• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah ok, it's just I've seen feedback from users comparing its SpO2 accuracy unfavourably to hospital finger oximeters. As for watch brands, I think I just prefer succinct names that don't take up too much room on the dial for aesthetic reasons. That's one of the reasons why even if I had the money to spare I would never buy a Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe or A. Lange & Sohnne. For some reason I generally don't like brands that are just the founders' (full) names either. It just seems a bit arrogant/egotistical in a way, not to mention unimaginative (at least not as bad as International Watch Company though :D).
I had never thought of that. I have zero interest in what the company is called but a strong interest in the movement and manufacturing quality.
The watch business is, like many others, very skewed by clever marketing and the influence on and manipulation of the collectors market.
A lot of brands are mainly marketing and styling excercises using bought in movements.
They are the ones that do not interest me, regardles of the maker's name.
I would very much like a Lange 1 watch, despite the length of the full name :). Far too expensive for me nowadays though.
Clever marketing works well.
Like Rolex, a well designed and excellent movement but mass produced in large quantity (for an in house movement) with the price kept up by limiting supply, not cost of manufacture, very, very profitable.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I had never thought of that. I have zero interest in what the company is called but a strong interest in the movement and manufacturing quality.
The watch business is, like many others, very skewed by clever marketing and the influence on and manipulation of the collectors market.
A lot of brands are mainly marketing and styling excercises using bought in movements.
They are the ones that do not interest me, regardles of the maker's name.
I would very much like a Lange 1 watch, despite the length of the full name :). Far too expensive for me nowadays though.
Clever marketing works well.
Like Rolex, a well designed and excellent movement but mass produced in large quantity (for an in house movement) with the price kept up by limiting supply, not cost of manufacture, very, very profitable.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Lange 1 design - a shrunken, hard to read main dial within a too-large face, asymmetrical subdials, an oversized date window...There just doesn't seem to be any kind of cohesive, proportionate design to it, with disparate elements just seemingly thrown onto the watch face. Not for me. To each their own though :)

Last edited:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
094BB357-0347-4EF3-948D-159F0019B176.jpeg
A Garmin Vivomove that my son gave me. Garmin’s website says this condensation is normal. Only watch I’ve ever had actually do that. Thoughts?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
View attachment 87413A Garmin Vivomove that my son gave me. Garmin’s website says this condensation is normal. Only watch I’ve ever had actually do that. Thoughts?

I have a couple of Citizen watches, both water resistant to 100m and they will fog up like that in certain circumstances. I've noticed it most often when cycling in cold, damp weather, where the wind chill will make the watch body very cold.

When they warm up it clears and it doesn't appear to do any harm, it must have happened quite a few times over the years and they are both well over 10 years old and working just fine.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I have a couple of Citizen watches, both water resistant to 100m and they will fog up like that in certain circumstances. I've noticed it most often when cycling in cold, damp weather, where the wind chill will make the watch body very cold.
When they warm up it clears and it doesn't appear to do any harm, it must have happened quite a few times over the years and they are both well over 10 years old and working just fine.

I appreciate or your input. As a “closed system” I can see how that might be a problem. Seems like a lower humidity manufacturing environment might help mitigate the issue. It can become practically unreadable and seems excessive to me.
On their website, Garmin states that the watch won’t be affected. I suspect the fact that it is black and absorbs the heat of the sun makes it more prone to condensation. Happened while hiking in Maine several times. Not cold...but mid 60’s with sunny days....some breeze. I do perspire pretty heavily, so I was concerned for that reason.

As for the watch, I like it...simple and clean lines...but not so sure I like being nagged all the time... ; )

UCrazyKid

Omega, Seamaster Aqua Terra
IMG_0031.jpg

Nemo

Forum Donor
I find an analog watch useful, as it is faster than checking my phone in many occasions, and helps me avoiding paying too much attention to it anyways. I bought this new in 2006, it has never been serviced and looks like new while keeping excellent time without batteries: that makes me happy.
Screenshot_20201013-112120.jpg

As my vision has deteriorated, I am considering purchasing another "high readability" wristwatch like this (I have the wall clock version in our kitchen) but dislike the idea of buying more than I need....
mondaine-a6383035014sbb-simply-elegant-mens-quartz-watch-6.jpg

jeffbook

Tag Heuer Link
TagHeuer-Link-WJ1110.BA0570-103032-2-171206-121849.jpg
I have this one too, a gift from my wife for our 30th, along with a TAG/Heuer 1000 and a Movado.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The answer to my favorite question: "Time to get a Watch"!!

My 2nd favorite answer: "Half past a monkey's ass, a quarter to his balls."

And, I usually don't wear watches as some astute soul already responded - it's not like I need to be anywhere but right here, right now.

But, I do like playing with smart watches a bit, nothing beats the looks I get when answering a call on my Samsung Active2 watch.

I picked up the "Golf Edition" via Woot before it was introduced into the US and only available in South Korea... I still enjoy wearing it, and answering the phone.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/galaxy-watch-active-2/golf/
Samsung Active 2 Golf Edition.JPG

The best part is: I only paid $199.99 :)

The 2nd best part is: I'm disabled, so I couldn't play a round of golf even with a cart, a caddy, and a case of dynamite, but it would be fun to try...

I've been looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Watch3, but so far this Golf Watch + bundled software licenses is just too entertaining. :)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer to my favorite question: "Time to get a Watch"!!

My 2nd favorite answer: "Half past a monkey's ass, a quarter to his balls."

And, I usually don't wear watches as some astute soul already responded - it's not like I need to be anywhere but right here, right now.

But, I do like playing with smart watches a bit, nothing beats the looks I get when answering a call on my Samsung Active2 watch.

I picked up the "Golf Edition" via Woot before it was introduced into the US and only available in South Korea... I still enjoy wearing it, and answering the phone.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/galaxy-watch-active-2/golf/
View attachment 87761

The best part is: I only paid $199.99 :)

The 2nd best part is: I'm disabled, so I couldn't play a round of golf even with a cart, a caddy, and a case of dynamite, but it would be fun to try...

I've been looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Watch3, but so far this Golf Watch + bundled software licenses is just too entertaining. :)
Obviously most watches in this thread are traditional very high quality watches. Some even more so being mechanical versions in a very traditional watch sense. I'd even say they are a reaction against conventional modern appliances that are throwaways.

Myself I wore a watch from the time I was 5 until I retired from full time work. They were too useful. After retirement, and to my surprise, it really didn't matter exactly what time it was very often. In a few months I no longer wore a watch.

That lasted for 5 years until I recently purchased the fitness tracker semi-smart watch I posted above. I wanted it for the fitness uses which are quite extensive. Envisioned wearing it only at times. The fitness features are advanced enough however it has some utility to wear all the time. I also found the simple smart features more useful than I expected. Seeing who is calling, or emailing or texting with a glance to my wrist rather than pulling out the phone to see was rather handy. So much so I'm wearing it 80% of the time.

These smart watches are likely never going to be like high quality legacy watches. I wore one very reliable wristwatch from Seiko for nearly half of my entire life. Everyday with nearly no exceptions and it still works as well as ever. No one is going to make a smart watch like that as things will change. Capabilities and features will expand. Protocols will change. The only common idea is that a small device on your wrist can convey useful information with a glance to your wrist. I imagine some who love the high quality watches featured in this thread will have a very poor opinion of smartwatches. But I think wearing these old world watches will become something like owning a RTR and listening to reel tapes of music.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most smartwatches are hideously ugly, useful though they may be.
Form follows function. I agree most are ugly currently. They'll work it out in time. The one I have is rather minimal, and as noted I get compliments on how unobtrusive and thin it is. It isn't pretty by any means. Mostly it is barely noticeable. So, I wouldn't expect something as new as a smartwatch will be as appealing as something that has had 150 years to work out the more appealing aspects of design.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And, that's what's funny - imagine all of those Black Forest cuckoo clock makers sitting fat and happy in the Black Forest guffawing over those "wrist time pieces" - "they'll never last", we've got almost 400 years of clock making history, how can those cheap and ugly electronic time clocks compete?

Famous last works...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_clockmakers

Here's mine, sits in a box, made a bit too much noise so after the novelty wore off...back in the box it went.

Authentic German Schonach 17in Birds & Leaves 8 Days Traditional Black Forest Cuckoo Clock - NSC3635
https://www.clockway.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=NSC8T90FF9
cuckoo clock.JPG

I think I only paid $100 for that beauty years ago... meet a guy at work from Germany that could bring one back "cheap" - direct from the Black Forest... and no, there aren't any "Made in China" stickers anywhere on it... I checked.

Now back to today, because today's time pieces sync time within fractions of a second - sntp on a watch, pretty cool right? Simple Network Time Protocol. Time served by the phone, supported by Android.

Here's the one I use on my Windows machines (Linux already has ntp tools):
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
1602683594335.png

Check your computer time here:
https://time.is/
1602680671027.png

Here's my wrist watch face for October, it's got 12 scenes I can bring up simply by double tapping the screen...

Ooops, hang on, gotta do 8 Watch App updates first... this is run from an app on my phone that connects to the Active2 watch... still going...nope - 13 apps updating...ok still going on in the background, but I can look at my apps - including my "Themes":

HalloweenSNG - $0.99
https://galaxystore.samsung.com/geardetail/com.watchface.HalloweenSNG.Darknessng
1602677757912.png

Love the Hissy Cat and the Smiling Jack O'Lanterns, so many fine choices, actually I think that's an older selection, the 2020 version has a few more new "scary background's".

Or, I can not only change the face, I can change the function to anything I'd fancy: Pilot, Diver, Chronograph, Weather, thousands of choices - most of which can be customized - including data display - but I usually keep it simple and use the stock Active2 face, it tells time, date, temperature, and steps, and I customized the color to a nice inoffensive shade of Fuchsia:
1602678295047.png

Old timey wrist watches to most people are "jewelry", targets for thieves. I've had some fine watches stolen right out of my home. Fortunately I've not been mugged, but if I wore a fancy watch - it would be a flag waving to thieves that I might also have some cash or credit cards in my wallet - along with whatever other jewelry can be seen.

No ring, no watch, no jewelry, no reason to stop me and inconvenience me with a robbery. Learn not to burn.

Most "watch guys" know all this and keep their fancy watches in nice "auto-winder" boxes - in the downstairs closet - pushed behind the bowling ball and tennis racket - next to the unloaded gun in a cardboard box that hasn't been fired in 20 years - that'll make a nice addition to some robbers attire, along with the watches.

Besides, girls don't care about watches, it's the fancy cars that kick their knickers off...and when we get divorced they can drive our cars to piss us off, but our watches are only gas money to them.

As my daddy said to me when I was very young and innocent, he said "son, if you don't want anyone to get your goat... don't keep goats".

Wise words to live by... if only I'd paid attention sooner...

The watches of today and the future are appliances serving a function, there's no need to gild the lily, their beauty comes from their function, not the intrinsic value of their constituent components.

And, my smartwatch won't end up in a box, until it's upgrade time. :cool:

Happy Halloween Everyone!!
Happy Halloween Everyone.JPG

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for checking out our post about the E Ink tattoo! EMERGE is a digital product agency and we created this post to inspire readers about what could be possible one day with wearable technology and mobile app development. We’ve heard from many of you who want to license or use the Electronic Ink technology. While many components of this solution exist today, the subdermal e-ink technology is fictional and does not exist today as far as we know. Please do not contact us to purchase or license this.

Top Bottom