• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

User tracking ad platform now baked into Chrome browser

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call me paranoid, but I've always assumed that big tech companies like Google:

Are smarter than I am.
Do not reveal their more uncannily effective algorithms to the public, and maybe not to rank-and-file staff either.
Are (mostly) able to comply with the terms of their privacy policies, yet still assemble a pretty good snapshot of me, including details I never explicitly provided.
Are happiest when the public thinks "Why should I care? I'm not doing anything special".

We don't know the extent of what they've been able to capture directly, what they've managed to aggregate from a variety of different sources, and what they've successfully inferred using algorithms including AI. But they've amassed a vast amount of wealth by providing seemingly free services.

I figure that my options for privacy are limited (I use services by Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and yes, Google). But I can make them work for their money by say, not using a Facebook user ID to log into another site, using older fashioned methods of payment (biometric scanners for payment - thanks but no thanks), providing only the bare minimum of information as required for using a service. And choosing one's email provider with some care, because that is likely to be one common element which can be used to link data across multiple services.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As luck would have it, I've been reading a pair of books which turn out to have quite a bit in common, and it's stunning how subtle the art of persuasion can be (Barden), and the degree to which much can be inferred from seemingly innocuous, even incredibly brief, bits of user data (Gladwell).

Decoded: The Science Behind What We Buy, by Phil Barden

Blink: The Power of Thinking WIthout Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell

And perhaps I'll see if I can learn a thing or two about the "Father of Public Relations/Propaganda", Edward Bernays.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Easy. It takes them 2 weeks to do secury patches. That's your window for problems. Chrome has its issue but security wise it is better than average.

luckily I am no target for professional hackers lol.
But I never heard of this. Devs are slow to respond? Do you have a link?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
As luck would have it, I've been reading a pair of books which turn out to have quite a bit in common, and it's stunning how subtle the art of persuasion can be (Barden), and the degree to which much can be inferred from seemingly innocuous, even incredibly brief, bits of user data (Gladwell).

Decoded: The Science Behind What We Buy, by Phil Barden

Blink: The Power of Thinking WIthout Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell

And perhaps I'll see if I can learn a thing or two about the "Father of Public Relations/Propaganda", Edward Bernays.

In my somewhat rare opinion marketing destroyed a somewhat working system. who does really benefit from marketing? only a handful of CEOs. we as a costumor are paying for something which productive value is zero! AND destroys competition!!!! competition is not about quality anymore....it's about who has more money for marketing

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They must be tracking me. But luckily (?) the AI in charge of showing me ads has no idea what I'll actually buy. I have seen a lot of bizarre stuff I never knew existed.

JLGF1

I'm not sure how useful it is, but Vivaldi/Chromium can show you the tracker stats by site. At least you know they're aware of them. :)

Vivaldi tracker stats.jpg

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently using Vivaldi for work, and it seems to be the most inconvenient browser among all I've tried. And I'm not sure if it doesn't track my actions, just like all the others.
I just started trying Vivaldi just a few days ago. At first it seems not convenient, but I'm going to use it a bit more to see I consider it worthwhile for other benefits. It is supposed to be pretty good in terms of blocking tracking and ads.

JLGF1

I'm currently using Vivaldi for work, and it seems to be the most inconvenient browser among all I've tried. And I'm not sure if it doesn't track my actions, just like all the others.

What do you find inconvenient about this browser?

I've tried: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave, Maxthon and some I've probably forgotten.

Vivalidi is just as functional, if not more so, than any of the above, imo. But, everyone has their personal UI preferences; some more specific than others.

As far as Vivalidi tracking...

Vivaldi stats.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor
What do you find inconvenient about this browser?

I've tried: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave, Maxthon and some I've probably forgotten.

Vivalidi is just as functional, if not more so, than any of the above, imo. But, everyone has their personal UI preferences; some more specific than others.

As far as Vivalidi tracking...

View attachment 314900

1697297084400.png

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would anybody rationally buy an I-Phone?
Because my boss would send texts I never got. Also because when my wife got an Android it made no damn sense. Yes I could have figured it all out but life's too short...as for the boss I'm pretty sure now he had put in my cell number as an iPhone and therefore it would send iMessages which I never got on my whatever brand I had at the time. Plus with the iPhone I can send/read texts from my MacBook Airs and iMac. I do realize Steve Jobs is reading all my stuff in his next plane of existence but c'est la vie. Are they crazy expensive? Hell yes...are Android any cheaper?

In Brasil maybe you have more alternatives but in the US it's really pretty much Android or iOS or stuff with negligible market share.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back to the browsers, are there any that can really block ALL
- Popups
- Auto-playing sh!t, like videos I see coming up (muted thank god, is there some new legislation about this?)
- Video ads down the side looping and making my CPU go nuts

One of my problems is work stuff they only bother testing supposedly on Chrome. Then when it doesn't work anyway they say "Did you try Firefox?" :)mad::rolleyes: no wonder there are so many guns in America...)

Chrome I will say I totally HATE how difficult it is to clear specific cookies in their menu. On purpose surely...though now you can click a little thing next to the URL so that's handy.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spend a lot of time here and wonder what they are learning over at Google from ASR. I use fire Firefox and turned off as much as I could on Windows after reading a few guides on CNET and others.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They must be tracking me. But luckily (?) the AI in charge of showing me ads has no idea what I'll actually buy. I have seen a lot of bizarre stuff I never knew existed.
I own bizarre stuff I never knew existed.
Most of it I found at the dump, though, so it could be worse.

:cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own bizarre stuff I never knew existed.
Most of it I found at the dump, though, so it could be worse.

:cool:
You're just giving it a new lease on life!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I just ran afoul of Chrome's insidious new ad platform.
Just for grins* I opened MS Edge.
It, of course, asked me if I wanted to change Edge to my default browser. Umm... no... just... browsing, Microsoft.
But here's the funny part: Edge then nonchalantly opened up (most of) the tabs I'd had open in Chrome moments before.
Mind you, I don't use Edge (except extremely occasionally if I am having trouble with a website in Chrome)... but Windows was apparently keeping tabs (heh) on what I was up to.

I told Mrs. H of this and said to her "The war is clearly on" (i.e., 'twixt Alphabet/google and MS). I am most amused.
Time to find a more discrete browser, methinks!

To its/their credit: MS Edge didn't pester me with ads on sites that now are, thanks to Chrome (even with AdBlock Plus).

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ran afoul of Chrome's insidious new ad platform.
Just for grins* I opened MS Edge.
It, of course, asked me if I wanted to change Edge to my default browser. Umm... no... just... browsing, Microsoft.
But here's the funny part: Edge then nonchalantly opened up (most of) the tabs I'd had open in Chrome moments before.
Mind you, I don't use Edge (except extremely occasionally if I am having trouble with a website in Chrome)... but Windows was apparently keeping tabs (heh) on what I was up to.

I told Mrs. H of this and said to her "The war is clearly on" (i.e., 'twixt Alphabet/google and MS). I am most amused.
Time to find a more discrete browser, methinks!

To its/their credit: MS Edge didn't pester me with ads on sites that now are, thanks to Chrome (even with AdBlock Plus).
Saw an article in the last couple days about this. Edge is keeping tabs on your Chrome use and phoning the mother ship so to speak.

In settings import browser data at launch is on by default. You can turn it off.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom