• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My mate handed me one of her watches and asked if I can change the battery... I said sure and took credit for obeying to her commands, except that I did not tell her the one she wanted a fresh battery was an automatic!
This was the automatic watch:
P1100522.JPG

She also does not know that I had paid just $20 USD on wish.com for it...;)
Hint: Valentine's is coming up and you can go cheap!

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
IMG_4633.jpeg

I really can't see myself wearing anything but a "smart" watch of some kind. Even here the usefulness is barely existent so a "dumb" watch would be purely ornamental. Not knocking the hobby but just not my thing.

JRS

Major Contributor
100 dollar solar citizen. Looks nice, never need to set it. Money saved funneled to things that matter, like a new Eigentakt that keeps it's own pure time.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ebel-pc-chrono-dsqz.JPG

Wearing this for the last couple of weeks, and it’s obviously an old photo. One can’t hide when a photo was made of a properly set perpetual calendar, and that’s what this is—the Ebel Perpetual Calendar Chronograph, caliber 288, one of only a few dozen made. Assuming it is kept wound and never needed service (both false), it won’t have to reset except for daylight savings until 2100. It tracks day, date, month, and moonphase, properly accounting for month lengths and leap years. This is the grandest of the grand complication watches I own. But I’m glad I wear trifocals.

Rick “not looking forward to when this watch has to be serviced” Denney

sunao

Mine is very casual, accommodate Seiko.
I enjoy replacing it's strap occasionally, squeezing bezel in a morning, listening a sound of mechanics. Nice (^^)

I astounded my first post here becomes a watch, not audio things ...
DSC_0494.JPG

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Do you think if I bought the Omega (wrist watch) Speedmaster 57 Automatic Chronograph for a discount at $7,635, down from $15,000 that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, would say that I was too cheap to buy the Rolex Submariner "Kermit" Automatic Chronometer which is $26,500, I think, and not available at a discount. I sooooo love a discount.
I guess that does mean that I was too cheap to buy the Rolex. The damn shame of it. Oh, the shame.
I hate myself.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think if I bought the Omega (wrist watch) Speedmaster 57 Automatic Chronograph for a discount at $7,635, down from $15,000 that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, would say that I was too cheap to buy the Rolex Submariner "Kermit" Automatic Chronometer which is $26,500, I think, and not available at a discount. I sooooo love a discount.
I guess that does mean that I was too cheap to buy the Rolex. The damn shame of it. Oh, the shame.
I hate myself.
Neither one of those is discounted enough for me. I don’t own a Rolex in part because there were never any unique buying opportunities. And now they are just ridiculous.

But, yes, it means you were too cheap to buy a Rolex.

Rick “we will survive the shame…somehow” Denney

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Picked up this vintage Citizen a while ago. I'm a sucker for 80'ies Seiko and Citizen chronographs. This was Citizens answer to the Seiko 7a28/7a38 series. I believe this specific model even predates them.

1645015537059-01.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Per an article in WSJ this past week, the talk is that the "Vintage Watch Market" is very hot during our current pandemic situation. During which time, as people are stuck at home and pawning their vintage watches that are fetching some nice ROI.
Not similar to what has become of the used-car market prices but you may wish to consider your keep/sell strategy...
EDIT: This may be one of the articles of interest.

Peterinvan

Citizen Titanium Eco-drive
If you care about function over form, or you don't need a status symbol on your wrist. The band is very high quality. I use the bezel daily for timing my walk/swim/parking. Titanium is much lighter than SS. Accuracy between months when I change the date +/- 4 seconds. Only fault is the date is too small and recessed to read.

1645304002719.png

Attachments

• 1645303777456.png
    1645303777456.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 49

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just spotted this article (non-subscribers will hit a paywall if site detects that you've already checked out too many articles lately):
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/fashion/watches-luxury-sustainability-social-responsibility.html
TLDR: Gen Z is expected to account for 70% of the luxury watch market by 2025 and they want their brands to reflect values of inclusivity and the planet, and purpose over profit.

The Mondaine watch people used to offer a version of their Swiss Railroad Watch made from recycled metals, and at the time I passed on it because I didn't know what those metals would be, or how long they'd last, versus stainless steel. I don't know if that was a good assumption, but at least I still own the watch.

Top Bottom