• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

KSTR

Major Contributor
An odd dare (and even more odd observation) after 39 pages of posts:
I dare anyone to find another female watch in all these pages.:eek:
View attachment 270165
[Do I win anything for being first to post?:confused:]
I have rather skinny wrists and usually wear watches that are advertised as women's watch for obscure reasons.
A simple and elegant Bering model, a no fills, it-just-works type of watch.
1678987521653.png

I'm using it with a brown leather strap, though, which really brings out the shiny green color and is more comfortable than the original metal strap.
Also, it misses a seconds hand and therefore it is absolutely silent which is important to me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, it misses a seconds hand and therefore it is absolutely silent which is important to me.
"Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."
Un-quartz your next timepiece.
"As always, should you or any of your [Automatic] Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape/disc will self-destruct in five/ten seconds. Good luck, [KSTR].";)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the topic of thin, here is a modern automatic sport watch:

image.jpg

It wears like skin. And it’s lighter than any other watch I own, including any of the quartz watches, except the plastic Swatch Sistem 51 (and I’m not positive about that one).

Watches that are chunky are so because of style, not type.

Rick “Ebel has always made the most comfortable bracelets” Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick “Ebel has always made the most comfortable bracelets” Denney
202303_SpeidelBand1.png

There was (is) a way that you can take the common Speidel watchband and carefully twist it, in such a way that the watch turns into this tabletop version:
P1160586.JPG

OT: I scoured images.google but could not find an example... only to remember that my 'image.local' server could produce such a photo...;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 272349
There was (is) a way that you can take the common Speidel watchband and carefully twist it, in such a way that the watch turns into this tabletop version:
View attachment 272362
OT: I scoured images.google but could not find an example... only to remember that my 'image.local' server could produce such a photo...;)
Not for those with hairy arms.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not for those with hairy arms.
Which would not be hairy any more after wearing a Twist-a-Flex for a while.

But I love Speidel bracelets. Nothing reduces the price of a vintage watch more.

This watch, with a Speidel band and missing the seconds hand, on sale at a ham radio flea market, was worth metal value only. I paid less than that for it.

file-8ADABDFA-8931-4AFF-8D05-BBC1353CBD5A-576-00000068BC296E18.JPG

On a custom period-correct Camille Fournet lizard strap and with the proper blued steel seconds hand, it is a ca. 1946 18k gold Jaeger-LeCoultre reference 2953 with a 12’’’ caliber P450, worth…much more:

file-7B3E251F-0549-4605-AF6C-A1AF8FC37BBB-576-00000068BE09FA42.JPG

Rick “this one was a good investment, as it turns out” Denney

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But I love Speidel bracelets. Nothing reduces the price of a vintage watch more.

This watch, with a Speidel band and missing the seconds hand, on sale at a ham radio flea market, was worth metal value only. I paid less than that for it.

On a custom period-correct Camille Fournet lizard strap and with the proper blued steel seconds hand, it is a ca. 1946 18k gold Jaeger-LeCoultre reference 2953 with a 12’’’ caliber P450, worth…much more:

Is that the same company that made the Atmos clocks that never need winding?

Oh and are you saying the seconds hand no longer moves? I see it in the same location in both photos.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that the same company that made the Atmos clocks that never need winding?

Oh and are you saying the seconds hand no longer moves? I see it in the same location in both photos.

Yes, the same company.

It’s a coincidence that the seconds hand is in the same position. I never noticed that in these two photos.

The story: this vendor at a hamfest had a whole table full of mostly cheap quartz watches. His business model seemed to be buying them unworking for a buck or two, putting a battery in them, and then selling them to cheapskate hams for ten bucks or so. He had an area reserved for better brands with higher prices, and a small glass case for watches he thought were fancier, including mechanical watches. This JLC and a 1970 Bulova were in that case. I focused my attention on the Bulova as a distraction, but then with a shrug asked to see “that other one”.

The case is in two parts, a main ring and bezel as one part (that holds the crystal and movement) plus a snap back. There were no marks on the outside of the case, but there were clues:

1) It had a gold-colored back. Swiss watches that are plated have stainless steel backs, and this was true even in 1946.

2) It read “Jaeger LeCoultre” on the dial. Even though Jaeger had merged with LeCoultre in 1938, Jaeger sounded too German for the American market during and after WWII, and their watches were simply branded “LeCoultre” when imported by Wittnauer, right up to the 70’s.

Those two clues told me it was a solid gold case made for the Swiss home market.

But the caseback was not fitting correctly on the ring. He kept trying to snap it home by pressing the crystal and back between thumb and forefinger, but those two parts were already touching inside the ring of the main case and it had no effect. But in diddling with it, the caseback came loose. I said, “well as long as it is off I might as well see the movement”.

Three more observations resulted:

3) The inside of the back showed Swiss hallmarks for 18K (0.750) gold and the responsibility mark for LeCoultre. Yes, I know what those marks look like.

4) The movement was clearly a LeCoultre P450C. The P stands for the Parachoc shock-resistant system, which was KIF’s early competition to Incabloc. KIF was and still is preferred over Incabloc by the high-end brands. By early, I mean the 40’s.

5) The movement had a big gear on the back driving a tiny pinion in the center. This is called an indirectly driven sweep (center) seconds hand, an innovative feature in the mid-40’s. The flat spring damps jitter. (Now, central seconds is achieved by centrally positioning the fourth wheel).

IMG_2639.JPG

So, by that time I knew it was authentic, gold, and made in the 40’s.

I asked him how old he thought it was, and he said “60’s, judging from the band.” Heh. :) :)

“I dunno. Seems like a lot for a 60’s watch with a damaged case.” Which it would have been if it was a lesser brand.

Then, I thanked him and walked away. My wife, the official family negotiator, read my patter and went back later and wrangled the poor guy down for both the JLC and the Bulova.

My plausible speculative history is that an American soldier, stationed in Germany during the post-war occupation, nipped down to Switzerland and bought the watch as a souvenir. It would have retailed at $300 in the US when new, so it was a nice souvenir. Europe was desperate for cash and discounts abounded. He brought his souvenir home and wore it for a couple of decades—long enough to put a Speidel band on it—but then dropped it and the case came apart and seconds hand fell off and was lost. It eventually ended up in the guy’s estate and was probably bought for pennies by our vendor.

I found the seconds hand by looking up the part number for that central pinion, and then cataloguing what other LeCoultre movements used it. Miraculously, one came up for a compatible movement on eBay within a couple of weeks. It was a NOS replacement blued steel seconds hand still in the paper JLC envelope. I paid fifty bucks for that seconds hand :) (I had installed it on the watch before removing the old bracelet in the first picture. I had cleaned the watch by then, too.)

It runs perfectly.

Rick “vintage watch collecting does require some study” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watches are a lot like hi-fi in that regard. A $150k watch does not tell time better than a $150 watch. In fact it is less accurate, less reliable, and requires more servicing and more adjusting. Even the comments here are similar to what we see elsewhere in ASR, e.g. that comment about hiring a PA to follow you around to tell you the time is similar to hiring a band of musicians to play for you every night. What that $150k buys you is craftsmanship. Which is why so many people are fascinated by turntables and valve amps even though the performance might be inferior to your $300 Topping. It's a different market with different priorities, and they don't care. There are even more examples - why do I bother with a beautiful hard cover coffee table book when I could get the same information from a Kindle? Why buy a fountain pen when we have keyboards? Why hang art on walls when you could buy a digital picture frame and enjoy works from the Masters on demand?
The difference is disclosure. The buyer of a $150K watch knows he is buying mechanical art, and knows it won’t be as accurate or as easy to own as a typical quartz watch. The buyer of high-end audio is repeatedly told and apparently believes it will sound better.

Rick “watch collectors are foolish when they think their watches are reliable financial investments” Denney

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hey, rdenny, you need to wear that Speidel some more to do some depilatory on that arm!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, rdenny, you need to wear that Speidel some more to do some depilatory on that arm!
I’m not one who believes men should look like boys.

Rick “hair happens” Denney

Reactions: EJ3

nick-v

20230319_150816.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not one who believes men should look like boys.
I hope we have no UFC fighters hearing you say that!

Has anyone heard of (or owned) a thermoelectric watch?
202303_SeikoThermic01.png
202303_SeikoThermic03.png

Seiko Thermic was limited-offer (<500 each?) in the (early?) 1990s. It was a tour-de-force with 2 LSI chips internally and had some very clever functionality and unique features. Neither Seiko or Citizen were the first to offer such an energy source for watches. It was related to some patent bravado that had led to this innovation.
I missed my opportunity to own one; only ending up with admiring it on an associate's arm.:(

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ron Texas has a thread with the following statement:
" ...Automatic watches worn by couch potatoes don't seem to make it through the night without winding.
Just some random thoughts..."

From <https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/watches-in-the-21st-century.30246/>
Guilty parties [you know who you are!] please raise your hand or any finger you wish!:facepalm:
-----------
On a less somber note; @amirm thinks:
Ha!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few of Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona watches soon to get auctioned off at Sotheby's.
Starting auction price ~$500K/ea, expected to fetch >$1M/ea.
Another one of his watches had breached $17M (28M?) at an auction.
Please don't overbid.;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Arnault dude (LVMH fame), who is worth even more than the Musk dude, wears this Tiffany blue-faced Patek Philippe Nautilus (right-wrist; no less!):
202304_ArnaultPatekPhilippe.jpg
Posh!

Top Bottom