• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp would you buy?

aduarte66

Hello,

First post and first thread. My system is at the moment Streamer Eversolo DMP A6 ME, Pre-amp Classe Audio Four, Amp Classe audio Seventy and Loudspeakers Audiovector QR7. I do like my system, but since I changed to my new speakers, I tend to listen a bit louder and noticed that my amp (70 w/8 ohm) is starting to clip when I am listening around 80-85 db, so also because it is quite old, I am looking for a new amp. I was considering things like Accuphase E-380 and Hegel H390, but since reading ASR I became much interested in better measurements then added flavors.

Would you be so kind to point what amp would you choose?

Best regards,

AD

Willem

Major Contributor
Much depends on where you live. The Hypex and Purifi designs are modules that can be integrated by manufacturers, and most of those primarily supply in their own region. In Europe I would think of Boxem for the higher end of implementations or Audiophonics for value for money.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, and welcome
I think you may need some extra advice and discussion here.

As far as I am aware, those speakers are quite sensitive (90 dB SPL) so don't need much power to drive them. To give you 85dB at 3m (I don't know your listening distance) you only need something like 10-12W. In other words, your Amp really shouldn't be clipping or getting near it's full power.

This is beyond my own knowledge, but it does sound as if the issue lies before your Amp or even that your Amp has developed a fault (I'm not saying that, it's just an option). Other, more experienced members should be able to help.

I'd suggest that you don't just spend money on a new Amp before you understand what the real problem is, just in case

JeremyFife

Quick update: how far from your speakers do you normally sit, and what sort of budget are you thinking about?

Ze Frog

If you need power, as people have said a good class D. Plenty with actual reviews here that are way and beyond the expensive mainstream.

I'd be looking at Buck Eye, Nord Acoustics or Apollon. The Apollon amps have some very nice casework in the Lux model's, you'll likely save some money as well.

OP
A

aduarte66

Much depends on where you live. The Hypex and Purifi designs are modules that can be integrated by manufacturers, and most of those primarily supply in their own region. In Europe I would think of Boxem for the higher end of implementations or Audiophonics for value for money.
I was considering both manufacturers with Purifi but never heard any of them, I am living in Portugal, so they are both valid. Thank you.

OP
A

aduarte66

Hi, and welcome
I think you may need some extra advice and discussion here.

As far as I am aware, those speakers are quite sensitive (90 dB SPL) so don't need much power to drive them. To give you 85dB at 3m (I don't know your listening distance) you only need something like 10-12W. In other words, your Amp really shouldn't be clipping or getting near it's full power.

This is beyond my own knowledge, but it does sound as if the issue lies before your Amp or even that your Amp has developed a fault (I'm not saying that, it's just an option). Other, more experienced members should be able to help.

I'd suggest that you don't just spend money on a new Amp before you understand what the real problem is, just in case
hello,

Thanks for your reply. In fact I am sitting 4 meters away from my speakers, there are indeed 90,5 db sensitive at 6 ohms, but as measurements from stereophile they can go down to 83db on the low-end, so maybe because of that. Also the amp is about 30 years old.

My budget is about 6 to 7000 euros.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just look at the measurements of the various iterations here, you don’t need to spend that much, you won’t get better sound quality just a more expensively machined case.
Keith

Willem

Major Contributor
That is a far bigger budget than anyone needs for a superb amplifier. So if you still want to spend that budget I would suggest replacing the preampifier as well, with a modern DAC with volume control. I would also investigate DSP room equalization, since that will make a huge difference.

OP
A

aduarte66

If you need power, as people have said a good class D. Plenty with actual reviews here that are way and beyond the expensive mainstream.

I'd be looking at Buck Eye, Nord Acoustics or Apollon. The Apollon amps have some very nice casework in the Lux model's, you'll likely save some money as well.
Thanks, I ´ll have a look at those.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello,

First post and first thread. My system is at the moment Streamer Eversolo DMP A6 ME, Pre-amp Classe Audio Four, Amp Classe audio Seventy and Loudspeakers Audiovector QR7. I do like my system, but since I changed to my new speakers, I tend to listen a bit louder and noticed that my amp (70 w/8 ohm) is starting to clip when I am listening around 80-85 db, so also because it is quite old, I am looking for a new amp. I was considering things like Accuphase E-380 and Hegel H390, but since reading ASR I became much interested in better measurements then added flavors.

Would you be so kind to point what amp would you choose?

Best regards,

AD
Go for one of the much more powerful class D power amps measured here.
Absolutely a sensible , powerful class D amp. And support manufacturers in your country. Considering your budget and IF, for example, you live in Norway or the Nordic countries, the choice is therefore simple::)

OP
A

aduarte66

That is a far bigger budget than anyone needs for a superb amplifier. So if you still want to spend that budget I would suggest replacing the preampifier as well, with a modern DAC with volume control. I would also investigate DSP room equalization, since that will make a huge difference.
Not keen to spend it on the amp but that is the price of Hegel and Accuphase, now it will be a different story. I like to change only one thing at the time, to discover the weak link and probably as you mentioned the pre-amp will need to be replaced.DSP is not considered, I have my room acoustically treated (bass traps, difusor and absorbers).

OP
A

aduarte66

Absolutely a sensible , powerful class D amp. And support manufacturers in your country. Considering your budget and IF, for example, you live in Norway or the Nordic countries, the choice is therefore simple::)

Living in Portugal, bur still will have a look. Thanks.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
hello,

Thanks for your reply. In fact I am sitting 4 meters away from my speakers, there are indeed 90,5 db sensitive at 6 ohms, but as measurements from stereophile they can go down to 83db on the low-end, so maybe because of that. Also the amp is about 30 years old.

My budget is about 6 to 7000 euros.
Good vintage amps are pretty much on a par with current audiophile amps - but they may need a refresh every 30 or so years!

My 40+ year old Quad 606's are still doing fine - I did have them checked out and serviced about 15 years ago...

Willem

Major Contributor
Hegel and Accuphase are overpriced. Class D amplifiiers are also more energy efficient, and that saves you a bit on the direct electricity bill, but since you live in Portugal potentially also on the air conditioning cost.

JeremyFife

A couple of thoughts;

The Benchmark AHB2 is a well regarded, bulletproof, alternative that you might like. Alternatively the manufacturers recommended above are great too. You won't go wrong.

I'd still try to get an answer for why you are experiencing clipping. Even at a 4m listening distance you should only need around 20W to reach your preferred 85dB SPL. I wonder if the output voltage from your Eversolo is too high for your pre-amp. If that is the case, then any new power amp will also pass on that clipped signal.
Have you tried removing the pre-amplifier from your system and running the Eversolo directly into the power amplifier?

Top Bottom