• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As long as that mythos remains appealing, so will divers.
Well said.

I might even suggest divers may have even taken a step beyond that. I think they now exist on a plane with things such as blue jeans that are simply cool because they are cool, for reasons totally divorced from their origins.

Regardless, I certainly love the history of dive watches!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well said.

I might even suggest divers may have even taken a step beyond that. I think they now exist on a plane with things such as blue jeans that are simply cool because they are cool, for reasons totally divorced from their origins.

Regardless, I certainly love the history of dive watches!
The mythos lives on but nobody except we few enthusiasts on the topic know why. But it's more than just being a popular style--there is something emotional happening with divers, same as with motorcycle jackets (or Cooper A2 flight jackets, of which I have one despite having never flown an airplane myself), off-road-capable vehicles that never leave pavement, vacuum-tube amplifiers, and vinyl LPs.

Rick "admitting the silliness of some old gray-haired guy wearing a Cooper A2, jeans, and a gigantic dive watch" Denney

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Naaa
I think that this one was the original model the Seiko C153 launched in 1976

1619037070924.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which reminds me ... PULSAR LED

This is not their first model, but the prettiest IMHO at that time the P3 in 1973

1619037625047.png

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
The mythos lives on but nobody except we few enthusiasts on the topic know why. But it's more than just being a popular style--there is something emotional happening with divers, same as with motorcycle jackets (or Cooper A2 flight jackets, of which I have one despite having never flown an airplane myself), off-road-capable vehicles that never leave pavement, vacuum-tube amplifiers, and vinyl LPs.
I love this topic. A cynic would say that it's all empty signaling; that we like to falsely suggest to others or delude ourselves into thinking that we might be actually ready to fly an airplane or dive 200M or 300M underwater at the slightest notice.

But, I would take a rosier view. It's just fun to wear/use things that are overbuilt for their actual use. There's a certain piece of mind there. And when it comes to wearables.... I think looking and feeling good can help us to be slightly better versions of ourselves. I know that watches helped me through the pandemic to an extent. Got dressed (including a rotating cast of watches, many bought during the pandemic) every day so I could feel "human" despite being stuck in the damn house.

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Which reminds me ... PULSAR LED

This is not their first model, but the prettiest IMHO at that time the P3 in 1973
I love it! LED watches are so much fun. Impractical, but that glowing display is just so cool looking to me. I received one from my dad a while back -- I was fascinated by it as a kid, so he eventually handed it down to me. This one is a Sears-branded model but was presumably manufactured by Pulsar.

sears_pulsar.jpg

The funny thing about mine is that when the display is off (so, 99.99% of the time) I think people probably just assume it's a modern smartwatch with a rather small screen.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming back to classics

famous Reverso but here a bit special, "Duoface" Jaeger-LeCoultre

View attachment 126027

Always on my list (for the steel version) but rarely a unique buying opportunity. I’ll have to wait for lottery winnings.

Rick “also the old JLC Master Hometime” Denney

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Santos predated the Tank.

front.jpg

Rick “though mine is twice the size of the original requested in 1904 and worn by Alberto Santos-Dumont” Denney

I know it's thanks to Santo Dumont's requirements and request.

But it's a question of personal taste and i like the Tank better.

Moreover, some people here like @digitalfrost may complain about the Santos's screw (miss) alignment again :p

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-do-yall-have-on-your-wrists.6702/post-754166

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming back to classics

famous Reverso but here a bit special, "Duoface" Jaeger-LeCoultre

View attachment 126027
I have a steel one of these and wore it all the time when I was travelling, I would have the time at the race track on one side and home on the other.
I love the watch, though it is unfashionably small these days (though it does look like sense is beginning to prevail and fewer hockey puck sized watches are being pushed at us)!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They had a larger model I preferred—the Grande Reverso Duoface. I looked at it at the JLC boutique in Geneva. Price was twice what I could have possibly considered.

I have a large wrist and large hands—the bigger watches don’t look puckish on me.

Rick “who’s only JLC is a 75-year-old gold watch possibly owned by a returning WWII vet” Denney

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They had a larger model I preferred—the Grande Reverso Duoface.
The "Grand-Reverso" had not been produced yet when i bought mine but I still prefer the conventional (for a Reverso) size. My hands and wrists are quite big but I still hate to see a watch case bigger than it needs to be simply for styling - I don't really care about what is in fashion in the way i did 50 years ago.

Ingenieur

Mickey
Doing online CEU class, started at 7 AM
please end now!

Attachments

• 022C671D-B6B0-4A3D-A58B-DB0E1743F0FF.jpeg
    022C671D-B6B0-4A3D-A58B-DB0E1743F0FF.jpeg
    653.4 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom