• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Choosing a model at random, Casio says "Approx. battery life: 7 years on CR2016" and I imagine most of their simple digitals would be the same.

On a few I know they actually advertise a 10 year battery life:
https://www.casio.com/search/index/?findkeywords=10+YEAR+BATTERY&start=0

7 to 10 years is pretty good, I imagine the plastic strap will give up before that.

I have a couple watches with all metal straps, but they tend to jiggle about a bit on my wrists when I'm out running or cycling, one of them makes quite an annoying rattling noise when I'm on the bike on the far from smooth tarmac of UK roads. Something lightweight and plastic might be better and quieter.

Although thinking about it, I could just not wear a watch at all; I always have a phone with me when I'm cycling or running, so I don't really need one - if I remember to take it off before setting out - unlikely. :facepalm:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I have the opposite phone vs. watch problem. I hate bringing a phone along if I'm exercising, at least if it's too warm for a jacket -- phone always banging against my leg in the shorts or joggers pockets!
Although thinking about it, I could just not wear a watch at all; I always have a phone with me when I'm cycling or running, so I don't really need one - if I remember to take it off before setting out - unlikely. :facepalm:
I was about say "well, if you skip the watch altogether, at least you'll solve the problem of having a tan line on your wrist after you've been out exercising!"

But then I noticed you mentioned being in the UK, so perhaps not much of an issue eh? ;)

Yeah, any cheap plastic digital should do for exercising. If you want something perhaps more fun, Casio has a few metal models that are silent and utterly featherweight like the A168 and A700--

https://www.google.com/search?q=casio+a168

https://www.google.com/search?q=casio+a700

Some hate it, but many love it: the A168 is a favorite of many at any price. $17USD and I love it as much as my $500 watches. Possibly more.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's actually been quite sunny in my corner of the UK just lately, although not very warm.

I quite like the two watches you pointed out, although I wouldn't consider a watch that wasn't fully waterproof - see my previous comment about forgetting to take them off. :)

Longshan

Fossil, semi-automatic.
Sorry about the stupid picture.
11336898_10207045483718143_5456370974408504166_o.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Super underrated Casio. 90% of a G-Shock for a fraction of the price!
I find a digital display counter intuitive and slow to register so I never voluntarily use one for time. They are best for super precision steady state measurements not a quick look to see if i am risking getting late :)

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Fossil, semi-automatic.
That looks nice! Love the bracelet too -- a jubilee style bracelet is always a winner in my book.

I certainly hope Fossil watches are more reliable than they used to be. I bought a trio of Fossil quartz watches back around 2010. Within a year or two the movements had all failed despite never wearing them for anything besides "desk duty." The fine folks at the Fossil store didn't seem particularly surprised.

That is quite a feat for a trio of quartz watches.

It's almost impossible to build an unreliable watch. There are only a handful of watch movement makers in the world. They are all good at it. When a company like Fossil decides to get into the watch game, they simply put movements from one of those companies into a case... and in reality they are surely outsourcing that as well. There's not really a lot to get right or wrong, aside from aesthetics.

(Note: nothing wrong with outsourcing movements. This is standard practice. It's like Dell putting an Intel or AMD chip into their laptops. In fact, it'd be insane for Dell build their own CPUs. It's that kind of thing.)

So I have no idea how they managed to sell me three watches that seemed to just kind of self destruct on their own. Based on my hobbyist's knowledge of the industry... I'm really not sure how that was possible.

Last edited:

Longshan

That looks nice! Love the bracelet too -- a jubilee style bracelet is always a winner in my book.

I certainly hope Fossil watches are more reliable than they used to be. I bought a trio of Fossil quartz watches back around 2010. Within a year or two the movements had all failed despite never wearing them for anything besides "desk duty." The fine folks at the Fossil store didn't seem particularly surprised.

That is quite a feat for a trio of quartz watches.

It's almost impossible to build an unreliable watch. There are only a handful of watch movement makers in the world. They are all good at it. When a company like Fossil decides to get into the watch game, they simply put movements from one of those companies into a case... and in reality they are surely outsourcing that as well. There's not really a lot to get right or wrong, aside from aesthetics.

(Note: nothing wrong with outsourcing movements. This is standard practice. It's like Dell putting an Intel or AMD chip into their laptops. In fact, it'd be insane for Dell build their own CPUs. It's that kind of thing.)

So I have no idea how they managed to sell me three watches that seemed to just kind of self destruct on their own. Based on my hobbyist's knowledge of the industry... I'm really not sure how that was possible.

Yeah, I've owned 3 or four Fossil watches over the years. I also have a couple of smart watches, but I buy the Fossils purely cuz they're pretty. None of them have kept very good time though.

dougi

Sinn 158 limited edition. The Australian distributor still has a few if it takes your fancy.

sinn158_2.jpg

Vict0r

Obris Morgan Explorer V1

f8f219f7f7e4e4329e8b7e51843a5d03.jpg

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
It's amazing how diver-style watches are so ageless.

They looked cool 50 years ago. I think it's a very safe bet they'll look great in another 50.

One of those things that just never goes out of style.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Obris Morgan Explorer V1
I bought one of these back when they came out. Have sold it long since, but I still like it. This is such a simple watch. It's like they took an engineering student out of uni and said, hey design us a watch - in the best sense.

So many watches I like

I don't recall anyone showing Hublot ?

View attachment 124458
All that money and they can't make the screw heads align?

e: Just realized how impossible/complicated that would be. Still I would prefer "fake" screw heads like AP does so it looks nice.

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I didn't wear them both at once in this picture like a crazy person true badass, but I've been wearing the Seiko SARB035 (the white one) a lot lately.

The SARB series has something of a cult following. The kind of watch that almost seems boring if you're not into watches... but they are watches that nail every little detail including some fantastic casework that I haven't properly captured in the photo.

Seiko has been around longer than Rolex and has a fantastic history if you're into that sort of thing. Watches that compete with the Swiss by any measure.

And, since they sell high quality rock solid mechanical movements to other makers, they have also enabled the microbrand movement. If you're looking at a < $1K watch from a microbrand there's a very good chance it's powered by a Seiko NH35/36. Very egalitarian of them.

IMG_7691 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Vict0r

I bought one of these back when they came out. Have sold it long since, but I still like it. This is such a simple watch. It's like they took an engineering student out of uni and said, hey design us a watch - in the best sense.

I'll never sell mine! It's my favourite Obris Morgan release. It's such a clean, transparent and functional design. You can see they had fun with it, though. The crown is pretty cheeky with its sandblasted engraving, the bracelet is an Engineer-style, but because it's not as thick as regular Engineers it gives off this vintage Jubilee vibe from a distance, and the hands are larger than you regularly see on dive watches with these dimensions. The ceramic bezel has a slightly darker hue than the matte, desaturated blue of the dial. The whole watch looks Spartan and tool-like at first glance, but the little flourishes give it some more character.

obris-morgan-explorer-4k.jpg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's amazing how diver-style watches are so ageless.

They looked cool 50 years ago. I think it's a very safe bet they'll look great in another 50.

One of those things that just never goes out of style.

When Malubier of the French Navy wrote his spec for a dive watch that included all the basic features we see in a diver (water resistance, movable timing bezel, lume, etc.), his timing was good. Blancpain and Zodiac were the first to respond with the Fifty Fathoms and the Sea Wolf, respectively, and Rolex followed a year later with the Submariner. 1953 was the right time—people were becoming less formal and a “sport” watch on a steel bracelet became a popular casual style. Television, particularly Jacques Cousteau, popularized diving, and he wore all of those first three at various times.

Then, Vietnam happened, and American soldiers bought watches at discounted military exchange prices. Divers survived better, and the Zodiac Sea Wolf was a popular choice because it was half the price of Rolex.

All that cemented the diver into American culture. All action characters from James Bond to Thomas Magnum (the first one) wore them, and everyone wanted to look like they spent Sunday afternoons battling marlin off the Florida coast from the deck of their Chris Craft.

As long as that mythos remains appealing, so will divers.

This Ebel Sportwave Aquatica 500 is a favorite in my collection, and a limited edition of a hundred with the 500-meter depth rating. I also have a vintage Sea Wolf. (I have others, too, but this is enough for now.)

aquatica_nikonos.jpg

Here’s the vintage Sea Wolf, from the early 60’s:

IMG_4572-dsqz.JPG

But for looking tough, my US Government official issue Marathon GSAR is the ticket:

2B3FD43F-87F3-4DAB-A34A-D466A8CCF2E8.JPEG

Rick “no, the Marathon was not issued to me by the government” Denney

Top Bottom