• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Well I don't like unnecessarily large watches and have found the fashion for watches bigger in diameter and thickness than they need to be to disappointing.
Have you seen the latest mobile phones?! :p

1616771807535.png

nick-v

Speaking of these atomic watches, has anyone noticed that the WWV time broadcast is harder to pick up? I can't hear it on my SW radio at 5, 10 or 15 MHz anymore (I used to be able to hear it). And my Citizen H804, which I've owned for about 7 years, hasn't picked it up in the past year or so.
My Citizen Skyhawk picks up the signal every day (even from inside my watch display case). The Casio seems to have a harder time picking it up from inside the display case. Once in a while I need to point it out a West facing window and do a manual calibration if it hasn't picked up the signal in a while.

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and it's picking up the signal from somewhere near Fort Collins, Colorado.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Thanks for the info. Good to hear the signal is still broadcast. Why I can't pick it up anymore on SW radio or on my watch remains a mystery.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the size of the wrist.
I have a friend who sees it that way and wouldn't wear a smaller watch. I have one (used to be my daily wearer until I started wearing a fitness tracker) which is the same size as your UN, but so is the movement. I also have a 1930s Harwood which is tiny, and the Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso in the "normal" (to me) size which is also small but I don't find them odd on my wrist, my friend simply would not wear them.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Depends on the size of the wrist. ... Rick "big hands, big feet" Denney
Big hands doesn't necessarily mean fat wrists. With big hands and small wrists, I prefer smaller watches (36-40mm) and find that some bracelets that fit my wrist aren't big enough to get around my hands. That is, they don't have enough "let-off" or difference between "open" and "closed" to get past my hands.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have nothing against smaller watches and will wear them down to about 34mm with no reluctance. Most pictures on the internet are made from close up, and perspective makes the watch look bigger. Here’s a 48mm Concord C1 from a greater distance. (The subject—me—is about 75 pounds lighter now than in the pic, but the wrist does not shrink in proportion to the middle.)

IMG_2647.JPG

Up close, it looks bigger:

file-618B372D-DB60-4C3C-AC05-EEBDC29B7500-576-00000068B7215F57.JPG

But I wear this 35mm Ebel without thinking it too small:

wrist.jpg

And I wear this ca. 1946 Jaeger-LeCoultre, which was a “jumbo” watch in those days, at 36mm:

file-7B3E251F-0549-4605-AF6C-A1AF8FC37BBB-576-00000068BE09FA42.JPG

But this mid-60’s Universal Genève that I bought as new old stock from an elderly jewelry store owner is a little too dainty for me, at 22mm wide:

IMG_6049.JPG

Rick “who has...a few...watches in his collection” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big hands doesn't necessarily mean fat wrists. With big hands and small wrists, I prefer smaller watches (36-40mm) and find that some bracelets that fit my wrist aren't big enough to get around my hands. That is, they don't have enough "let-off" or difference between "open" and "closed" to get past my hands.

Sure. But my wrists measure19-20 CM depending on weight.

Rick “big-boned” Denney

Pretorious

Just got this Seiko, my first automatic. Put a new strap on it, too. I've been wearing an Apple Watch since release, and haven't worn a traditional watch since high school. Ironically, wearing an Apple Watch rekindled my interest in traditional watches and horology.

IMG_4250.jpg

Foxenfurter

I bought this rather tasty Gekota watch a couple of years ago. Based on a Seiko Automatic movement, very sane pricing.
20210326_211146 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of these atomic watches, has anyone noticed that the WWV time broadcast is harder to pick up? I can't hear it on my SW radio at 5, 10 or 15 MHz anymore (I used to be able to hear it). And my Citizen H804, which I've owned for about 7 years, hasn't picked it up in the past year or so.
I don't know if it has changed. I've got two clocks that use it. One still does fine, the other has to be taken outdoors for a few minutes to get the signal. I did this when we switched to DST recently. Up until 4 years ago both got the signal fine indoors. I just figured the one clock had aged and wasn't working well.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most radio-synchronized clocks these days listen to WWVB, which is a narrowband digital-mode broadcast on 60 KHz long-wave. If you can receive it reliably (and I struggle to here in Virginia), it’s much easier to decode.

WWV regular AM broadcasts are on the usual 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz. But we’ve been in a low part of the 11-year sunspot cycle for the past half decade, and HF propagation is limited. But only older radio-synchronized products use those broadcasts.

I have a Marathon wall clock that has never synced properly yet. :mad:

Rick “need to make an antenna for it, but a 60 KHz antenna ain’t that easy” Denney

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most radio-synchronized clocks these days listen to WWVB, which is a narrowband digital-mode broadcast on 60 KHz long-wave. If you can receive it reliably (and I struggle to here in Virginia), it’s much easier to decode.

WWV regular AM broadcasts are on the usual 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz. But we’ve been in a low part of the 11-year sunspot cycle for the past half decade, and HF propagation is limited. But only older radio-synchronized products use those broadcasts.

I have a Marathon wall clock that has never synced properly yet. :mad:

Rick “need to make an antenna for it, but a 60 KHz antenna ain’t that easy” Denney
Around 4000 ft should give you a nice quarter wave antenna for that.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of people don't bother with a watch just using their smart phone instead. For me it's more convenient to just look a my wrist for the time. To be sure, there are also smart watches these day but they are superfluous to me needs which are time and date.

There are some beautiful and expensive watches here but mine is simple and cheap and off-brand: bought on Amazon.ca. Since my eyesight isn't great I like large displays for both time and date; this watch also has a nice night display.

MyWatch.jpg

Reactions: EJ3

Pretorious

Does anyone wear Apple Watch here? I just wanna buy, but confused which model is best...

Even though I posted the above, I do still have my Series 3, and have worn an Apple Watch everyday since its release in 2015.
  • If you just want the best model, no questions asked, it's the latest Series 6.
  • If you want most of the features of the Series 6 (minus some of the biometrics) but at a cheaper price, it's the SE.
  • I would not consider the Series 3 that they still have on sale at this point. Outdated in all regards, slower than the other models, and issues with limited storage.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice with some historical backrgound too ...

That’s what makes them interesting to me.

Rick “even harder to justify prices than with audio, but with stories just as good” Denney

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
YEMA
My first purchased watch thanks to summer job and 31 Atm proof.
It's a bit cosmetically damaged.
Regretfully, I should have put some neoprene protection while diving.
Not even sure this French brand still exists ?

1617363869797.jpeg

Top Bottom