• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

HairyEars

Sorry, but no. The oscillator stabilizes practically immediately. The sole purpose of an oscillator is to be constant and precise. If it really needed to "warm up" first, any PC, smartphone or other equipment containing microprocessors would be rendered useless.

The owner fo Mutech would beg to differ. It takes days for an oscillator to stabilize, according to him The owner of CyberShaft fully agrees.
I guess they both don't know what they're talking about. But you, on the other hand, have had years of testing and inspecting oscillators.

HairyEars

Sorry all, but I don’t have the time to spend here.
However, if I've made one member consider testing the ER, I’m happy enough

Enjoy whatever give you kicks.

Peace

D

Deleted member 65

You didn't make any specific point, just that you ought to be skeptical. Accepted.

All connected equipment passes along crap with the signal. Call it hum, buzz, phase noise, voltage noise, whatever.
When one streams over AriPlay very little data gets buffered. It's a continuous process.

Streaming services sends over meta data followed by the pertaining bits. Timing information, and therefor jitter, has no part in it. The renderer (or what most people call streamer) turns it into a playable format (e.g., SPDIF). Here, the timing is slapped on and the pollution carried over from the switch plays a part.

Seems I need to reassess the knowledge I’ve acquired during my +30 years working in in the IT Networking industry. So much to learn ... ;-)

jasonk

The owner fo Mutech would beg to differ. It takes days for an oscillator to stabilize, according to him The owner of CyberShaft fully agrees.
I guess they both don't know what they're talking about. But you, on the other hand, have had years of testing and inspecting oscillators.

oscillator stabilization is measured in milliseconds, sometimes microseconds. Are those two guys you mention trying to sell 'special' equipment by any chance ? :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
oscillator stabilization is measured in milliseconds, sometimes microseconds. Are those two guys you mention trying to sell 'special' equipment by any chance ? :)

Yes. I looked them up, and they do seem to cater to the suckers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The renderer (or what most people call streamer) turns it into a playable format (e.g., SPDIF). Here, the timing is slapped on and the pollution carried over from the switch plays a part.

Interesting... can you explain the process a little further... I am willing to learn (how to troll)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Peace

You've likely just added to the number who won't...

Have a nice day.

jasonk

Seems I need to reassess the knowledge I’ve acquired during my +30 years working in in the IT Networking industry
Same here. I may show my age when I confess to having manually equalised, with a screwdriver, the 300 bps modem connecting a major bank's computer centre (computer hall the size of a football field) to their currency dealers. But since then, like you, what have I learnt about digital communications?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
All connected equipment passes along crap with the signal. Call it hum, buzz, phase noise, voltage noise, whatever.
When one streams over AriPlay very little data gets buffered. It's a continuous process.

Streaming services sends over meta data followed by the pertaining bits. Timing information, and therefor jitter, has no part in it. The renderer (or what most people call streamer) turns it into a playable format (e.g., SPDIF). Here, the timing is slapped on and the pollution carried over from the switch plays a part.

No offence, but that's just nonsens from one end to the other. I don't know who told you this, or whether you just fabricated it on the spot, but it violates any basic knowledge about electronics and IP transmission.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
But you, on the other hand, have had years of testing and inspecting oscillators.

I have worked for years with various electronics depending on oscillators as a clock source. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they needed settling time worth mentioning.

I am afraid HairyEars has gone.

Just tying up loose ends. Can't help myself ;)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have worked for years with various electronics depending on oscillators as a clock source. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they needed settling time worth mentioning.

What if they need decades to settle? :cool:

tw99

Peace

It'll sound even better if you shave your ears.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So why does the ER work? Not by improving the transmission integrity; that task most switches/routers fulfill splendidly—as many here have rightly pointed out. What the ER uniquely does is to reduce the overall jitter. .

There is no mechanism for it to reduce jitter in the dac.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thus, as rational, science-oriented individuals, you act against your own principals by declaring in a dud in advance

When I start playback and pull the Ethernet cable and can't hear any difference. The ER isn't going to net me any positive.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
as many here have rightly pointed out. What the ER uniquely does is to reduce the overall jitter.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Research clock domain boundaries. Jitter stops at the buffer.

jasonk

I have just read all of Uptone’s blurb about the EtherRegen. Incredibly, nowhere do they actually say what it does

Hold on, I will read it again thoroughly

6-layer circuit board…… a significant reduction in upstream phase-noise fingerprint………active, high-speed, low-jitter differential digital isolator chips……ultra-low jitter differential re-clocking flip-flops”
nothing yet
Active Differential Isolation Moat …………….eliminate the signal-borne phase-noise …………….The differential isolators prevent the data-borne clock signature from getting onto the ground-plane of the PCB”
must be soon
two isolated data/power/clock domains ……..advanced, programmable, jitter-attenuating clock synthesizer with four differential outputs…………Special conversion buffers are positioned just millimeters from chips that require single-ended clock ………12 transformer cores in each port……. ground their center-taps through capacitors ……lowest-impedance integrated voltage regulators”

hold on
X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves. …… “
Well that explains it all, I will definitely get better audio using X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves.
(This is where I lost the will to live)

A huge list of components and features supposed to impress me with nothing to explain the benefit of any feature

So somebody, please, in ten words or fewer, what does the EtherRegen do ? (other than switch)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Sentences like the ones above may give the impression you don't know anything about the topic. It is a bit as if you know so very little that you don't even realize there are things you could learn and then know beyond the thick fog you are swimming in. :oops:

It does smell a lot like the Dunning-Kruger effect, yes. But the "optimist" in me wants to label it as indoctrination.

Top Bottom