• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale EVO 4.1 Review (Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 132 55.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%

• Total voters

Head_Unit

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
diamond 11.3
Those are probably quite good. In addition to my 11.4, I spent some time listening to the bookshelf 11.2 which is 2-way like the 11.3 model. Those also had a pleasant sound from any spot or angle. Power...I doubt they need an unusual amount of power. Sensitivity is above average:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-112-loudspeaker-measurements
There are not many amps with significantly more power in stereo than my AVR-2312Ci (it's only running two channel right now). You'd need an amp with like 300+ watts at FOUR ohms due to the logarithmic nature of hearing and the complex nature of loudspeaker impedance. We swapped out that -2312 for currently a ATI 525NC (300W @ 4 ohms) but it seems the -2312 had enough power even though the Focal 936/CC900/SR900 setup represent difficult loads.

Head_Unit

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
About that...do they need toe in?
At Audio Element the 11.2 were not toed in. For me that depends more perhaps on your listening space-we have Focal 936 toed in a lot not because they "need it" but because the right hand speaker is against a wall, so they are toed in extremely to reduce reflection.

XDM

With such a narrow directivity I would normally say "stay at tweeter axis" but in this case, I probed to see if any other response is better with respect to resonance and there is:
[minus 10 degrees]

Can anyone help me understand what is meant with the minus 10 degrees? Does that mean the listener sitting below tweeter height?

regan

With an EQ optimizing the LW, the score goes up to 6.2 (w/sub 8.1).
Wow these are some great numbers.
Surprised this speaker gets so much hate given that EQ improves the measurements by A LOT

Top Bottom