• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 220 Budget Speaker Review

Willem

Major Contributor
You did not mention the size of the room but it may be quite small given your choice for these small speakers in a high quality system. My minimum recommendation in a very good system such as yours would be two small quality subs such as the SVS SB1000 supplemented by some room eq. Since you have the Pro version of the RME DAC you can probably set a high pass filter on the balanced output to the power amp. Use the remaining filters on that output to equalize the range above the high pass filter and up to perhaps 250 Hz. You can then use the separate filters on the unbalanced output to equalize the subs.
If the room is larger and offers more space for subs I would add a third, perhaps larger one. In that situation MSO also becomes more relevant.

goldark

Forum Donor
Music Direct has the Diamond 240 towers for $600 a pair which seems like a steal with free shipping. Anyone have any experience with those? I'm assuming they measure similarly to the 220 but with more bass extension, but can't confirm until I see measurements obviously.

elole

Is this powerful enough for 5m distance from listener? I want to use this for TV

beagleman

Major Contributor
Can anyone explain where these speakers and the Diamond 225 slot into Wharfedales line up, as far as price and time wise?

Were they made for a few years, and so on??

I get they go from 9.1 to 10.1 and 11.1 and 12.1 and so on and the .2 and .3 are larger models, but find no explaining of this "200" series.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Can anyone explain where these speakers and the Diamond 225 slot into Wharfedales line up, as far as price and time wise?

Were they made for a few years, and so on??

I get they go from 9.1 to 10.1 and 11.1 and 12.1 and so on and the .2 and .3 are larger models, but find no explaining of this "200" series.
The 100 and 200 and 300 three-digit series have a bottom port... thingy...

The 10 and 11 and 12 etc are more conventional

Wharfedale made them separate series.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems the 100 and 200 models where between the 10 and 11 series, my guess is they tried a different naming pattern but weren't really sucessfull with it so returned after to the 11, 12, etc series numbering.

Nice to see also some (not shabby at all) measurements of the first generation model here:
https://www.hifinews.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-speaker-lab-report

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought a pair of Diamond 210s for desktop PC use in 2014 not knowing anything about Hi-Fi. I bought them with a crappy T-amp that had a high noise floor so it didn't really sounded better than my previous Klipsch Promedia 2.1 multimedia speakers.

I upgraded to LSR305s anyway later in the same year so I left the 210s in storage for ~10 years, until I took them out and paired them with SMSL D-6S and Topping PA5 II. I was surprised by how well they now sound in my untreated concrete living room, and I'm pretty surprised these small 4" woofers extends down to 53Hz at 60-70dB SPL.

Top Bottom