• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiss DAC205 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 116 48.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 102 42.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

Kevinfc

I look at DAC’s as computers, what was stunning a decade ago is hardly usable today. However, we have now reached the point where all necessary performance benchmarks for what the human ear can perceive have been met. So to my view, the entire evaluation is about cost and features.

When older pieces are evaluated, the only interesting aspect to me is how much they originally sold for and what the performance was. For $100, nearly every DAC of a decade ago is surpassed today.

Last edited:

Short38

Not sure I see the point of reviewing any discontinued products unless: 1. There is extensive NOS available, or 2. There is an analysis of old state of the art to current offerings as for example the Apt Holman pre to current preamplifiers.

DonR

Major Contributor
Not sure I see the point of reviewing any discontinued products unless: 1. There is extensive NOS available, or 2. There is an analysis of old state of the art to current offerings as for example the Apt Holman pre to current preamplifiers.
Some debate about wether it is still being sold or not.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i disagree with that - i quite like to see reviews of old classic cars... the definition of a 'classic car' could be a 1990 fox body Mustang GT

its often nice to see what was going on at that point in time

fun and learning no?

mikethep

I bought one in June from Vintage King for $1350 (new). Serial number 000...018. I got a call asking if they could help me with anything. I said they could help me with the Weiss DAC205, having read that it is (Weiss themselves say so) equivalent (but maybe that's no big deal), purely DAC-wise (-Weiss? hahahaha) to the 204 and the 501 and having read the glowing praise for those other Weiss DACs. I had been using a Chord Qutest (due partly to measurements here and at Stereophile) with a Denafrips Iris. So I didn't need USB input. The Qutest outputs at most 3v. It doesn't have XLR out. I was/am also using a Benchmark HPA4 and AHB2. I am now using the DAC205 at maximum output (allegedly 7.5v) via XLR into the HPA4 and then into the AHB2 with the AHB2 set to miniimum gain. It sounds better than the Qutest. Yes, it does!!! You have to believe me!!!! I realize that maybe a Topping or SMSL or RME would also sound better. Too late now. What's done is done, etc. The Qutest is now in my bedroom. USB in from an old iphone that no longer can receive phone calls but seems to stream Qobuz successfully. On from there to an old NAD preamp, to an old NHT Power 2 amp (ancient ICEpower) to a pair of old Magnepan 1.6, placed without much care or concern beyond toeing them in a bit. I miss the glowing orbs and window when I'm downstairs, but not the sound.

Last edited:
Ok, so what's going on with the multi tone test? The distortion products in that test should be in line with the other tests but obviously something else is happening.

Could this be intra-sample clipping? Other theories?
I question if it’s faulty or something else is going on.

I’ve seen cases where DACs clipped, or at least the last dB gave rise to high levels of distortion (past Schiit models).

This situation appears different, in that it was only the IMD that got out of hand, although that jitter performance was also dismal.

Ok, so what's going on with the multi tone test? The distortion products in that test should be in line with the other tests but obviously something else is happening.

Could this be intra-sample clipping? Other theories?
I question if it’s faulty or something else is going on.

I’ve seen cases where DACs clipped, or at least the last dB gave rise to high levels of distortion (past Schiit models).

This situation appears different, in that it was only the IMD that got out of hand, although that jitter performance was also dismal.

I think this is the reason, although it would be necessary to do further testing at lower levels for confirmation.

Last edited:

daverosenthal

Forum Donor
I think this is the reason, although it would be necessary to do further testing at lower levels for confirmation.
Nice. Interesting similarities. Yeah, if going down 0.5dB helps that much it would strongly point to internal digital clipping (very possibly the intra-sample clipping that I suspected, but perhaps something else.)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
For this kind of money you might as well get the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
The DL200 is 150€. Less expansive. And the M300SE is 110€, far better measurements than the Weiss, with a volume control, a screen, a remote, two headphone outputs, a filter selection, I mean a ton of functions compared to the Weiss and better measurements. For 110€.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were Swiss and wanted to give my fellow Swissmen some business, this thing would be a reasonable way to do so; it should be audibly perfect.

As a non-Swiss, I will pass.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Once again a supposedly high-end product with corresponding price tag where one wonders if it is somehow broken. Seems to be a pattern.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
There are brand new units available to purchase online;

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI, I just shipped this back to its owner so please don't ask for more tests. :) My job is to review products, not figure out why they have the problems they do.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another icon beats the dust. Puzzling how the multi-tone test shows horrible results. It would be nice to test how a current production DAC from Weiss measures. I agree: with the current offer of high quality/low price DACs, it is not competitive to spend North of $1,000 for any DAC. Thank you Amir for another very useful review. Of note, my Weiss MAN-301 has been working almost flawlessly for about six years, it has been serviced for free by Mr. Weiss when a new DVD/CD reader was necessary, and so far it has helped me store more that 82,000 FLAC music files: the iPod interface is very well designed and offers superb archival qualities. The DAC I use is the Stereo DAC8 by Okto Research, because it is the DACless MAN-301.

Top Bottom