• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vista Audio Spark II Review (Amplifer)

cml21

...I flaked out on that order...I need to do more research...methinks I am going to stick to stuff that Randy likes and amirm has tested...

...those two should collaborate...
Makes sense. Seems like there is a portion of this board that looks for a thumbs up from Amir and Zero or Steve or <insert your fave youtuber>. You mentioned the Vidar in your previous post... it's been a year or two, but I think Amir liked that - and it was pretty popular with the subjective reviewers too - might be worth another look. Best of luck with whatever your choose!

Hapo

Who is Randy? Why does it matter what he promotes?

...cheapaudioman...I appreciate his unabashedly biased opinions...

...do you think this in a case of poor implantation or a poor design...???...I got put off by some strange parameters and wanted to do more research and found this...

Last edited:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That guy Stereopolice knows at least about electronics.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...cheapaudioman...I appreciate his unabashedly biased opinions...

...do you think this in a case of poor implantation or a poor design...???...I got put off by some strange parameters and wanted to do more research and found this...

Lots of opinions out there that are well worth ignoring let alone watching their youtube videos....unabashed or not.

Califmike33

Does anybody here know how to tell the difference between version 1 of the spark and version 2? Are there any identifying marks on version 2?

cml21

Does anybody here know how to tell the difference between version 1 of the spark and version 2? Are there any identifying marks on version 2?
I'm not 100% on this (I only have a v2) but the v2 has this piece of ?plastic? between the body of the amp and the face plate / user controls. When powered on, a light comes on that illuminates a "Spark" on the bottom right of the face plate, as well as the markers around the volume knob. Also, it lights the boundary a little between the body of the amp and the face plate. I *think* the v1 doesn't have this plastic or light at all - just from looking at pictures of the v1 on the internet. Also, my v2 has an all black metal volume knob, and it look like the v1s might have a different style, that includes a (useful) white indicator of where the ?plastic? knob is set. I see no other markings - at least on this v2 - to indicate a model number. My serial number does start with a "2" but that may be a coincidence.

Califmike33

Thanks for the information. I dont care what the measurements say this amp kicks ass for and sounds amazing.

Samib

Same here. It sounds glorious with my Wharfedales

I tried a tube amp with same speakers but it wasn’t a great pairing. Same tube amp sounds wonderful on jbl 590

It takes some experimenting to find matching speakers but don’t discount the Spark based on measurements

Ryan200

Im listening to the original Vista Spark with Zu DW2's right now. A person would have to be dead inside not to hear how good this amp is with their measurement ears.

Too bad a measurement for sweetness hasnt been standardized by some society of engineers. Meanwhile I appreciate this site's function as a foil.

I hope at least one person who has written this amp off because of the graphs will hear it irl and cast off the horse blinders

Ryan200

Seems the trolls have ventured out from under their rocks.
Just a caution, dont feed them. Please.
Did you read Kagemusha's feedback on the first page of the thread? He said it sounded nice and his friends thought it sounded really nice but that must mean they're all deaf because it measured bad.

Now think really hard. Is it possible that some of the measurements done by the OP don't 100% correlate with how good it sounds in real world use?

Perhaps we have to tolerate some ambiguity in defining what is "best" when doing something as subjective at enjoying music?

Finally Muslhead I'll perform a magic trick. I know for a fact that you haven't heard this amplifier. How could I know that? Because if you did you'd like it

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you read Kagemusha's feedback on the first page of the thread? He said it sounded nice and his friends thought it sounded really nice but that must mean they're all deaf because it measured bad.

Now think really hard. Is it possible that some of the measurements done by the OP don't 100% correlate with how good it sounds in real world use?

Perhaps we have to tolerate some ambiguity in defining what is "best" when doing something as subjective at enjoying music?

Finally Muslhead I'll perform a magic trick. I know for a fact that you haven't heard this amplifier. How could I know that? Because if you did you'd like it
Could you try one more magic trick for me?
Disappear

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He said it sounded nice and his friends thought it sounded really nice but that must mean they're all deaf because it measured bad.
No, that could just mean that they're all biased...
A person would have to be dead inside not to hear how good this amp is with their measurement ears.
Classic meaningless subjectivist gimmick. Anybody could have say the exact same statement about ANY audio product, it doesn't make it true. As some could say the other way around, that you have to be dead inside for enjoying it. Completely irrelevant. Funny thing is that I could also claim that Zu speakers suck (that is for a fact, indeed), and then that you must be deaf. Still makes no sense in the discussion...

Too bad a measurement for sweetness hasnt been standardized
It already exists. You just have no clue about how to interpret it.
Oh, I think really hard, and no. Amplification is not rocket science, we already discovered everything about it (the way of measuring). The standards for amps measurements are known for decades. The same way we know how to measure a car engine. There's no place for some "maybe, we are missing something that some random user will discover". There still is some room for innovation, tho... Better efficiency, DF, lower Noise and THD, lower cost and better reliability, etc. These, we'll always be able to measure. As the designers will (They just cannot properly design an amplifier if not being able to measure it). Anyway, if an innovation comes at some point, it certainly won't be from such an amateurish "company".

Jimster480

Major Contributor

Sorry but it doesn't work like that. It depends on exactly how clear your audio is and what kind of dynamic range the tracks are that you listen to. The other thing that matters is the Distortion level of your headphones. If you have headphones which don't perform that well or you listen to music recorded 100 years ago on poor systems with very high levels of distortion then you won't notice the difference. However for a person like myself who listens to plenty of more modern tracks in general especially classical and jazz recorded on some of the finest Hardware in the recent years it becomes very obvious to me when I listen to something with such poor numbers.

So your subjective view on this amp means that; you don't have experience with higher performing products or your music/headphones are too poor quality to take advantage of higher performing products.

I bought a brand new Spark 2 amp for $339 on closeout from Audiogon last week and installed it in my desktop setup. I was concerned after seeing the less than stellar review and negative posts from non-owners, but I am pleased to report that I am keeping the Spark 2 after hours of A/B listening with my existing Emotiva desktop amp. The Spark 2 will be replacing my lovable $230 Emotiva BasX A-100 that I've been using for the last few years. For $100 more, I am getting a fuller, more layered, 3-dimensional, spatial sound with more depth. It sounds more tube like than the desktop amps I've tried (e.g. Aiyima, Fosi). To me, the Spark 2's sound sits somewhere between my Reisong A12 tube amplifier and the Emotiva amp. It does not sound as crisp and defined as my Emotiva, but it also does not sound as thin/lean. The Spark 2 has a thicker sound with more body that I can listen to for longer. Power and volume wise, I am hitting the same SPL levels with the Spark powering my 86dB Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelf speakers.

In regard to trade offs, the Spark 2 is missing auto on/off. That feature worked flawlessly on my Emotiva. The Emotiva also has RCA outputs that I used to connect my SVS subwoofer. The Spark 2 has no outputs to connect a subwoofer. Not a major issue since I am able to connect my subwoofer using the RCA outs on my MOTU M2 DAC. Besides those minor cons, for $100 more, it's a welcome upgrade in my chain and takes up less desk real estate. My conclusion is that in some cases, the ears tell a different story than numbers alone.

Attachments

• IMG_7820.jpg
    IMG_7820.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a brand new Spark 2 amp for $339 on closeout from Audiogon last week and installed it in my desktop setup. I was concerned after seeing the less than stellar review and negative posts from non-owners, but I am pleased to report that I am keeping the Spark 2 after hours of A/B listening with my existing Emotiva desktop amp. The Spark 2 will be replacing my lovable $230 Emotiva BasX A-100 that I've been using for the last few years. For $100 more, I am getting a fuller, more layered, 3-dimensional, spatial sound with more depth. It sounds more tube like than the desktop amps I've tried (e.g. Aiyima, Fosi). To me, the Spark 2's sound sits somewhere between my Reisong A12 tube amplifier and the Emotiva amp. It does not sound as crisp and defined as my Emotiva, but it also does not sound as thin/lean. The Spark 2 has a thicker sound with more body that I can listen to for longer. Power and volume wise, I am hitting the same SPL levels with the Spark powering my 86dB Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelf speakers.

In regard to trade offs, the Spark 2 is missing auto on/off. That feature worked flawlessly on my Emotiva. The Emotiva also has RCA outputs that I used to connect my SVS subwoofer. The Spark 2 has no outputs to connect a subwoofer. Not a major issue since I am able to connect my subwoofer using the RCA outs on my MOTU M2 DAC. Besides those minor cons, for $100 more, it's a welcome upgrade in my chain and takes up less desk real estate. My conclusion is that in some cases, the ears tell a different story than numbers alone.

Hard to imagine all those attributes based on a change of amp outside of level/sighted differences. I'm not an amp "listener" tho. Do either of these have any particular bass management?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My conclusion is that in some cases, the ears tell a different story than numbers alone.
The consensus conclusion at ASR is probably that your brain, eyes and ears tell a very different story than your ears alone would in a blind test.

Still, to create so many audio experience endorphins for a mere $339 is impressive. Its what we all seek.

Top Bottom