• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Timex Ironman T300 watch that I paid $84.99 + tax for as new at London Drugs in Canada. I've owned it and worn it everyday for ~5 months and the silicon band is already tearing at a corner of the construction. I'm retired, have a easy life and the watch is not abused or worked at work. I contacted the retailer and I was advised that they do not provide warranty service or replacements and that the watch strap is not covered under warranty. I attempted contacting Timex and they do not have weekend customer service. So I 'll wait till Monday morning.
zzzzzzzzzzzzz TW5M47500.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now! I need a new watch that is not going to fray the edges of my shirt sleeves and expensive winter jackets/coats. Silicon is nice as is a heavy duty nylon sort of weave would be good too. I like date and time and seconds too. All other features are near useless other than the rare occasion I might set the alarm for a morning wake up call. Any suggestions for a new watch that is $200 and less approximately?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Timex Ironman T300 watch that I paid $84.99 + tax for as new at London Drugs in Canada. I've owned it and worn it everyday for ~5 months and the silicon band is already tearing at a corner of the construction. I'm retired, have a easy life and the watch is not abused or worked at work. I contacted the retailer and I was advised that they do not provide warranty service or replacements and that the watch strap is not covered under warranty. I attempted contacting Timex and they do not have weekend customer service. So I 'll wait till Monday morning.
I thought that our age-group were being advised by NIH to not rely on digital timepieces!:oops:

ADD: Get a solar one, which should never need a replacement battery!
ADD2: Find a used (auto-wind) timepiece in some garage sale!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that our age-group were being advised by NIH to not rely on digital timepieces!:oops:

ADD: Get a solar one, which should never need a replacement battery!
LoL.. You gotta be kidding gg* About the NIH advising digital watches are undesirable. :D hehe. Yes, Casio big fat heavy duty watches have solar but the dang digital time and such readout is tiny.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LoL.. You gotta be kidding
Indeed... but ask yourself one question and you will know why digital timepiece is NFG:
Do [@Doodski] really want to know what time it is to the digital second?
If time is ticking, you should be happy... who gives a d*mn if you are off by 10 minutes... you can always blame it on a senior moment!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed... but ask yourself one question and you will know why digital timepiece is NFG:
Do [@Doodski] really want to know what time it is to the digital second?
If time is ticking, you should be happy... who gives a d*mn if you are off by 10 minutes... you can always blame it on a senior moment!
I have daily schedules that must be followed give or take 2 or 3 hours either way. I always leave extra time to smell the roses along the way and to watch life as I go about my schedule. So a watch is not crucial that way. When it is important is when I'm downtown on an agenda and need to catch a bus. I have bus route maps and route intervals memorized for several+ routes and a time piece is of primary importance. :D

bogart

Forum Donor
I have daily schedules that must be followed give or take 2 or 3 hours either way. I always leave extra time to smell the roses along the way and to watch life as I go about my schedule. So a watch is not crucial that way. When it is important is when I'm downtown on an agenda and need to catch a bus. I have bus route maps and route intervals memorized for several+ routes and a time piece is of primary importance. :D
A swatch would be perfect to spare your sleeves and keep the time in style. I’m always happy to put mine on!

MarkS

Major Contributor
Now! I need a new watch that is not going to fray the edges of my shirt sleeves and expensive winter jackets/coats. Silicon is nice as is a heavy duty nylon sort of weave would be good too. I like date and time and seconds too. All other features are near useless other than the rare occasion I might set the alarm for a morning wake up call. Any suggestions for a new watch that is $200 and less approximately?
I highly recommend Citizen Eco-Drive (solar powered) watches, here are some of their sportier models at amazon:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_0406-dsqz.JPG
Sometimes I go old-school. This Girard Perregaux ref. 9380 Gyromatic was made in 1977 or so. Caliber 461, based on the FHF905.

The bracelet is new, and a probably failed experiment. It’s the right shape, but I’ve gotten too accustomed to well-fitted end links.

GP made 500 of these in steel, which was not a limited edition in those days. The blue of the vertically brushed dial is among the best I’ve ever seen.

Rick “arm was hairy in 1977, too” Denney

HedgeHog

Obviously, NOT the kind you order at a Greek restaurant!;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 284032
As if Panerai didn't already have a bad rap, without his endorsement!:mad:
Dammit, I like Pannies. I know there's a Paneristi that is bad/cringe/evil but why else do they have a bad rap? Back when they were popular (slightly after Slytech and before that dood), they had the reputation that it was "watch that someone gets when they finally make 6 figures". I still pine for the fitty, destro, rad, and a California. But that's just me.

MarkS

Major Contributor
It's deja vu all over again for Pam, they pulled the same cheap-movement scam over a decade ago:

The Richemont conglomerate that owns Pam also owns a bunch of other brands:

Caveat emptor.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own about 60 watches, but I try hard not to be too tight-a$$ed about them. Every manufacturer these days is a corporate conglomerate, and everyone of them has violated some watch-idiot-savant sacred trust at some point or another, usually by some clueless Harvard Business School type who thought nobody would notice. The last watch company represented in my collection to have been founding-family-owned was Ebel, which was so until 1994. They are all corporate now. I swear I see so many reasons to boycott this or that brand I wonder sometimes if watch enthusiasts actually like watches.

As for me, I'd love to own a Luminor GMT, despite that one of the seven bazillion models put out by Panerai in the past had a poorly finished movement. I don't because they are loved by a lot more people than watch enthusiasts, apparently, and thus they are expensive even on the secondary market. I'm attracted to unique buying opportunities.

And I happily own several Heuer watches, despite that Heuer once overstated its role in designing a (good!) movement design they bought from Seiko, modified, and then started producing themselves. (Really?) Yet there are watch nuts who believe that the managers of Heuer past and present (to include the "sellout" Jack Heuer) should be lined up and...whatever.

My own special collection brand is Ebel, which is owned by (horrors!) Movado, which is (even more horrible!) American, and despite (ultimate horrors of them all!) that they are sold to regular people in shopping malls. (For the record, I've seen lots of Movado watches in malls, but the only mall I have ever seen with an Ebel in it was in a store that also carried the likes of Rolex, Lange, Vacheron-Constantin, etc.; I bought my Zenith El Primero in a mall, and also my Cartier Santos, and also my Heuer Monaco for that matter.) (I'm not counting Movado's own retail stores where they sell overstocks. Like I said, I like unique buying opportunities.)

Watch collectors love to be snobby.

Speaking of Ebel, here is an Ebel FastBeat from about 1970, with an ETA 2738, which was a high-grade automatic that came only as a 36,000 bph movement, and most of which were COSC-certified chronometers, as this one is. Like I said, sometimes I go old-school. There's a little patina on the dial, but then it's 53 years old, and closeup photos like these reveal age far more severely than in real life. If my surmise is correct, Ebel made fewer than a thousand of these. The reference is stamped on the caseback: 9436927, which means the caliber code is 436. That happens to be the first three digits of all the six-digit movement serial numbers for these that I've seen, so there had to have been fewer than a thousand of them.

Fastbeat-front-dsqz.JPG

Rick "needs a better strap" Denney

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing very flash here, bought this 25 years ago:

There's a Breitling in a local jeweller's window which I quite fancy but it's just too much to spend on a watch. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own about 60 watches, but I try hard not to be too tight-a$$ed about them.
You are a true hoarder, nonpareil!:p
A must-ask question:
Do you share parts of your loot with others?

I am one of those "tight-a$$ed" types you refer to... but... I share parts of my meager collection, on "permanent loan basis", with relatives/cohorts/friends.
It is NOT the equivalent of sharing the (lack of my) wealth, but sharing my nostalgia about mechanical things.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are a true hoarder, nonpareil!:p
A must-ask question:
Do you share parts of your loot with others?

I am one of those "tight-a$$ed" types you refer to... but... I share parts of my meager collection, on "permanent loan basis", with relatives/cohorts/friends.
It is NOT the equivalent of sharing the (lack of my) wealth, but sharing my nostalgia about mechanical things.
My wife is similarly afflicted, but she has different tastes than I do. She prefers the jewels to be on the outside, for example.

I have bought watches with the intention of giving them away, but so far all those I hoped to infect have proved to be immune. Of course, none of my watches are "important," but I do hope they don't end up in the dumpster. I have designated people to be the executors of several of my collections (doesn't that sound impressive?) just to make sure my survivors appropriately benefit. But the problem is that all my friends so designated are at least as old as I am.

Rick "who'd probably rather give a watch as a gift than loan one out" Denney

Top Bottom