impressive in that way.https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/superlux/hd-681

Last edited:

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Does anyone have any opinions on the Hifiman HE400i and HE400S - for some relatively cheap open-back headphones?
Best in their price range, I love ‘em. Check bass for a rattle and also for driver mismatch as soon as you get them - it took me a couple tries to get a good pair.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD58X vs HD599 (HD599 is 'warmer')

hd599-vs-hd58x.png

HD58X vs HD600 (= HD580 with different grille)

hd600-vs-hd58x1.png

modified HD58X vs HD600

hd600-vs-hd58x-modif.png

DT990 Pro 250 (bathtub shaped compared to the Sennheisers.

dt990-250-fr.png

StevenEleven

Forum Donor

——————————————-

Even after all these years, the HD580s / HD600s still kick butt!!!

“Sounds” about right to me. I suppose that‘s why I have a lot of use for both the DT990 and the HD580. The DT-990s are kind of like rubber-room HD580s / HD600s. But I do really like the DT990s. I do! I am extremely happy to have both. : ) And this is why a super-serious dude (maybe an @solderdude ? ) is likely going to prefer the HD580s / HD600s. :) Maybe it’d be best for OP to spend the extra $50 above $250 on the HD580s / HD600s—those were my next nice headphones after many years with the V6s.

I will say that the DT990 tonal balance seems to be well-suited to relatively lower volume listening though, maybe due to Fletcher-Munson curve decreased sensitivities to bass & treble at lower volumes?

Also, I’m not sure headphones are “solved” or can be—it’s an inherently distorted representation of what is supposed to be sound in open space. Interesting that rtings.com scores the DT990s and HD600s as equally accurate and the MDR-V6s as a small to moderate step behind!!! I don’t think it’s as set in stone as any one measurement or interpretation of the FR might suggest. Although relative to one another, yes, that’s how the HD580s and DT990s compare. But which is closer to “right” given what a headphone is asked to achieve? Not so clear-cut to me.

I‘m pretty much aware of the Harman curve , diffuse field curve, etc., and whatnot—I find the theory as to what is good sound a lot more solid for speakers as opposed to headphones.

On this site the https://www.dropbox.com/sh/654wxtmhlq0dhqa/AAAKT-RIbEKpsl-JW7mOnu_9a preference ratings apparently using Sean Olive’s formula go Senn HD600 (91) > Senn HD599 (86) > MDR-7506 (80) +/- Beyer DT990 (78-85) (depending on the version) >= HiFiMan He400i (78) !!! Interestingly the Beyer DT1990, Beyer DT1770, and Senn HD800s don’t score as well as their above-mentioned less expensive brethren under the Oratory preference ratings.

Bottom line: Between my HD580s, DT990s, and MDR-V6s, I still don’t need a new pair of headphones. At $300 HD600 might be worth the $50 stretch past $250 for OP. Depending on whose reviews you value most and personal taste.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I've never heard a Fostex. :p
Fostex is a step daughter of Foster which is same for Onkyo. Onkyo made Foster as commercial component's manufacturer (back in the days of Onkyo institute). Foster made Fostex to do commercial development and sell of finalised consumer products. However there are a lot of OEM's that use or used Foster components while Onkyo is obvious, Denon is also there, Creative Technology's, Edifier in some products & cetera.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

——————————————-

Even after all these years, the HD580s / HD600s kick butt!!!

“Sounds” about right to me. I suppose that‘s why I have a lot of use for both the DT990 and the HD580. The DT-990s are kind of like rubber-room HD600s. But I do really like the DT990s. I do! I am extremely happy to have both. : ) And this is why a super-serious dude (maybe an @solderdude ? ) is likely going to prefer the HD580s / HD600s. :) Maybe it’d be best for OP to spend the extra $50 on the HD580s / HD600s—those were my next nice headphones after many years with the V6s.

Actually my DT990 were my favorite headphones for many years. When one driver failed intermittently I started looking for another headphone and bought the HD650 which I later started to EQ. Much later when I started measuring it turned out I EQ'ed it correctly for the lows but dialed the treble a bit too high (not surprising when coming from DT990)

Also owned the 7506 a while (before I started measuring) but found the treble to be too grating and lacking in body. DT990 also has elevated treble but is 'smoother' there.
Now I got used to a more neutral treble (takes some getting used to)

Never use my (already fixed) DT990 anymore nor the many many other headphones I owned/tried.

HD800 (with EQ) surpasses all of what I currently own.
A modified and filtered DT1770 is my choice for closed back. Thinking of trying Stellia
Other options I sometimes grab is X2HR (filtered) and DT1990 (filtered).

Also have most Superlux models incl. a prototype which sounds really really good. They fucked up the actual product big time though.
All Superluxes need modding and have quality issues but are really cheap and high VFM.
Also have a prototype of another brand which also sounded really good but never launched (too bad really) and prototype HD58X which isn't as good as the current one and closer to the HD600 than the HD650 (current HD58X)

I grew out of the $100 to $250 range slowly over time (planned on not leaving it ever) but do not see myself entering the > $1k range (my HD800 was second hand) so are the DT1770 and DT1990

Karu

Forum Donor
Actually my DT990 were my favorite headphones for many years. When one driver failed intermittently I started looking for another headphone and bought the HD650 which I later started to EQ. Much later when I started measuring it turned out I EQ'ed it correctly for the lows but dialed the treble a bit too high (not surprising when coming from DT990)

Also owned the 7506 a while (before I started measuring) but found the treble to be too grating and lacking in body. DT990 also has elevated treble but is 'smoother' there.
Now I got used to a more neutral treble (takes some getting used to)

Never use my (already fixed) DT990 anymore nor the many many other headphones I owned/tried.

A modified and filtered DT1770 is my choice for closed back. Thinking of trying Stellia
Other options I sometimes grab is X2HR (filtered) and DT1990 (filtered).

Also have most Superlux models incl. a prototype which sounds really really good. They fucked up the actual product big time though.
All Superluxes need modding and have quality issues but are really cheap and high VFM.
Also have a prototype of another brand which also sounded really good but never launched (too bad really) and prototype HD58X which isn't as good as the current one and closer to the HD600 than the HD650 (current HD58X)

I grew out of the $100 to $250 range slowly over time (planned on not leaving it ever) but do not see myself entering the > $1k range (my HD800 was second hand) so are the DT1770 and DT1990

Not sure if you are familiar with the RME ADI-2, if you are, can you use the EQ functionality therein to adjust the curve for HD800 to what you use for example?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
What are you talking about.
Those (HS5) are not mediocre relative to their low price and small size, but definitely they are good value relative to the competition for their small size and low price. And the larger HS7 and HS8 are much better, especially for their low price (it's only £300 in the UK for a pair of the HS7) .

I'm talking specifically about the HS5 - take a look at where they rank among the speakers measured so far in terms of both preference rating and price to performance ratio. There are better speakers for less money. For example, compare their results to the JBL 305P MkII which can be had for cheaper.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not sure if you are familiar with the RME ADI-2, if you are, can you use the EQ functionality therein to adjust the curve for HD800 to what you use for example?

Don't own the ADI-2 nor do I use digital EQ. On my website you can see the EQ I apply (the difference between curves per frequency).

Shoaibexpert

Thanks. Appreciate if you can share your EQs for the HD650, HD800S and possibly the Arya (depending on whatever you've used). Would greatly help many here using these popular sets...

Shazb0t

I would buy a Senneheiser HD6XX or Jubilee HD58X and call it a day. My main headphone is a modded HE-6.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks. Appreciate if you can share your EQs for the HD650, HD800S and possibly the Arya (depending on whatever you've used). Would greatly help many here using these popular sets...

I don't use digital EQ so have no settings. For the HD650 and HD800 one can see what EQ has been applied and simply copy it in digital settings.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I'm talking specifically about the HS5 - take a look at where they rank among the speakers measured so far in terms of both preference rating and price to performance ratio. There are better speakers for less money. For example, compare their results to the JBL 305P MkII which can be had for cheaper.
And who made this list? It seems to be someone's opinion, but have you listened to the different monitors?

As for Yamaha HS5 - obviously from a sound perspective, you should go with the HS7 or HS8. That's a given. But people get the HS5 if they need a very small speaker, or are in a very small room.

Yamaha HS7 monitors are great, relative to their very low price point (£300 for a pair). I mean, for that low price, they are actually excellent.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

The Sony MDR-V6s are still very much around, but any time you try to say something nice about them on a public forum some real smart guy thinks you’re an idiot for saying so and has no idea who they are talking to and has no sense of humor and you kind of have to bite your lip and take notes as to who has a really problematic personality. Or at least that’s been my experience. ;) Sony has tried to discontinue them a couple of times but the audio community screams bloody murder and they come back from the dead. They’ve been around since 1985 and run about $90, $80 on a good day. They get their own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6 . Here’s a review of their twin brothers, the Sony MDR-7506. https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-7506 . They are a classic headphone if ever there was one. The fit is a little tight when they are new—you can either let them loosen up over the decades (yes, they will last that long) or buy some nice soft Beyer DT-250 velour pads for them. They fit well for lying down in bed, which I really appreciate.

The Wirecutter lists the MDR-7506s as the best headphones for under $200, full stop.https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones/#best-wired-headphones-under-200

In the price range you are talking about, I have come to enjoy the Beyer DT990s the best, hands down. This was after being very disappointed with them initially. Somehow, there they are, in reach, and I just keep reaching for them. Maybe the sound is a little juiced toward being ”fun.” https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro. With the DT990s you’ve got a choice of three impedances—I think 32, 250 and 600 ohms. If you’re going to get a pair, think closely about which impedance best suits your purposes and use case best. It’s a luxury feature to be able to choose your impedance. If I were asked by a non-audio-enthusiast friend who just wanted some high quality kick-a$$ headphones to enjoy some tunes (or a symphony or jazz quartet) at home, in the $100-$250 price range, that’s what I’d recommend to them.

I am persuaded from what I have read that the AKG-371s and Senn HD599s may be excellent as well, with more of a reserved sound.

I see I just duplicated a prior post but in greater detail. Sorry about that. At least I’m consistent? :p

I paid less than $200 for the Sennheiser HD580s, many years ago, but I’m afraid that the closest modern equivalent is the Senn HD600s, which run bit more, at $300. If I could recommend that you get only THREE headphones it would be the Sony MDR-V6s (or MDR-7506s), the Senn HD580s (or HD 600s or maybe now the HD599s), and the Beyer DT-990s. All very different and all very enjoyable (for me) sounding phones and will serve you well for decades. All have had great staying power in the audio market and among the audio community and are built well. All have their cult followings and vociferous detractors. If I were like, a super-serious type of dude, I’d get the Senns.

If you want to try something cheap and fun and pretty good the $30 Superlux HD681s are eternal marvels of goodish sound in a comfortable but comically flimsy package. The bass goes nice and deep without being out of proportion, if you think you might like that—they are genuinely big-league impressive in that way.https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/superlux/hd-681
Thanks. I can't seem to find that model online though. They seem to be selling the MDR-7506 only. I wonder if these are an identical product? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-7506-Professional-Headphone-Black

As for HD 600. I don't mind the price - but the impedance is likely too high for my uses (300 ohms). I use headphones with my digital piano, with my DAP, etc.

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

Best in their price range, I love ‘em. Check bass for a rattle and also for driver mismatch as soon as you get them - it took me a couple tries to get a good pair.
Thanks - how would you return them in that case though? I mean they are sold by places like Aliexpress to my country.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
And who made this list? It seems to be someone's opinion

The ratings are not anyone's opinion. They're calculated using a formula acoustic scientist Dr. Sean Olive devised, based on objective anechoic measurements and large double-blind listening studies of speakers, with a high correlation between the calculated and actual preference ratings of 0.86 (1 being perfect). See his full AES paper for details (scroll down for the correct paper): A Multiple Regression Model for Predicting Loudspeaker Preference Using Objective Measurements: Part II - Development of the Model. The ratings in the ranking list I linked to are calculated using Dr. Olive's formula and Audio Science Review's own measurements of the speakers, performed by Amir using the highly precise Klippel Near Field Scanner instrument.

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

The ratings are not anyone's opinion. They're calculated using a formula acoustic scientist Dr. Sean Olive devised, based on objective anechoic measurements and large double-blind listening studies of speakers, with a high correlation between the calculated and actual preference ratings of 0.86 (1 being perfect). See his full AES paper for details (scroll down for the correct paper): A Multiple Regression Model for Predicting Loudspeaker Preference Using Objective Measurements: Part II - Development of the Model. The ratings in the ranking list I linked to are calculated using Dr. Olive's formula and Audio Science Review's own measurements of the speakers, performed by Amir using the highly precise Klippel Near Field Scanner instrument.
So it's based on real experience on your part? Or on some reviews you read about the cheapest and smallest Yamaha monitors, which are specifically designed for small rooms. People buy them specifically if the room is too small to handle the still extremely cheap HS7 and HS8.

And what's the relevance of this speaker to the discussion about the MSP10 or NS-1000 which you were responding to?

Last edited:
Top Bottom