• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Zog

Currently have the left, thinking of buying the right...
View attachment 173311
The Timex is a goodie but the Klein just looks kitsch. The Seiko SUR line has a lot of potions. Another really classy brand that wont break the bank is Tissot. I have a Timex that I have never worn! I just keep it by my bedside for the Indiglo feature - it works a treat.

Reactions: EJ3

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Another military timepiece, this one is a 1940s Elgin pocket watch used by bombardiers in ascertaining a successful delivery of their ordinance. Obviously this one is in need of some TLC.

1F85A712-AC54-4655-BBA7-E922E0DB66F0_1_201_a.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another military timepiece, this one is a 1940s Elgin pocket watch
That's very cool timepiece. You don't see many '24-hour' watches, let alone one that you have to "wind" daily.

Amazon has 6 cheezy [oooops! I mean cute and cheap] "single handed watches"
Snag_8b8658d9.png

The UniqueWatchGuide.com shows some classy-looking 'single handed watches'
According to Defakto [one such watchmaker] by wearing one of their watches "Your way of experiencing time will get way more relaxed and laid back“.
I dunno, it seems like you'd be losing a few seconds each time you try to tell what time it is.;)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's very cool timepiece. You don't see many '24-hour' watches, let alone one that you have to "wind" daily.

Amazon has 6 cheezy [oooops! I mean cute and cheap] "single handed watches"
View attachment 173511
The UniqueWatchGuide.com shows some classy-looking 'single handed watches'
According to Defakto [one such watchmaker] by wearing one of their watches "Your way of experiencing time will get way more relaxed and laid back“.
I dunno, it seems like you'd be losing a few seconds each time you try to tell what time it is.;)
Not a 24 hour but there are a lot of gmt watches

Pretorious

Finally gathered my ideas about the Apple Watch into a post on my blog. It's not by any means a formal review, just a collection of my ideas over the course of the years. Some of you may be interested so I leave a link here.

Apple Watch Non-Fitness Review

I picked up this Tissot on an Amazon Warehouse deal that I couldn't pass up. It's been on my wish list for a while now. Lovely watch.

IMG_5394.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up this Tissot on an Amazon Warehouse deal that I couldn't pass up. It's been on my wish list for a while now. Lovely watch.
That is a classic looking Tissot face, an automatic, w/a deployment buckle ['deployant clasp'?] and a gorgeous exhibition back.
202112_Tissot.jpg
Woot (eBay is asking $372.44) worth the price!

The only shitz about yours is the fact that (as elegant as the leather band is); sooner or later you will need a replacement.
The original leather band (w/three 6mm stamped holes on each leg) on my Tissot PRS 516, crapped out after daily use for a year and I went with a replacement silicone version.
When putting on/off a leather band; I suggest NOT excessively bending the leather part that is resting on the tang/buckle. This repetitive bending of the leather causes small cracks leading to a replacement.
Some owners of pricey watches w/leather bands use Lexol leather treatment (used to be pH balanced and un-toxic against skin).

Pretorious

That's well worth the price, for sure. I was lucky to find it on Amazon Warehouse for cheaper yet, at $280.

Good to know about the band. I do try and avoid bending at the buckle portion and slide it through before clasping to ensure this.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that 2021 Christmas/Holidays is just a few days away.
I hope and wish that everyone of us is gifted (at least) with that IWC (same or of higher $$) simple automatic watch!

Yey!:)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Malubier of the French Navy wrote his spec for a dive watch that included all the basic features we see in a diver (water resistance, movable timing bezel, lume, etc.), his timing was good. Blancpain and Zodiac were the first to respond with the Fifty Fathoms and the Sea Wolf, respectively, and Rolex followed a year later with the Submariner. 1953 was the right time—people were becoming less formal and a “sport” watch on a steel bracelet became a popular casual style. Television, particularly Jacques Cousteau, popularized diving, and he wore all of those first three at various times.

Then, Vietnam happened, and American soldiers bought watches at discounted military exchange prices. Divers survived better, and the Zodiac Sea Wolf was a popular choice because it was half the price of Rolex.

All that cemented the diver into American culture. All action characters from James Bond to Thomas Magnum (the first one) wore them, and everyone wanted to look like they spent Sunday afternoons battling marlin off the Florida coast from the deck of their Chris Craft.

As long as that mythos remains appealing, so will divers.

This Ebel Sportwave Aquatica 500 is a favorite in my collection, and a limited edition of a hundred with the 500-meter depth rating. I also have a vintage Sea Wolf. (I have others, too, but this is enough for now.)

aquatica_nikonos.jpg

Here’s the vintage Sea Wolf, from the early 60’s:

But for looking tough, my US Government official issue Marathon GSAR is the ticket:

Rick “no, the Marathon was not issued to me by the government” Denney

I just spot the Nikonos, on the right which is worth a scuba thread on its own.
It's maybe a bit late now, but if digital wouldn't exist, I would certainly buy one today now that I can afford it.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just spot the Nikonos, on the right which is worth a scuba thread on its own.
It's maybe a bit late now, but if digital wouldn't exist, I would certainly buy one today now that I can afford it.
Digital cameras make so much more sense than a Nikonos. The last time I used it was when snorkeling in Hawaii over 20 years ago. But it makes a good prop for a mechanical dive watch photo.

Rick “wearing the top-side Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer today” Denney

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Peterinvan

25E7DA9F-E791-46BE-A0D0-748F198BF744.jpeg

Casio Titanium Eco Drive

- what is the preoccupation with analogue watches? My Rolex was nowhere as accurate as the Casio.
Never needs batteries. Accurate to +- 1 second between resets when the calendar days/month change. Lightweight (relatively speaking). Only complaint is I cannot read the tiny, recessed date.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
- what is the preoccupation with analogue watches?
Omega Railmaster
Hey, @BelgianJoey? Would you please be kind enough to go to bat for the rest of us and explain our preoccupation w/analogue timepieces to @Peterinvan?
I have failed, previously (and miserably) in answering that question. But I am guessing you'd do a better job as a person that owns a "Master Chronometer".
Please.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 174567

Casio Titanium Eco Drive

- what is the preoccupation with analogue watches? My Rolex was nowhere as accurate as the Casio.
Never needs batteries. Accurate to +- 1 second between resets when the calendar days/month change. Lightweight (relatively speaking). Only complaint is I cannot read the tiny, recessed date.

It’s not about accuracy—few of us really need accuracy better than a minute one way or the other. It’s about owning something made by someone with a name in a way that is worth preserving.

Rick “tired of buying disposable junk from nameless robotic assembly lines” Denney

Top Bottom