• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

ChickenChaser

Unfortunately not. Actually I'm thinking about creating a website with all the ratings (with optional rescaling to a max score of 100 for post-EQ), as well as other useful information for prospective buyers for each headphone. I've already started collating some of the info. Do you think this would be something people would want?

Definitely. Even if Harman isn't your preferred tuning, this helps you figure that out more efficiently too.

Asking a lot, but it would also be nice if we could get something ranking the specific direction in which different headphones deviate from Harman -- for example, there could be a scale moving brighter around 6khz that lists some Beyer, the HD800, etc. Then the Harman tuning could still work as a reference point for people to identify their preferences around. And if Harman really does represent the dominant average preference, identifying your preferences via where they deviate from it already makes a lot of sense anyway. And once you know you like headphones, say, brighter than Harman in a specific treble region, that can inform future decisions as well.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Definitely. Even if Harman isn't your preferred tuning, this helps you figure that out more efficiently too.

Asking a lot, but it would also be nice if we could get something ranking the specific direction in which different headphones deviate from Harman -- for example, there could be a scale moving brighter around 6khz that lists some Beyer, the HD800, etc. Then the Harman tuning could still work as a reference point for people to identify their preferences around. And if Harman really does represent the dominant average preference, identifying your preferences via where they deviate from it already makes a lot of sense anyway. And once you know you like headphones, say, brighter than Harman in a specific treble region, that can inform future decisions as well.

I'm pretty sure I could at least calculate the spectral tilt relative to the Harman curve (brighter/darker and by how much) for each headphone - I'll look into it.

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I was using a Sony NW-A45 DAP and at first it didn't quite power the HiFiMan HE-400I headphones sufficiently. But the reason was because of the EU volume limiter.

After hacking the Sony NW-A45 to remove the EU volume limiter. (Using this tool here: SonyNWDestTool < Main < Wiki )

It now seems to power the HE-400I headphones quite easily and to more than sufficient volume.

NhemeisZal0m0

270ish Hifiman Sundara, I guess is the best headphones, I have the HE4xx with power and eq it demolishes 10hz and are cinema/club speakers, open so you always think the soundstage is unbelivable and check your door because you think you heard somthing like. Hifiman is a paradigm shift, they realy outclass big tower systems.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
270ish Hifiman Sundara, I guess is the best headphones, I have the HE4xx with power and eq it demolishes 10hz and are cinema/club speakers, open so you always think the soundstage is unbelivable and check your door because you think you heard somthing like. Hifiman is a paradigm shift, they realy outclass big tower systems.
Senn HD 598

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
1MORE Triple Driver Over-Ear

-Build quality - (lot of metal, bit of hard plastic, synthetic leather)
-Comfort. - Surprisingly very light !!,
-Portability. - I am using them on the go with LG V30+ (usb player app)
-Sound Quality = clean, sharp, feels like surround (maybe thanks to double drivers). Bananas !!!! :D (Check reviews on You Tube)
-Price: Month ago I have seen them for 99£ !!!

Recently got HE4XX, and SMSL 500m. This pair sounds fantastic. But it's home use only.
Mainly I am listening to metal, rock, and classical music. This headphones doing a great job.
CONS: like for me visual design is to futuristic.
* This headphones need more juice than factory recommendation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...rtphones-Silver/dp/B0798TVDVJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
1 More. Typical small company. Not reliable. Same with Emotiva XPR. I learned hard way. I am sticking with Harman.

chlipong

And if Harman really does represent the dominant average preference, identifying your preferences via where they deviate from it already makes a lot of sense anyway. And once you know you like headphones, say, brighter than Harman in a specific treble region, that can inform future decisions as well.
I'm not sure about what you're looking for, but you can compare (some) headphones and change the baseline with crinacle's Graph Comparison Tool for headphones and Graph Comparison Tool for IEMs.

For exemple, comparing Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman Sundara and In-Ear Fidelity (IEF) neutral frequency responses :
01neutral.png

You can change the IEF neutral curve for Harman curve :
03.harman.png

And use it as the baseline to see deviations from it :
04harmanbaseline.png

You can also use a headphone's frequency response as the baseline, here is the Sundara deviations/differences to the HD650 used as the baseline :
05HD650baseline.png

Graphs 101: How to Read Headphone Measurements

Last edited:

adm

Sorry about your bad experience with Grado. I still think they are tops in this price range and even well beyond. I am sure if your headphones "broke" after a few months, Grado will honor its warranty and repair or even replace them. The last time I checked on this, they will repair any headphone for $40 regardless of age. In 2014, they repaired a pair of SR 225s for me that was over 10 years old. I have three pairs of SR 80s from various generations. Grado has not raised the $100 price on these in over 20 years. I also have two pairs of SR 225s, which retail for $200. My oldest pair of SR 80s is nearly 20 years old and worked perfectly until a couple of months ago, when it started to develop a small "scratchiness" problem. The only Grado headphone I would not recommend is the eGrado "street style" headphone, since it is made in China and I have had some reliability issues with these headphones. They are not really made to last, although they are not a bad value for 50 bucks. All other Grado headphones are made in the U.S.A. in Brooklyn, NY. As far as I know, everything else anywhere near this price range is made in China or somewhere in the far east. As for Grado headphones being "bright" or "forward," I believe this characteristic is exaggerated. If anything, it applied more to their earlier headphones than their current ones. Grado's philosophy is that headphones are fundamentally different from speakers and the sound should not appear to be coming from "inside your head." Their current offerings, even in this price range, are relatively neutral. I notice my original SR 80s to be somewhat brighter than the current SR 80e, which I bought a few months ago. The SR 80e is quite neutral. I hope the above will influence you to reconsider Grado as an option in the future.

Last edited:

LBec

Have you auditioned the AKG 167? Presence range hump, mid-bass hump, easy to power as it's about 35 ohms, not the most comfortable but not the least either, isolates well. It's a $200 headphone that B + H sells for $50. I saw your review of the Sennheiser HD 599, think you got it right. Like the Sennheisers for various reasons, particularly comfort. But prefer the sound of the AKGs.

Can't seem to find "AKG 167", is that the correct spelling?
My current limit is around $127 so most of the items in the list do not work for me, plus I am picky about comfort (even more than sound quality), I do not like a snug fit (i.e., pressure on the side of my head).

Vintage57

Forum Donor
If you can find them
Sony MDR V6
Sony MDR 7506

Robin L

Master Contributor
Can't seem to find "AKG 167", is that the correct spelling?
My current limit is around $127 so most of the items in the list do not work for me, plus I am picky about comfort (even more than sound quality), I do not like a snug fit (i.e., pressure on the side of my head).
Looks like B+H has run out of their stash, but you can still find them at other websites.
Vintage57's recommendation of the Sony MDR V6 and MDR 7506 [essentially the same 'phones, the 7506 is tweaked to have an upper mid-range boost] are also good value for money.
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K167-Headphones/dp/B009GOGO8I
https://www.soundvisionreview.com/headphones/akg-k167-tiesto-review/

LBec

If you highly value comfort of headphones, you may take a look at Audio Technica ATH AD-*00X series. Personally, I would say there aren't many cans in this price range can compare with ATH in term of comfort. I find it weird since it is hardly ever mentioned in discussion like this.

General view about SQ:
  1. Anemic bass.
  2. Work well for classical music, though I'm not sure about jazz.
  3. Insane sound stage with decent imaging.
  4. Mid-treb forward, with slight sibilance.
  5. Pretty articulate.
  6. Really easy to drive.

The ATH-AD500X is in my price range, any thoughts on that one, especially compared to the Grado SR80e which is also in my price range?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Both of these are bass-shy and treble happy. Grado is more 'forward' and 'lively' sounding.
There is a substantial difference in comfort.
The wing design is not appreciated by everyone. Some swear by it. Comfort with AT is much higher as it is an over-ear where Grado is an on-ear.
I don't prefer either.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Both of these are bass-shy and treble happy. Grado is more 'forward' and 'lively' sounding.
There is a substantial difference in comfort.
The wing design is not appreciated by everyone. Some swear by it. Comfort with AT is much higher as it is an over-ear where Grado is an on-ear.
I don't prefer either.
The Grado cans are just too uncomfortable for me. Pretty useless for remote recording.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Grado cans are just too uncomfortable for me. Pretty useless for remote recording.

I love Grados with the biggest bowl pads. The on ear and smaller rings dont work for me. But you wouldnt field record with a pair of PS1000 . People would think martians had arrived. Or have you committed.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I love Grados with the biggest bowl pads. The on ear and smaller rings dont work for me. But you wouldnt field record with a pair of PS1000 . People would think martians had arrived. Or have you committed.
Used Stax earspeakers a lot for remote recordings. Remember handing them to Jack Vad, him saying he couldn't work with them, just too much detail. He had some smooth and super comfortable Beyer open backed 'phones. As someone who monitored all day, most days, he regarded comfort as more important than absolute accuracy. When it's frequently 15 hours a day for several days you understand his logic.

Linus

The ATH-AD500X is in my price range, any thoughts on that one, especially compared to the Grado SR80e which is also in my price range?

Had the Grado, not really comfortable and my ears would hurt really quickly unless played at super low level.
Now own the AT, nothing bad to say. great sound + good comfort. Bonus, they come with 3 different cables; short straigh, long straight & long curly.

usersky

Forum Donor
I know this is not what initially was asked since my recommended headphones are significantly below $100. I have a wall of 12 headphones, all at least 3 times the price of this little treasure: Philips SHP9500. These are my favourites by far. I cannot recommed anything above these.

LBec

My highest priority is comfort, if I can't wear them for more than 15 minutes they are useless for listening to either rock or classical. Although the sound is probably not great I use a pair of cheap Philips SHN9500 because they are very comfortable (no pressure) closed back headphones with modest noise reduction. I prefer closed back because when the neighbors start up lawnmowers or construction the noise floor goes up considerably. As I said before my goal is around $100 although I could go up a little. from the list that solderdude (love that solder is in the name) put up previously plus a few extra:

HIFIMAN HE400i - $169, open back
HE4XX (2x) - $160 at Drop
DT 770 - the PRO is $149 closed
DT 880 - Edition $199, Pro $249
DT 990 - Edition ($199), Pro ($149) open
AKG K361 - $99 closed back
AKG K371 - $149 closed
AKG K7XX - out of stock at Drop
AKG K712 - Pro $499
Philips Fidelio X2 - HR $145(maybe), open
Maybe Fostex T50 rp - $160, semi open?
Audio Technica ATH MSR7 - discontinued
ATH AD-*00X - the ATH-AD500X is $78, open
HD580
HD58X (3x) - $170, open
HD598SR
HD600 - $349
HD650 (2x) - $370
HD6XX (3x) - $220 open
HD660S - $400
Sennheiser HD-1
OMTDOEH
from others
Sony MDR7506 - $99, closed
Superlux HD-681 - $33, open
AKG 167 (sold by Amazing Dealzzz on Amazon, never heard of Amazing Dealzzz)

Based on comfort I have ruled out the Grado SR80. Solder was not thrilled about the AD500X.
I do NOT have fancy equipment so a lot of $$ on headphones will not let me get much better quality sound.
The closed back sets that are possibly in my price range are: DT 770, AKG K361, AKG K371 (if the extra $50 gives a 50% boost in quality) and MDR7506.
If anyone has an opinion as to whether any of these are super comfortable and decent for rock and classical.

If I have to go to open back to get acceptable comfort and sound then within my cost constraints there are:
DT990 Pro, Philips Fidelio X2 (not sure I can get from reputable dealer), ATH-AD500X (probably still better sound than what I own and I could use the extra $ to buy a cheap DAC+headphone amp), and Superlux HD-681 (assuming people were actually serious about this being acceptable).
If absolutely necessary I might be able to stretch my budget to the HE400i or HE4XX.

Any thoughts, especially about comfort, would be appreciated.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My highest priority is comfort, if I can't wear them for more than 15 minutes they are useless for listening to either rock or classical. Although the sound is probably not great I use a pair of cheap Philips SHN9500 because they are very comfortable (no pressure) closed back headphones with modest noise reduction. I prefer closed back because when the neighbors start up lawnmowers or construction the noise floor goes up considerably. As I said before my goal is around $100 although I could go up a little. from the list that solderdude (love that solder is in the name) put up previously plus a few extra:

HIFIMAN HE400i - $169, open back
HE4XX (2x) - $160 at Drop
DT 770 - the PRO is $149 closed
DT 880 - Edition $199, Pro $249
DT 990 - Edition ($199), Pro ($149) open
AKG K361 - $99 closed back
AKG K371 - $149 closed
AKG K7XX - out of stock at Drop
AKG K712 - Pro $499
Philips Fidelio X2 - HR $145(maybe), open
Maybe Fostex T50 rp - $160, semi open?
Audio Technica ATH MSR7 - discontinued
ATH AD-*00X - the ATH-AD500X is $78, open
HD580
HD58X (3x) - $170, open
HD598SR
HD600 - $349
HD650 (2x) - $370
HD6XX (3x) - $220 open
HD660S - $400
Sennheiser HD-1
OMTDOEH
from others
Sony MDR7506 - $99, closed
Superlux HD-681 - $33, open
AKG 167 (sold by Amazing Dealzzz on Amazon, never heard of Amazing Dealzzz)

Based on comfort I have ruled out the Grado SR80. Solder was not thrilled about the AD500X.
I do NOT have fancy equipment so a lot of $$ on headphones will not let me get much better quality sound.
The closed back sets that are possibly in my price range are: DT 770, AKG K361, AKG K371 (if the extra $50 gives a 50% boost in quality) and MDR7506.
If anyone has an opinion as to whether any of these are super comfortable and decent for rock and classical.

If I have to go to open back to get acceptable comfort and sound then within my cost constraints there are:
DT990 Pro, Philips Fidelio X2 (not sure I can get from reputable dealer), ATH-AD500X (probably still better sound than what I own and I could use the extra $ to buy a cheap DAC+headphone amp), and Superlux HD-681 (assuming people were actually serious about this being acceptable).
If absolutely necessary I might be able to stretch my budget to the HE400i or HE4XX.

Any thoughts, especially about comfort, would be appreciated.
I've got the Sennheiser HD 579 and HD 599, same physical design as the 598, most comfortable headphones. However, sonically, you can do better. My understanding is that the 579 'phones are intended for TV, as such they're great.

My AKG K167 headphones are close backed, pretty comfortable, better sounding than the open backed Sennheisers.

Top Bottom