• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Casio W59 with braided strap
I had a F-91W but it ended up in the army's air duct with the alarm ringing at night, hopefully it got some more mileage after that :)
And which of them do you find better?
I always dreamt about F-91W but feared people would call me a terrorist instead of broke/old-fashioned/out... Well, I would't care in any case but only the latter is politically correct :)

Zog

These are my main two watches. First a Seiko SARX055. It has an eye-popping dial - it somehow always seems to reflect more light than is actually in the room. The applied indices and hands have been polished to a degree that makes them look like silver or chrome. I put on a red leather strap from MCL, and that together with the titanium case makes for a very light and comfortable fit. When I first put it on it was so attractive that I felt I was going to be mobbed by girls. Disappointed!

The other is a Casio Oceanus (stock image). It is an eco drive and links to my phone via bluetooth. So never needs a battery change or time-setting as it is never more than one second out. I have a few other watches but the only other one I wear is a replica Luftwaffe Pilot's watch. The only things that give it away as not being real is the quartz movement.
MCL 2.JPG
ocw_t200s_2ajf_3.jpg

My aspiration is to own a Grand Seiko.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are my main two watches. First a Seiko SARX055. It has an eye-popping dial - it somehow always seems to reflect more light than is actually in the room. The applied indices and hands have been polished to a degree that makes them look like silver or chrome. I put on a red leather strap from MCL, and that together with the titanium case makes for a very light and comfortable fit. When I first put it on it was so attractive that I felt I was going to be mobbed by girls. Disappointed!

The other is a Casio Oceanus (stock image). It is an eco drive and links to my phone via bluetooth. So never needs a battery change or time-setting as it is never more than one second out. I have a few other watches but the only other one I wear is a replica Luftwaffe Pilot's watch. The only things that give it away as not being real is the quartz movement.

My aspiration is to own a Grand Seiko.

I have seen several Grand Seikos irl, wonderful dials and finishing, but the thickness really cheapens it in that price segment... 13+ mm for a time-and-date auto is excessive, especially since it isn't even a diver. The best case designs (the 44GS and 62GS) are also found in frustratingly few models. That said, the latest top GS movements (9R02 manual and 9SA5 hi-beat auto) indicate some new developments that should push them up another level.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With more and more people working from home, perhaps permanently, I wonder if the market for nice timepieces and clothes will weaken.

Maybe people will buy nice timepieces and clothes based almost purely on what they like themselves rather than what will signify status and impress.

Zog

I have seen several Grand Seikos irl, wonderful dials and finishing, but the thickness really cheapens it in that price segment... 13+ mm for a time-and-date auto is excessive, especially since it isn't even a diver. The best case designs (the 44GS and 62GS) are also found in frustratingly few models. That said, the latest top GS movements (9R02 manual and 9SA5 hi-beat auto) indicate some new developments that should push them up another level.
My uncle Goog says 'irl' is In Real Life. Despite my Seiko Presage series Seiko I actually prefer the quartz movements. I am not rabid against mechanical - actually I acknowledge mechanical watch movements as well as valve amplifiers and fountain pens - but aren't the Seiko quartz movement watches in the order of 10.6 mm?

Zog

With more and more people working from home, perhaps permanently, I wonder if the market for nice timepieces and clothes will weaken.
I work from home and this prompted me to get a new watch. Clients sign documents so there is a lot of paper pushing and, shall we say, wrist exposure. Incidentally how can I co this in a time of plague? CV

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I have a few Vostok, but this one is my favourite right now...

35E9A0FD-EADE-4B15-A6AC-752024AB6D4C.jpeg

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I have a few Vostok, but this one is my favourite right now...

View attachment 86845

The Vostok Amphibia is a classic, robust 60s Soviet watch. And there are so many customization options. The 'Scuba Dude' is my favorite. I got mine with heat-blued steel hour and minute hands, red second hand, and a teal bezel to match the aquatic-themed face, plus a mesh bracelet for that retro look, such a fun watch. An automatic mechanical diver with a uniquely elegant 200m water resistance design for just $75? Yes please. (Oh, and the Amphibia also made it into space on a couple of missions in the 70s.)

20201009_035359.jpg

Last edited:

Carl V

Nowadays, Mostly interested in ease of use. Not overly bulky or heavy.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Samurai is one of my favorites, especially this Blue Ocean series. When Drop got them recently, I was tempted. But too many toys already this year... :)

I have enjoyed it. I usually find that I prefer monochrome, black and white for my watches. This is one of the very few with any other coloring that I've continued to enjoy. It's also surprisingly comfortable given its size.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMG_2218.JPG

Tourneau watch and winder case that came with my wife's 25th Anniversary Miata. One of the about 100 that came to the States.

Top Bottom