• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not about accuracy—few of us really need accuracy better than a minute one way or the other. It’s about owning something made by someone with a name in a way that is worth preserving.

Rick “tired of buying disposable junk from nameless robotic assembly lines” Denney
I go through one of these every ~2.5 years. If the rubber strap is not split then the battery dies but the time keeping accuracy is exceptional. So every 2.5 years I spend $40-50 dependent on the day's pricing. So over a 80 year lifespan commencing purchases of said watch at age ~15 then the expense is roughly ~$1040.00 to ~$1300.00 - If I could buy a watch that actually lasted that long, was decent looking, has a large display and kept the time for that money I would maybe buy one. It would need to be rubber though. Doesn't scratch stuff, does not ruin shirt cuffs and is not conductive. The Casio sports watches are nice but they have such a measly display, the Iron Man have declined to that weirdO look or as outdoorsy camping watches.
81+4bPRJjqS._AC_UY550_.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This maybe the best answer I can come up with (if 1000 words = 1 picture):
Snag_17d8c3b3.png

We've become quite close to this but I (and even maybe some of us) try to lead life with minimal dependencies on batteries in possession.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I go through one of these every ~2.5 years. If the rubber strap is not split then the battery dies but the time keeping accuracy is exceptional. So every 2.5 years I spend $40-50 dependent on the day's pricing. So over a 80 year lifespan commencing purchases of said watch at age ~15 then the expense is roughly ~$1040.00 to ~$1300.00 - If I could buy a watch that actually lasted that long, was decent looking, has a large display and kept the time for that money I would maybe buy one. It would need to be rubber though. Doesn't scratch stuff, does not ruin shirt cuffs and is not conductive. The Casio sports watches are nice but they have such a measly display, the Iron Man have declined to that weirdO look or as outdoorsy camping watches.
81+4bPRJjqS._AC_UY550_.jpg

Your choice—whatever meets your needs. I wore a Timex Ironman for years in my younger years.

But at my current “station in life” (that was a joke; you can laugh) I would not wear a big plastic watch with a suit or in a meeting, even if everyone else was. I’d feel like I was wearing sneakers. Which they may also be wearing.

But there are many very nice watches that cost a heck of a lot less than a Rolex, and will still last a lifetime.

Rick “who’s never ruined a shirt cuff wearing a nice watch” Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick “who’s never ruined a shirt cuff wearing a nice watch” Denney
I've shredded the edges of cuffs from a nice ~$1K in todays bucks SeikO that I wore daily at work. The shirts expensed me more than the watch. :D I like my sleeves a bit longer as I do the legs.

BelgianJoey

Hey, @BelgianJoey? Would you please be kind enough to go to bat for the rest of us and explain our preoccupation w/analogue timepieces to @Peterinvan?
I have failed, previously (and miserably) in answering that question. But I am guessing you'd do a better job as a person that owns a "Master Chronometer".
Please.
Why an analog timepiece in a world full of atomic clock precision indicators on phones, tablets and computers?
Why, if you need to have it on your wrist, not a more precise and far cheaper quartz watch?

For me, it’s my little absurdity. There is no real rational reason.

Yet, I put the watch regularly to my ear just to hear the tiny parts tick-tocking inside. To know that these tiny parts will continue to sing their song for (hopefully) many years to come fills me amazement.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was part of a 6000km rally, from Denver to Panama Canal, on a K75 bike (circa 1990).
My bike companion for this trip was this Casio ATC-1200 (1170) Japan M Triple-Sensor Pathfinder (barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass).
P1100458.JPG

I can honestly say that this Casio really saved my bacon more than once… and, I lived to tell about it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was part of a 6000km rally, from Denver to Panama Canal, on a K75 bike (circa 1990).
My bike companion for this trip was this Casio ATC-1200 (1170) Japan M Triple-Sensor Pathfinder (barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass).
View attachment 174590
I can honestly say that this Casio really saved my bacon more than once… and, I lived to tell about it.
I like Casio although I want a urban use digital. Is that a dinner table "Lazy Suzanne" rotating center piece?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As my vision has deteriorated, I am considering purchasing another "high readability" wristwatch like this (I have the wall clock version in our kitchen) but dislike the idea of buying more than I need....
Hey, @Nemo; I have a version of that Mondaine that MAY allow you the "high visibility" that you are [errrr....] seeking:
1640472848500.png

If we can manage it somehow, I am willing to do an even-up trade with you, if mine would be more to your preference.
Mine is the reverse B/W color scheme, yet looks to have an o-ring in the crown that yours lacks.
My mate has worn it more than I ever had and she approves of such an even-up trade but only if it will help.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mechanical watches are jewelery and exhibitions of engineering skill and artistic craft. They are collectable. They communicate taste and status in some cases. For some people, they are investments as well. They hold sentimental value. I like them because they are beautiful.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess Bremont MBII is about the only other watch that is in my bucket list... after, of course, a Panerai Submersible Bianco @2x the price of the MBII.
Snag_1901324c.png
MB=MartinBaker of the ejection-seat fame.
I am surprised that nobody from our Brit-brigade has posted one.
We are also missing any Shinola (from Detroit) fans, from the US-brigade.

MK-Dave

I prefer my watches to be descrete. I bought my quartz movement DeVile back in 96 and wear it every day other than when it's been in for a service/battery change or new wrist strap (on my 4th strap now).
20220102_130718.jpg
However if money was no object then I would buy a Piaget Altiplano basic mechanical movement without the automatic mechanism but alas £15k will never be in my price range.
piaget.jpg

MarkS

Major Contributor
You can get an Epos Origianle 3408 that is actually 0.1mm thinner than that Piaget for less than 1/10 the price:

Of course the case is steel instead of white gold.

Here's my blue dial version:

IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Epos is a pretty good ripoff of the Altiplano (and the JLC Master Ultra-Thin), and a good, solid watch. The Peseux 7001 movement it uses is, like the Piaget 430P, a variation on the standard 17-jewel handwind design used by the Swiss for many decades, but the resemblance requires some distance.

Up close, the Piaget movement has loads of hand-finishing not found in the Peseux—anglage, fire-blued rather than lacquered blue screws, perlage on the main plate—plus an inset adjustment plate on the winding bridge. The 430P will have several dozen hours in the hands of a master watchmaker more then the Peseux, at least in the trim level used by Epos.

I think if you held both in your hands, you would not need golden eyes to see the difference. Whether that difference is worth so much more money is, of course, a whole different question.

Rick “both would have been plain daily-wear watches back in the 50’s and earlier” Denney

Reactions: 617

MarkS

Major Contributor
The Epos is a pretty good ripoff of the Altiplano
That's an absurd statement Rick; I expect better from you.

Both watches use a basic, classic dial design. And then there are many differences: small seconds vs no seconds and completely different lug shapes, to name two.

MarkS (Avo at WUS)

Bleib

Major Contributor
3 Casios (2 of them solar) and one Amazfit smartwatch
2nd one is my favorite, the third is newest (it replaced a Citizen eco-drive)

1st one is an old pic, it's been replaced with a less worn out version. I use it mainly at the gym
2nd fits into just about any occasion, sapphire glass, radio controlled time
3rd is the first g-shock, this one in metal looks really nice, but it can be a bit too dark to see in a darker room. Battery lasts about 3 years so sadly not solar.

Attachments

• 88ApahX.jpg
    88ApahX.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Mxqox52.jpg
    Mxqox52.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 94
  • rQpCtKt.jpg
    rQpCtKt.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20220103_194552.jpg
    IMG_20220103_194552.jpg