• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

woofersus

Audio Company
Recently got my first "fancy" watch. A Tudor Black Bay Chrono with the Panda dial and steel bracelet.

Attachments

• 20230308_151857.jpg
    20230308_151857.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 67

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wear a Coros Pace 2 fitness watch. As a 'smartwatch' it's cheap, good battery life and has features I enjoy. From a fashion standpoint it's deplorable and I wish I could wear one of my mechanical watches instead, but I like the data I get from the Coros and I'm not going to wear two watches. I'll upgrade to a Garmin once the features / price point I want meet.

It's a shame stuff like more discrete high-end fitness rings / wristbands / anklets never really took off, but fitness tracking suffers from modern marketing, that nothing's worth doing if you're not showing others you're doing it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out this automatic ladies watch that the g/f just dug out of some closet and dropped on my desk:
202303_MysteryWatch01.png

Ratty looking but the 2nd hand (shuttle) is still ticking...
202303_MysteryWatch02.png

It appears to be some type of commemorative watch for the 1986 shuttle disaster?
She doesn't remember anything about the watch.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Financials - Nest-Eggs - Investments: Recommendations for building up a robust portfolio have been good advice for the masses.
OT? I think NOT!:oops:
Thinking of wagering w/your loot - on anything USED - has always been a crap-shoot and almost like dumpster-diving.
You are actually betting on someone else's USED stock, ETF, etc. - with whatever wonga you own... in the hopes of ROI.
It so turns out that USED (aka vintage/secondhand) watches are beating the stock market (returns) by a wide margin in the last ~5 years.
'Growth rate' of such watches is currently tagged to be @20%/yr versus just 8%/yr for S&P500.
[Link to the wsj article here]
I've never purchased a timepiece as an investment but YMMV.

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
The WSJ article is paywalled, but the vast majority of watches lose value over time. The universal advice at forums.watchuseek.com is to buy watches for fun, never as an investment, unless you are so knowledgeable that you don't need to ask for advice in the first place.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The WSJ article is paywalled, but the vast majority of watches lose value over time. The universal advice at forums.watchuseek.com is to buy watches for fun, never as an investment, unless you are so knowledgeable that you don't need to ask for advice in the first place.
I have a friend (a mechanic) that took the advice "Only buy stocks that you know something about." He goes on cruises a lot (several times a year) on one particular Cruise line So he started buying their stock (to the point that he has made it into the top echelon of their club and they send him a free cruise from time to time). And he has made quite a bit of money just buying more and more of this one stock. He says. well, I figured that I know cruises, so I started buying in. These days, he is making more from the cruise stock than being a mechanic, he owns 1/2 a city block full of fabrication shops, warehouses, etc, who all rent from him. Apparently buy what you like & what you know works for some people.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a friend (a mechanic) that took the advice "Only buy stocks that you know something about." He goes on cruises a lot (several times a year) on one particular Cruise line So he started buying their stock (to the point that he has made it into the top echelon of their club and they send him a free cruise from time to time). And he has made quite a bit of money just buying more and more of this one stock. He says. well, I figured that I know cruises, so I started buying in. These days, he is making more from the cruise stock than being a mechanic, he owns 1/2 a city block full of fabrication shops, warehouses, etc, who all rent from him. Apparently buy what you like & what you know works for some people.
Cool and true advise but partial.
The timing (another knowledge point) of the BUY seems to be less critical when compared to the timing of SELL!
TINA is not always the answer and neither is getting EMOTIONAL that ends up distorting that a priori knowledge.
NOTE: I know jack about financials.;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Was eating in a fine restaurant last week. Had this discussion with my nephew who does and wants to drop lots of dough on watches. Investment piece was said by him about 30 times. I told him to stop listening to the salesmanship and buy a few pieces he really likes. To invest in real investments. Nope, not having any of it. Every old watch is an investment piece and high quality new watches go up in value as they age. :facepalm:

Now I know this is true of some watches, but not the kind he is able to buy.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was eating in a fine restaurant last week... but not the kind he is able to buy...
NOT doing the former (~10x), may allow him to do the latter (~1x)!
202303_Swear.jpg
that I have never considered a timepiece as an investment instrument... not even for daylight 'savings' time!:facepalm:
YMMV

MarkS

Major Contributor
Well I wish your nephew luck.

Here's a good response to that article
It's also never been an investment, just speculative. It has zero underlying fundamentals that drive its value; the only thing that does is the fact that tomorrow, the Bitcoin/Peaky Blinder/bro crowd are (or were) willing to pay more for no reason other than the day after, someone else was willing to pay even more again. Now, with absolutely zero change to the underlying vehicle, tomorrow's buyers are willing to pay less due to general market sentiment. No more, no less.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I am glad I got the watches I wanted when I did. I could not or would not want to afford them nowadays. I haven't bought a watch in years. The prices are absolutely crazy. I hope someday all these people that don't even care about watches and buy them for "investment" will leave some day - even if that means that my own collection will go down in value.

That said, part of the reason I bought what I did was they at least kept their value. Most of them almost doubled their prices, so on paper I am happy camper. But I like every watch and I have not considered selling them so far.

1678816485305.png

One watch I still got on my bucket list is the Omega Speedmaster. I remember when you could get it below list price, I think list was something like 4300€ and you could buy it at a grey market trader for 3800€. I considered it not worth/rather get something else first back then. This is how the prices developed:

1678816558312.png

And these are used prices for the old model. I am not buying one now. If you want the current model it's 6k new. And others are much worse.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was eating in a fine restaurant last week. Had this discussion with my nephew who does and wants to drop lots of dough on watches. Investment piece was said by him about 30 times. I told him to stop listening to the salesmanship and buy a few pieces he really likes. To invest in real investments. Nope, not having any of it. Every old watch is an investment piece and high quality new watches go up in value as they age. :facepalm:

Now I know this is true of some watches, but not the kind he is able to buy.
Sigh.

I own dozens of watches (I'm a collector). I don't think a single one of them is worth more than it's new retail price. Not one. A couple are close, but would still be losers in return on investment.

Watches that gain in value are few:

1. Old watches that are particularly unique and valuable. One example: A Heuer Autavia from 1970 or whatever. A Rolex Daytona owned by Paul Newman. A few very special, very high-end creations from currently out-of-reach high-end brands.

2. Watches subject to a current value bubble. This currently applies to all steel Rolex sport watches. Bubbles pop, but you can't tell that to a Rolex collector. Rolex collectors have lost their minds.

3. Patek-Philippe and a few examples of other high-end brands such as Audemars Piguet or Vacheron Constantin. The correct model and the incorrect model from a value perspective may hinge on whether one of the chronograph pusher buttons is red or black. Meaning: Even experts can't predict it.

Playing a current value bubble is fun but can really leave you holding the bag.

Watches are like art. People who buy art they don't like for investment purposes cannot call themselves art lovers.

Rick "stays away from Rolex" Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh.
...Watches are like art. People who buy art they don't like for investment purposes cannot call themselves art lovers...
Them words be way eloquent!

I have landed on some quality watches in local 'garage/estate' sales which I comp to others as gifts.

OT: I don't call myself either an investor or a lover; yet the art (?phantasmagoric?) our house-walls have attracted, continue to outperform returns of our nest-eggs, over the decades. That was never the intent but who are we to complain!:)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool and true advise but partial.
The timing (another knowledge point) of the BUY seems to be less critical when compared to the timing of SELL!
TINA is not always the answer and neither is getting EMOTIONAL that ends up distorting that a priori knowledge.
NOTE: I know jack about financials.;)
He started out buying a thousand (shares or whatever you call them). At the end of every mon, he buys a hundred more. And so on. He just consistently buys the same amount of shares more every month. so far, no matter if it goes down or up. It has been averaging up these last 2 years (when he started)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He started out buying a thousand (shares or whatever you call them). At the end of every mon, he buys a hundred more. And so on. He just consistently buys the same amount of shares more every month. so far, no matter if it goes down or up. It has been averaging up these last 2 years (when he started)
If you buy regularly using a constant dollar amount, you automatically buy more when prices are low and less when prices are high.

Rick "it's called dollar-cost averaging" Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you buy regularly using a constant dollar amount, you automatically buy more when prices are low and less when prices are high.
Rick "it's called dollar-cost averaging" Denney
Are those words-of-wisdom from a contrarian? No matter.
It is still clever reverse-thinking; even if you are investing w/Krugerrrands!;)

Top Bottom