• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your endgame speaker setup for critical listening?

JRS

Major Contributor
1680207418404.png

Sanders Model E

with this https://www.youtube.com22/watch?v=r161zrgV1HQ

napfkuchen

Probably a pair of these, flush mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen as part of an immersive music setup / home cinema in an acoustically treated room.

1234A_main_image.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
This has been asked before but something like this.. The floorstanders alone has a maximum soundpressure of 124dB

file.php

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If space and acoustic treatments were unlimited, it would probably be something like this.
lars-hallback.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could be happy a long time with JBL K2 S9900s:

s9900.png

Although Revel Salon2s sure sound nice, too.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor
True believers in MTM! ;)
Dunlavy style... :cool:

dunlavy-audio-sc-vi-speakers-monstrous-sound-at-91db-efficiency-436_a9173a85-9d73-42bc-8aa1-7ce65c7fa4b7_800x.jpg

Of course, Duntech design exactness became synonymous with several technologies and functional aspects that have become rigorous “Duntech Prime Directives”, a set of tenets company owner Kiat Low refers to as non-negotiable. The John Dunlavy doctrines demand first-order crossover networks fine-tuned to provide time and pulse coherence with support from stepped baffles and symmetrical driver arrays in physical acoustic centre alignment. Heavy-duty felt around the drivers’ periphery helps the accuracy of propagation by cancelling stepped baffle diffraction irregularities.

While in principle the physical features of such a cabinet’s design may seem easy enough to implement by skilled craftsmen, the temporal aspects of such an endeavour as it relates to the technical relationship with the crossover and, ultimately, with human hearing can be complex. That the Duntech Audio engineers are able to achieve the target mandate is not trivial.

Further, the design mandate dictates very flat amplitude and phase responses within the audible frequency range aided by sealed enclosures associated with transient accuracy and gentle roll-off across the low-end. By design, the first-order crossover’s inherent principles allow time and phase coherence in conjunction with pulse and transient accuracy at a listening position approximately 3m to 3.5m. All of these laws and design aspects carry through to Duntech Audio’s current designs including, finally, the subject at hand the new Senator loudspeakers.

JSmith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably a pair of these, flush mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen as part of an immersive music setup / home cinema in an acoustically treated room.

If space and acoustic treatments were unlimited, it would probably be something like this.
My cost no object dream speakers would be in the same vein. Ideally the room would be purpose built with an acoustically transparent wall to hide the massive and not terribly attractive speakers... and could come in handy for double blind tests as well.

I have heard the Meyer Sound Blue Horns a few times and they are truly stunning.

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 8.00.47 AM.png

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
I chose MTM for my DIYs. It has pros and cons. Clarity is a big pro, but can become a con if the recording is not good. Overall though, I'm happy with the design choice.
I had the privilege of auditioning the SC IV's at John's factory/engineering lab in Colo Springs. Interesting guy--speakers were definitely a sideline but labor of love. I ended up buying them.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Blue Horns are great when you don’t care about looks (and prioritize sound quality.). Besides Meyer Sound’s proven transducers and designs, it has a fancy DSP

In a living environment, I think I would go for MBL or vintage JBL Everest DD55000. Critical listening solo isn’t much fun. Focused music listening is more fun with friends, and the sweet spot widening capabilities of MBL omnipolars and JBL asymmetrical horns are genuinely a more satisfying experience than the ultra resolution of a single seat (imho).

Reactions: MAB

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd give my budget to Greg Timbers and wait for delivery.
Yes, JBL made quite a statement when they sidelined him. And just like the old saying goes, it's best to say nothing rather than be proven an idiot.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd give my budget to Greg Timbers and wait for delivery.
That's not a terrible idea! You would also need to find a fabricator and a prototyper... it would be a fun project though. I bet Greg could be talked into it. Even after all these years, he still gets excited by the challenge.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I am a rather simple person. Blade Metas or Salon 2s depending upon the room.

3125b

Major Contributor
Basing this on my current living space:
I'm really happy with my coaxials, so maybe a pair of Geithain RL 801K with a couple subs.
If I had a mansion this might be different, but that's a fairly complex scenario.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I'm happy with my DIY. But sometimes I do wonder what commercial offerings I could live with.

Top Bottom