• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Useful Youtube Keyboard Shortcuts

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought I share a few keyboard shortcuts I use when watching youtube content, especially long format ones like mine.

Hitting the right arrow key jumps 5 seconds forward. You can hit it multiple times in quick succession to jump ahead very quickly. Nice for jumping over sponsorship messages, begging for likes, etc.
Hitting left arrow key jumps 5 seconds back. So if you got distracted, or jumped too fast using above, you can revert back.

Hitting the greater than sign (>), will jump to the next speed setting. First it will go to 1.25X, then hitting again to 1.5X, then 1.75 and eventually 2.0X.
Hitting the less than sign (<), will do the reverse of above, even slowing down the video below 1.X.

Hitting the F key will make the video go full screen. Hitting it again will go out of full screen.

Hitting space bar will start or stop the video. Same thing happens if you click with mouse button.

Important note: if you are watching an embedded video say, in the forum, you must first click in the video region. Otherwise the keyboard shortcuts will not work. Kind of annoying at first as clicking will stop the video. Just click again and it will continue playing.

It is not hard to memorize these as they are well selected. Doing so will hugely increase your throughput in watching youtube content.

Also keep in mind that if you adjust the volume slider and then hit an arrow key it will think that you want to keep adjusting the volume slider with the arrow keys, so you have to click the video to keep using your arrow keys to keep jumping 5 seconds .

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
sheeeeit! I knew those but didn't know "F" for full screen and back, thanks!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Keyboard shortcutFunction
SpacebarPlay/Pause when the seek bar is selected. Activate a button if a button has focus.
Play/Pause Media Key on keyboardsPlay / Pause.
kPause/Play in player.
mMute/unmute the video.
Stop Media Key on keyboardsStop.
Next Track Media Key on keyboardsMoves to the next track in a playlist.
Left/Right arrow on the seek barSeek backward/forward 5 seconds.
jSeek backward 10 seconds in player.
lSeek forward 10 seconds in player.
.While the video is paused, skip to the next frame.
,While the video is paused, go back to the previous frame.
>Speed up the video playback rate.
<Slow down the video playback rate.
Home/End on the seek barSeek to the beginning/last seconds of the video.
Up/Down arrow on the seek barIncrease/Decrease volume 5%.
Numbers 1 to 9Seek to the 10% to 90% of the video.
Number 0Seek to the beginning of the video.
/Go to search box.
fActivate full screen. If full screen mode is enabled, activate F again or press escape to exit full screen mode.
cActivate closed captions and subtitles if available. To hide captions and subtitles, activate C again.
Shift+NMove to the next video (If you're using a playlist, will go to the next video of the playlist. If not using a playlist, it will move to the next YouTube suggested video).
Shift+PMove to the previous video. Note that this shortcut only works when you're using a playlist.
iOpen the Miniplayer.

from official documentation

benanders

FY’allI: none of these instructions apply on a smart touch-screen.

Wish I could give a double-like to the plug for speaker measurements vid. ;)

Stargazer

Recently I've noticed if you hold the left mouse button down while hovering over the video, it will start playing at 2x speed.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use my computer keyboard usually for youtube, but similar effects can be had with something like the Amazon Fire Stick remote....

Top Bottom