• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an absurd statement Rick; I expect better from you.

Both watches use a basic, classic dial design. And then there are many differences: small seconds vs no seconds and completely different lug shapes, to name two.

MarkS (Avo at WUS)
It's not really constructive to compare watches with this much variance in cost. An Altiplano starts around what, 15-20k? It's a well known design from a well known brand with a beautiful in house movement. The Epos is really nice though. I also like the thin options from Nomos and of course JLC.

There's a reason why Epos sells dozens of skeletonized watches for around 2K and a skeletonized VC or AP or PP costs 100k, not to say I would ever pay it.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Certainly you get something for the extra money for the Piaget vs the Epos: white gold vs steel, much more detailed movement finishing, etc.

I was objecting to Rick's statement that the Epos was a "ripoff" of the Piaget.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly you get something for the extra money for the Piaget vs the Epos: white gold vs steel, much more detailed movement finishing, etc.

I was objecting to Rick's statement that the Epos was a "ripoff" of the Piaget.
Oh I agree completely. At one point in history, every watchmaker was trying to make the thinnest watch in the world. The epos looks more like a hybrid of different VC models than a piaget. Also I believe every altiplano I've seen with small seconds had the seconds at 4 or 10.

Does that watch come on the milanese strap or did you put that on?

MarkS

Major Contributor
The milanese came with the watch, it's a standard option. Decent quality.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an absurd statement Rick; I expect better from you.

Both watches use a basic, classic dial design. And then there are many differences: small seconds vs no seconds and completely different lug shapes, to name two.

MarkS (Avo at WUS)
I intended no offense--my apologies. I'm getting old and crusty.

Not really absurd, though--clearly Epos is trying to offer an alternative to those who really admire the ultra-thin dress watches from JLC and others (and more JLC than Piaget it is true--JLC is a much bigger player), but simply can't afford one. Sure, the designs are classic and the details are different, but I suspect if that sort of watch was NOT offered by those high-end brands, it would also not be offered by Epos.

There is nothing wrong with that! It's good competition at work. I'm not accusing Epos of stealing anything, except maybe a bit of our fantasies.

Let me put it another way: I'd buy it and not feel even a little guilty.

Except that I already have a thin hand-wind dress watch that I don't wear very often. Mine's even older and crustier than I am.

Rick "
JLC-2953-wrist.JPG
" Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Late 1980s, LA was in the middle of a rash of thieves ripping-off expensive watches from people's arms. Around that time, I started wearing my watches on the inside of the wrist. In hindsight, it is less flashy but also makes the watch-face less prone to being nicked (both literal/figurative).:rolleyes:

Does anyone own a Swatch SISTEM51 watch, in the ASR herd?
"51" as in ONLY 51 parts to make an automatic watch, for around $200.
Snag_8c3f90.png
<< I think this is the backside but daaang, it even looks wearable just the way it is. Left or right hand too.
We were at the local Jack's surfshop and one of these S51 watches almost came home with me before sensibility kicked-in that I already own enough automatics and not enough wrists.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Late 1980s, LA was in the middle of a rash of thieves ripping-off expensive watches from people's arms. Around that time, I started wearing my watches on the inside of the wrist. In hindsight, it is less flashy but also makes the watch-face less prone to being nicked (both literal/figurative).:rolleyes:

Does anyone own a Swatch SISTEM51 watch, in the ASR herd?
"51" as in ONLY 51 parts to make an automatic watch, for around $200.
View attachment 176503<< I think this is the backside but daaang, it even looks wearable just the way it is. Left or right hand too.
We were at the local Jack's surfshop and one of these S51 watches almost came home with me before sensibility kicked-in that I already own enough automatics and not enough wrists.
IMG_2291.JPG

I bought it when vacationing in Switzerland with my wife, at the Swatch boutique in Geneva. It was April '14, before the Sistem 51 was available in the US. I use it while running--it's light and doesn't wear a hole in my wrist. It's been tough as nails so far.

Rick "not the only watch that came back from Switzerland with us" Denney

MarkS

Major Contributor
clearly Epos is trying to offer an alternative to those who really admire the ultra-thin dress watches from JLC and others
Oh please. The ETA 7001 that Epos uses has been in production since 1971, and has been used to make a variety of thin watches by many companies that used this movement. JLC did not come up with their "ultra-thin" movement until 1997.

And their "ultra-thin" watches are not in fact very thin. Their small-seconds "ultra-thin" is a rather uninspiring 8.1mm thick, compared to the Epos 5.9mm. Yes, I know that the JLC is an automatic movement rather than handwind, which increases the thickness, but still: "ultra-thin" it ain't.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
My other addiction ‘Watches’ don’t wear any sort of jewellery just love them. In common with HiFi they suffer from the law of diminishing returns. Rolex, Omega and other high end watches don’t interest me, the ones I’ve got look good and keep perfect time, so why spend thousands on something that doesn’t perform or look any better?
Had a nasty experience with a couple of watches recently, during the lockdown several of them had flat batteries and took them to the bloke in our local market. Went to pick them up and he started going on about how much more the local jewellers charged to change watch batteries, then said the watch strap on my Skagen had been ripped off accidentally. Paid him took them home only to find the glass on my BMW watch was smashed. Can’t prove anything just avoid giving him business in the future.
Some of my collection in the photo.

45E4C524-68A1-4A87-A18D-DF40EDDC7929.jpeg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh please. The ETA 7001 that Epos uses has been in production since 1971, and has been used to make a variety of thin watches by many companies that used this movement. JLC did not come up with their "ultra-thin" movement until 1997.

And their "ultra-thin" watches are not in fact very thin. Their small-seconds "ultra-thin" is a rather uninspiring 8.1mm thick, compared to the Epos 5.9mm. Yes, I know that the JLC is an automatic movement rather than handwind, which increases the thickness, but still: "ultra-thin" it ain't.

This isn’t WUS. I’ve apologized once already.

The Epos 3408 came out in 2014, near as I can tell, about a year after the JLC Master Ultra Thin Jubilee, which was 4mm thick and used the handwind caliber 849. The case shapes and design details look pretty similar to me. The MUT in all its various versions has been an aspirational fan favorite as you know, and as such drives the market. It’s not the only watch in the Epos catalog that resembles watches from more expensive brands, but that’s hardly unusual at the price point.

I handled a MUT Jubilee in the 4mm case with the similarly curved lugs in 2013 at a store in Virginia. It could be argued that JLC was also trading on the notoriety of the Altiplano.

Rick “who posts rarely on WUS any more” Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this 'one' qualifies as a watch or a pos momento...
1641330776700.png

You can be the judge!

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
The Epos 3408 came out in 2014, near as I can tell, about a year after the JLC Master Ultra Thin Jubilee, which was 4mm thick and used the handwind caliber 849. The case shapes and design details look pretty similar to me.
Not to me, but whatever. My claim is that the history of thin watches is much too long and complicated to ascribe any one particular watch as the specific impetus for another. https://monochrome-watches.com/the-return-of-ultra-thin-watches-technical-perspective/

MarkS

Major Contributor
Had a nasty experience with a couple of watches recently, during the lockdown several of them had flat batteries and took them to the bloke in our local market. Went to pick them up and he started going on about how much more the local jewellers charged to change watch batteries, then said the watch strap on my Skagen had been ripped off accidentally. Paid him took them home only to find the glass on my BMW watch was smashed. Can’t prove anything just avoid giving him business in the future.
Ouch, that really sucks. I've learned to change my own batteries (on non-solar battery watches, which I now avoid) and straps.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've learned to change my own batteries (on non-solar battery watches, which I now avoid)
My mate handed me one of her watches and asked if I can change the battery... I said sure and took credit for obeying to her commands, except that I did not tell her the one she wanted a fresh battery in was an automatic!

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Ouch, that really sucks. I've learned to change my own batteries (on non-solar battery watches, which I now avoid) and straps.
Luckily had a gold bracelet that fitted the Skagen, fitted it myself looks better. Still not had the glass changed on my BMW watch. Will need to get it done before the Summer, it’s for my Great Nephew Milo when he comes over from California. Give him a watch every year and he looks after them, lovely kid.

C98450A6-5EA7-4973-AFBD-02BE1AC99FB7.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the GrandDaddy of all time pieces you own now and forever in the future:;)
P1100504.JPG

This is the 1995 version (#1 of 1) made of coffee-wood by 'GuiBa'.
Now, maybe 'export restricted' and/or maybe considered a 'national treasure' by some country that should remain unidentified.

Top Bottom