• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 220 Budget Speaker Review

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This speaker with the grill off measures in the bottom third of all speakers reviewed so far.

Your link refers to calculated results, not measurements. If my understanding is correct, ASR preference ratings are not measurements, but rather numbers derived from "computer modeling" of data that includes correlation with the results of scientific studies of loudspeaker preferences. The ASR "preferences" are based on methods patented by Sean Olive, one of the pillars of loudspeaker/listener scientific research.

"All models are wrong, but some are useful" is a common aphorism in statistics that is generally attributed to the statistician George Box, although the underlying concept predates Box's writings. I think that applies to these preference listings.

Therefore, I view the ASR preference ratings as useful, but not an absolute buying decision guide.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Interesting to see 1. the port design - appears the tube length and aperture are carefully chosen. Would love to hear comments from the speaker designers amongst us on what is going on here, especially since the bass response is not especially good, considering this speaker is over 12" high. And 2. The tweeter enclosure - appears to be more than a waveguide on the front?
View attachment 88049
1. This way (port on bottom) the speaker can be placed nearer to the rear wall and yet the front doesn't need space on the front to accommodate the port. It needs the pith to elevate the box to leave a gap for the bass to resonate from the port.
There is nothing fancy here. There are other manufacturers who use the bottom. I use the top and sides in my personal designs. (not as practical for a lot of buyers but for me is a great option.
2. looks like a regular ole waveguide to me. The current version has a different guide shape.

leeroy 85032

I am putting this response here even though maybe off topic as these prices may help buyers choose between this Whafedale and other inexpensive choices as of today.

Sony SSCS5 bookshelves were on sale yesterday for $73 a pair. They hit this price very often, I am sure that will happen again for the holidays keep an eye out.

Infinity R152 sets (2)are $135 (super great for $ for a pair of good speakers, plus free returns if needed)
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R152BK.html?ged=off
The matching center is also $135 and the tower version is $180 each.

ELAC Debut B6.2 B-stock $262
https://elac-america.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-b6-2-6-1-2-bookshelf-speaker-pair

JBL has the Studio 570 small towers for on $199 each (400 pair)

The JBL 305p doesn't need any amp and is $129 right now each ($260 pair for nice actives) including the white color. (they often hit $89-99 each around the holidays)
https://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/30...sLlRyfIbtkjiaGOlpyBS7ZeoRrwDxc8BoCerwQAvD_BwE

https://www.harmanaudio.com/studio-monitors/305PMKII.html?ged=off&mrkgadid=1&mrkgcl=989&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=1&mrkgcat=brand&utm_campaign=Pro|GSC|Brand_(No_Product)&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=pro_brand_pla_jbl_studiomonitors&product_id=305PMKII&utm_content=JBL|Studio_Monitors&acctid=21700000001715250&dskeywordid=92700052744385608&lid=92700052744385608&ds_s_kwgid=58700005780238500&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000008418427&dsproductgroupid=488349453960&product_id=305PMKII&merchid=107453784&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9019660&creative=288067584842&targetid=aud-349180005306:pla-488349453960&campaignid=955954686&adgroupid=58440024219&kxconfid=unnmhyek8&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO66PNeVJVQSm4glne7n1qjkMpFIrIOGut06FkJGbNvHEC0lbDNxzEyBoCVGUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Obviously there is a huge used market as well.
I hope you find a good speaker. You budget may be tight but there are great options. I f you already have an amp I'd pick the R152's and then add a sub later.
i already have my speakers i like (jbl 530 & emotiva b1 *modded*).. and yes i got them within my current budget, but i was just making a point(off topic) about the injustice of socio/ economic division.. it's likely to draw smart a** responses and yet i likely will continue with the practice , hoping to make a point with those that actually value people over wealth,,,

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
i already have my speakers i like (jbl 530 & emotiva b1 *modded*).. and yes i got them within my current budget, but i was just making a point(off topic) about the injustice of socio/ economic division.. it's likely to draw smart a** responses and yet i likely will continue with the practice , hoping to make a point with those that actually value people over wealth,,,
Hi,
just to clarify. Did you take my response as smart *ss? Because I just spend 20-25 minutes trying to help you( and any passer by on a budget find a speaker.
My attempt was sincere.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to see 1. the port design - appears the tube length and aperture are carefully chosen. Would love to hear comments from the speaker designers amongst us on what is going on here, especially since the bass response is not especially good, considering this speaker is over 12" high. And 2. The tweeter enclosure - appears to be more than a waveguide on the front?
View attachment 88049
The bass response looks well chosen for how these will be used, near a wall most of the time, and the realistic limits on a 5" driver. They seem to roll off more like a sealed box than a ported one, but probably have a bit more efficiency, this seems like a good idea in the real world.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Your link refers to calculated results, not measurements. If my understanding is correct, ASR preference ratings are not measurements, but rather numbers derived from "computer modeling" of data that includes correlation with the results of scientific studies of loudspeaker preferences. The ASR "preferences" are based on methods patented by Sean Olive, one of the pillars of loudspeaker/listener scientific research.

"All models are wrong, but some are useful" is a common aphorism in statistics that is generally attributed to the statistician George Box, although the underlying concept predates Box's writings. I think that applies to these preference listings.

Therefore, I view the ASR preference ratings as useful, but not an absolute buying decision guide.
Exactly, I agree with everything you wrote. But if a speaker is calculated to be in the bottom third by a preference formula on the one hand and receives a top honor on the other, the delta calls into question the usefulness of the preference formula.

MadMan

This speaker with the grill off measures in the bottom third of all speakers reviewed so far.

I pretty much ignore the 'preference scores' and look at the test data. I believe they are 'consumer' preference as well, and they don't necessarily align with 'audiophile' or trained listener preferences, let alone personal preference. (For example, I really like the KEF LS50 but it doesn't score well. I'm also not stupid enough to expect a 5" mid-woofer speaker to produce great bass.) It does take some understanding of what the test data means, but it can help to understand what kinds of things a speaker is good or bad at a lot better.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Will actively crossing to subwoofers reduce the port noise?
Yes but this will depend on the frequency you cross at and what frequency(s/range) is causing that noise.
Very likely it will fix/ greatly help.
You could also remove the bottom, plug the port, reattach the base and go sealed. (Likely needing to cross around 100hrz in this case)

leeroy 85032

Hi,
just to clarify. Did you take my response as smart *ss? Because I just spend 20-25 minutes trying to help you( and any passer by on a budget find a speaker.
My attempt was sincere.
short answer: .. no.. you probably helped somebody that is searching .. that in itself is of value.. btw , i in no way was referring to you , i enjoy your posts in general...i just enjoy railing about social justice in places that it really is never valued in a real way ...

PuX

this is a surprise, not only because of the big impact of the grilles, but also because this brand is firmly in the budget (or not high-end?) category, at least that's how people generally see it.

I wonder why most brands don't bother to add some guards to their tweeters/speakers in general. Soft grille won't save it anyway, they should be adding some metal grilles like on most Genelec models (I suspect metal grilles don't influence the sound as much) or at least guards like on Dynaudio Confidence C1 on this image: (or three-point guards on their pro models)
f2d7426ca9fe65c09b3f4585274cbbf6.jpg

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
short answer: .. no.. you probably helped somebody that is searching .. that in itself is of value.. btw , i in no way was referring to you , i enjoy your posts in general...i just enjoy railing about social justice in places that it really is never valued in a real way ...
Okay no problem.
Yes I agree that social justic always has a place even if just a peep here and there from time to time.
To many folks are comfortable with all sorts of injustices and inequalities.
I am a big fan of developing a basic income and correcting earnings imbalances, in the meantime may you be finding a way to live well.
I am glad you have a nice set in the JBL 530 - one of my favorite commercial speakers ever.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like it might be time to recalibrate our rating systems.

This speaker with the grill off measures in the bottom third of all speakers reviewed so far. For under $200, it is beaten by the Micca RB42, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and Sony SS-CS5. Two out of three of those speakers had headless panthers in their respective reviews. Color me confused either by the rating systems or by the positive responses about this speaker's performance so far.
There is a lot more that goes into my subjective evaluations than what is used in the score. Let's remember that it is fully possible and often occurs that two speakers with different responses get the same score. This is the perils of single number scores. In addition, I test for such things as how clean the response is as I turn up the volume. Many budget speakers fall apart with severe distortion in bass. This is not tested in the research and scoring. Another factor is how easy it is to fix things with EQ in the speaker. Sometimes no matter what I do, I can't get better sound using EQ.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This way (port on bottom) the speaker can be placed nearer to the rear wall and yet the front doesn't need space on the front to accommodate the port.

Interesting that Wharfedale's bottom-ported Diamond 220 bookshelf and the D330 floor-stander include attached plinths, but the D310 and D320 (pic below) have short feet, but no plinth. (If Amir ever gets a D310 or D320 to measure, I assume that he will set it on a plinth in the Klippel system to match the real world application.)

Since bookshelf speakers usually sit on hard surfaces, no plinth makes sense, but obviously, floor-standers are most often placed on carpeted floors, often over a thick foam or fiber padding, a plinth is necessary. My D320s currently sit on the outboard edges of a cheap particle-board media stand, but will be moved to separate custom speaker stands when I get my new, narrower hardwood media stand.

Wharfedale D320 Bottom Port.jpg

Last edited:

Razorhelm

Yes but this will depend on the frequency you cross at and what frequency(s/range) is causing that noise.
Very likely it will fix/ greatly help.
You could also remove the bottom, plug the port, reattach the base and go sealed. (Likely needing to cross around 100hrz in this case)
I am considering plugging the port, I have done it for most of my speakers, any suggestions on what to use to plug it?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
There is a lot more that goes into my subjective evaluations than what is used in the score. Let's remember that it is fully possible and often occurs that two speakers with different responses get the same score. This is the perils of single number scores. In addition, I test for such things as how clean the response is as I turn up the volume. Many budget speakers fall apart with severe distortion in bass. This is not tested in the research and scoring. Another factor is how easy it is to fix things with EQ in the speaker. Sometimes no matter what I do, I can't get better sound using EQ.
Definitely. Your subjective opinions are valuable -- you are a trained and experienced listener, you have heard all of these speakers in person, and you own a high quality system to compare against, too. I understand that the "panther ratings" are intended to be tongue in cheek and most often used to express a holistic view of a product, taking everything into account.

I just wish the preference score formula could be adjusted to include factors like the one you mention (e.g. distortion rising with volume) in order to close the delta between subjective impressions and objective data.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another factor is how easy it is to fix things with EQ in the speaker. Sometimes no matter what I do, I can't get better sound using EQ.
Have you tried using the calculated EQ that people can build from your measurements for such a speaker? Some of those EQ settings seem to produce amazing looking improvements.

Zaki Ghul

Is there a way to assign some type of scale(s) to the conclusions of speaker tests? Or even a panther chart with a $-$$$$ indicator (since actual prices vary) so one knows what reviews to revisit when deciding on a speaker purchase? If I had missed this review and then went to the preference chart when buying speakers I would not have given the wharfedales a second look.

Top Bottom