• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

extremism in opinions

Mikig

influencer​

noun​

1. A salesperson you invite into your home on a regular basis to convince you your life is hollow without what they are offering.

It used to be that you'd encounter a few really talented salespeople in your life. Those ones that can sell anything to anyone and make the person feel like their life has improved greatly with the purchase. Now, instead of stumbling into them at a store or finding them at our front door, we go looking for them online. And like a truly gifted salesman they are seen as friends, experts or helpers, not salespeople who are moving product.
well, influencers exist because people, in order not to "make a mistake" in front of the ruthless and omniscient "social" court of modern society, agree to "pay" the price by depersonalizing themselves, to use the "personality" of others, who are instead considered " models” of life to follow….
the problem is how and why one becomes a “model” to follow….
there would be a lot to discuss…..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
well, influencers exist because people, in order not to "make a mistake" in front of the ruthless and omniscient "social" court of modern society, agree to "pay" the price by depersonalizing themselves, to use the "personality" of others, who are instead considered " models” of life to follow….
the problem is how and why one becomes a “model” to follow….
there would be a lot to discuss…..
I have models in my life that I use to learn behaviors from and then I use my new found brain power(s) for the betterment of life and humanity. Heck, I have models here @ ASR that I follow and learn from and develop social skills from. Why a person would seek influencers I understand but why O' why do they choose some of the worst that exist or have existed. sigh*

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the internet has always been a place people go to blow off steam, one way or another. you can channel aggression if u so choose. you can evangelize lunatic BS in a consequence-free environment. you can guffaw provoking people into debating any ridiculous BS u made up. it's always been like that in any discussion group.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have models in my life that I use to learn behaviors from and then I use my new found brain power(s) for the betterment of life and humanity. Heck, I have models here @ ASR that I follow and learn from and develop social skills from. Why a person would seek influencers I understand but why O' why do they choose some of the worst that exist or have existed. sigh*
"Influencers" are professional liars. They aren't the only ones, but they are. Except they do it for little money per click, so they have to lie harder. But in the real world, there are respected consultants from top companies that will say pretty much anything if you pay them enough.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Influencers" are professional liars. They aren't the only ones, but they are. Except they do it for little money per click, so they have to lie harder. But in the real world, there are respected consultants from top companies that will say pretty much anything if you pay them enough.
Wait, you may be conflating influences and lawyers. Oops, I mean politicians. :eek::cool::facepalm:;):facepalm:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
So, I guess, then the way things are pushed to get clicks carries over into the way people describe things to others too?
Average, by definition, does not stand out. That applies to anything, from political oppinions, to preferences in hobbies. We live in a world heavily dominated by economy of attention, and to get that attention, you have to stand out. It´s easier to stand out with hyperbole, even if you do not really believe in it.

egellings

Major Contributor
I sometimes think that the human race could actually be regressing now, and therefore perhaps we will just end up tadpoles in a swamp again.

(WTF. Till then, I will pour myself a bourbon, kick back and enjoy the music... hoping that AI or a miss-pressed button doesn't vapourise us all first!)
When I use WTF, I always like to say, WTF, over.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize this borders on politics, but I read a lot of political editorials and have trouble believing the various authors are all writing about the same country.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bingo! I see it too.
It's starting to drive me nuts. I don't know what it's like in Canada, but the US elections can't be over soon enough. I know what result I want, and have a pretty good idea of how it will be to live with either result. I'm old so if it's bad, I won't suffer for too many years.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Average, by definition, does not stand out.

Uh huh!

They're congregated along the top of the curve.

1711487901739.png

It's us folks at the edges that are hiding.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's starting to drive me nuts. I don't know what it's like in Canada, but the US elections can't be over soon enough. I know what result I want, and have a pretty good idea of how it will be to live with either result. I'm old so if it's bad, I won't suffer for too many years.
It's similar in Canada. Read one paper and then another and the text has extras added in or not added in and it changes everything etc. It's gobbledygook and hoodwinking. We are suffering with The Prince and Meathead. (The peeps in control atm.)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Uh huh!

They're congregated along the top of the curve.

View attachment 359369

It's us folks at the edges that are hiding.
Most of us are relatively emphatic creatures (psychopaths are quite rate), so people with similar views as ours do not stand out much. You need the "deranged" to get that "whaaaaaaat?" element. And that´s what attention economy is about.

Mikig

think, the US elections also have an impact on this side of the Atlantic, and I can guarantee you that there is a lot of talk about it here too!!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's similar in Canada. Read one paper and then another and the text has extras added in or not added in and it changes everything etc. It's gobbledygook and hoodwinking. We are suffering with The Prince and Meathead. (The peeps in control atm.)
Prince and Meathead, LOL. Time will tell.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
think, the US elections also have an impact on this side of the Atlantic, and I can guarantee you that there is a lot of talk about it here too!!
I'm sure there is a lot of talk. Maybe these are the interesting times the supposed curse is about.

Mikig

you should read Italian newspapers. the same news, depending on the publisher, can even be the opposite!!! in fact I have been reading news agencies for a long time, at least you manage to have a neutral point on reality, whether I like it or not!!

Mikig

I'm sure there is a lot of talk. Maybe these are the interesting times the supposed curse is about.
look, we have the European elections, but we're talking more about coalitions, people at local level and parties at local level; Europe (institution) is still a strange creature. While when it comes to the US elections there isn't a day without a debate, an article or a report on TV!!!

Top Bottom