• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiss DAC205 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 116 48.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 102 42.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

Gio

Forum Donor
This review doesn't prove that. Thousands of people spend inordinate amounts of money on audio stuff, and seem to be perfectly happy doing that :oops:
You are right: not only this review but this entire site prove that there is no connection between money and fidelity.

Haskil

Forum Donor
It could also happen that Amir measures devices that are not in order. If he only measures a single device, you could call it a random sample, strictly speaking.
In this case, the manufacturer or another tester who found different results when measuring another sample will come forward.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
appears to be recently discontinued
So that does not seem accurate. It has a product page:

And does not show up on the discontinued products pages:

Kevinfc

It’s been discontinued, but I suppose the question is, when was it initially released? Those specs might have been SOTA ten years ago.

DonR

Major Contributor
It’s been discontinued, but I suppose the question is, when was it initially released? Those specs might have been SOTA ten years ago.
Except in the area of IMD. However, that multitone test must be an isolated issue I would hope.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
$2600 why not round it to $3000?
Sick making amount of money for a basic enclosure with ok performance.

‘Ze zijn niet goed wijs daar bij Weiss‘

dasdoing

Major Contributor
when was it initially released?

not a proof, but it seams to be from 2015

1702486197834.png

1702486210248.png

1702486222095.png

DonR

Major Contributor
205 is a stripped down version of the 204

weiss-dac204.3.jpg

19763-3_full.jpg

and the USB1 of the 204 also matches 2015. these came right after the Firewrire devices
Definitely has that "hand-made, low production numbers" feel to it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
£9,695 actually seems more reasonable than the price of the DAC502, if it truly is pro-level.
What has ‘pro level’ got to do with it a ‘pro level’ dac won’t be any better in terms of measurement, it may offer features/connections which are more suitable for the pro environment .
Dacs are still being sold under the old ‘the more you pay the better it is’ paradigm.
Keith

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What has ‘pro level’ got to do with it a ‘pro level’ dac won’t be any better in terms of measurement, it may offer features/connections which are more suitable for the pro environment .
Dacs are still being sold under the old ‘the more you pay the better it is’ paradigm.
Keith
Perhaps I'm too idealistic but I'd expect pro studio gear to have SOTA performance as a given, plus "pro" features and reliability.

NHL99

'This DAC has a clarity and crispness that I have never heard in this price range. I mean, I haven’t heard anything of this quality for under $7k.'

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely has that "hand-made, low production numbers" feel to it.
Production numbers are pretty high for Weiss gear. The pro stuff is widely used and the consumer units are big sellers in Asia.

DonR

Major Contributor
Production numbers are pretty high for Weiss gear. The pro stuff is widely used and the consumer units are big sellers in Asia.
The appearance belies that but maybe that is the look they are going for. Certainly looks like a lot of jerry-rigged and one-off production line or lab test equipment.

Top Bottom