• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

nick-v

Today I'm wearing this one (Tissot Veloci-T Automatic Chronograph)

Tissot-Veloci-T-Automatic.jpg

Last edited:

nick-v

My collection so far:

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_112245.jpg
    IMG_20200215_112245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200329_161143.jpg
    IMG_20200329_161143.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133

bobbooo

Major Contributor
currently this one. The face is nicest when the display is off though.
View attachment 86889

I have a few smartwatches, but my Nokia Steel HR is probably my favorite (Nokia briefly acquired Withings a couple of years ago). The customizable notifications for any app, heart rate and activity trackers, 50m water resistance and month-long battery life are all I really want in a smartwatch, and it does look quite classy when it's idle with the display off.

20201009_205612.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few smartwatches, but my Nokia Steel HR is probably my favorite (Nokia briefly acquired Withings a couple of years ago). The customizable notifications for any app, heart rate and activity trackers, 50m water resistance and month-long battery life are all I really want in a smartwatch, and it does look quite classy when it's idle with the display off.

View attachment 86935
I had a Steel HR and was so pleased with it, and particularly the Withings app, that I updated to the new Scanwatch which has a blood oxygen sensor which I thought may be helpful for an old bloke in the age of coronavirus.
I love my clockwork watches but mixing it up makes no sense any more since if I am not wearing it I don't get the health check.
The Apple watch I tried had a black display unless woken so I wore a proper watch as well, but no need with this.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I had a Steel HR and was so pleased with it, and particularly the Withings app, that I updated to the new Scanwatch which has a blood oxygen sensor which I thought may be helpful for an old bloke in the age of coronavirus.
I love my clockwork watches but mixing it up makes no sense any more since if I am not wearing it I don't get the health check.
The Apple watch I tried had a black display unless woken so I wore a proper watch as well, but no need with this.

I was considering upgrading to the Scanwatch, but then I read the SpO2 sensor wasn't that accurate, so I didn't think it was worth it. Visually, I also prefer the Nokia branding - Withings always seemed like a French marketing person trying to come up with an English-sounding word to me :D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering upgrading to the Scanwatch, but then I read the SpO2 sensor wasn't that accurate, so I didn't think it was worth it. Visually, I also prefer the Nokia branding - Withings always seemed like a French marketing person trying to come up with an English-sounding word to me :D
It is certified as a class IIa medical device in the EU, It is a medical grade accuracy fit to have data shared with a doctor.
That was good enough for me!
Withings is an odd name, but so is Nokia, who didn't seem to do them any favours.
I also have their BPM core which measures BP, ECG and a sound analysis which showed up an abnormality diagnosed as excess thyroid activity so I am on medication.
I still have a Garmin vivomove which is nicer looking but doesn't work as well.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It is certified as a class IIa medical device in the EU, It is a medical grade accuracy fit to have data shared with a doctor.
That was good enough for me!
Withings is an odd name, but so is Nokia, who didn't seem to do them any favours.
I also have their BPM core which measures BP, ECG and a sound analysis which showed up an abnormality diagnosed as excess thyroid activity so I am on medication.
I still have a Garmin vivomove which is nicer looking but doesn't work as well.

Ah ok, it's just I've seen feedback from users comparing its SpO2 accuracy unfavourably to hospital finger oximeters. As for watch brands, I think I just prefer succinct names that don't take up too much room on the dial for aesthetic reasons. That's one of the reasons why even if I had the money to spare I would never buy a Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe or A. Lange & Sohnne. For some reason I generally don't like brands that are just the founders' (full) names either. It just seems a bit arrogant/egotistical in a way, not to mention unimaginative (at least not as bad as International Watch Company though :D).

Last edited:

shuri

And which of them do you find better?
I always dreamt about F-91W but feared people would call me a terrorist instead of broke/old-fashioned/out... Well, I would't care in any case but only the latter is politically correct :)
The guts are the same, but the W59 has a better casing. The strap connectors are clearly on the sides instead of under the case like in the F91W so it plays better with custom straps.
On a other note, now i'm noticed that there's little Suunto compasses available that fit nicely into the strap. Definetly gonna be pick one of those up

Attachments

• Suunto-Clipper-1-759x500.jpg
    Suunto-Clipper-1-759x500.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 121

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The guts are the same, but the W59 has a better casing. The strap connectors are clearly on the sides instead of under the case like in the F91W so it plays better with custom straps.

I prefer the classic more angular design of the F91W myself, but the upgraded 50m water resistance of the W59 is nice to have. I have quite a few Casio's, but I think this is my favorite:

20201010_234755.jpg

Love the retro 70s/80s styling. It's also both my thinnest (6mm) and most accurate quartz watch (just a couple of seconds out per month), as well as being one of the cheapest. Got to love Casio.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Consider this link on the Casio F-91W.

the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantanamo Bay

Presumably all bakers, farmers, plumbers, electricians, taxi drivers, street sweepers and goat herders that aren't in al-Qaeda wear a Rolex. :facepalm:

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a other note, now i'm noticed that there's little Suunto compasses available that fit nicely into the strap. Definetly gonna be pick one of those up
Nice but what is the use of compass for you other than decoration? You cannot go straight west or straight north because there is always some lake standing in your way in your country.. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using this semi-smart semi-fitness watch lately. Garmin Vivosmart 4. The smart features are a bit more handy than I expected.

It can of course show time and date. I keep it showing date, time, day and heart rate most of the time. Showing blood O2 saturation here.

Ladies seem to really like it because of its slim profile.

1602397117249.png

Top Bottom