• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

Theriverlethe

Personally I don't give a rats arse about possibilities. What really matters is probability.

The probability of the EtherREGEN doing anything audible is so low it can barely be expressed with numbers.

Both the proposed benefits and the hard evidence backing it up needs to be exceptionally solid, in order to elevate the amount of time and money worth spending on this thing to any level worth mentioning.

So, no measurements, tests or reasoning can persuade you? It will all just add to the mystery?

Come on, it has some hopefully small probability of catching on fire. That might be audible.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The kicker is that 1GBe supports 802.11az (Green Ethernet) not only do you have the ability, on a properly built streamer, to cache tracks in their entirety, you can transfer those tracks (16/44.1 through 24/192) in under a second to a few seconds , 802.11az will reduce power and the 'high'/'low' impedance leakage currents.

jasonk

I hear improved SQ. I do not doubt my "ears" in this respect. That perceptual improvement may or may not correspond with what your instruments might determine is "better" at the DAC output. I'd be interested to see.

This is my entire point. It is a "perceptual improvement" produced by your individual mind, not a real improvement. You are talking about subjective experience whereras I am only interested in objective improvements; the tangible

HairyEars

Dear members,

While I general support your skepticism, I feel you have erred with the EtherRegen (ER).

First off, none of you have measured it or auditioned it (or so it would have seemed).
Thus, as rational, science-oriented individuals, you act against your own principals by declaring in a dud in advance.

No, I haven’t taken measures myself—it’s above my pay-grade—but I did an ABX. It was easy to detect the ER’s present. I failed only one time out of 8.

So why does the ER work? Not by improving the transmission integrity; that task most switches/routers fulfill splendidly—as many here have rightly pointed out. What the ER uniquely does is to reduce the overall jitter. On that note, my chain is single purpose—to minimize the jitter arriving at my active monitors. Auralic Aeries G2 -> a cascade of Mutech MC3+USB tethered to Ref 10 clock, using AES signal. No BS cables (homemade, purchased by the meter), no linear power supply upgrades.

I was highly skeptical about the ER. I thought nothing could’ve upgraded my sound and was so ready to ship it back for a refund.
Then, two hours into adding the ER, I was in for lovely surprise.

I know I won’t change many hearts here. But you truly miss out on a great, relatively inexpensive, method to improve your sound. Try it out, for your own sake.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know I won’t change many hearts here... Try it out, for your own sake.

Uh huh...

My heart doesn't need help, nor does my Ethernet switch.

Food tastes better using my special spoon. Doubt me? Try it for yourself...every single bite is just...better.

$5,000. You won't know unless you try...

HairyEars

Uh huh...

My heart doesn't need help, nor does my Ethernet switch.

Food tastes better using my special spoon. Doubt me? Try it for yourself...every single bite is just...better.

$5,000. You won't know unless you try...

Yep, you've really "engaged" with my points. Well done. Very keen.

I won't requite in kind and engage with yours:
Does your spoon come with 30 days money back? The ER does. You'll only lose shipping two way.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yep, you've really "engaged" with my points. Well done. Very keen.

I won't requite in kind and engage with yours:
Does your spoon come with 30 days money back? The ER does. You'll only lose shipping two way.

It requires 500 hours of burn in.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It took 3 hours before it started working properly ?
Why wasn't it in full swing after 3-4 seconds ?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
First off, none of you have measured it or auditioned it (or so it would have seemed).
Thus, as rational, science-oriented individuals, you act against your own principals by declaring in a dud in advance.

Some claims are just too preposterous to require this kind of attention. If I told you that the moon was made of cheese, I wouldn't expect you to send a rocket to investigate. I acknowledge that there's no proof of the EtherREGEN not doing anything, but I reserve the right to be very, very... very sceptical.

So why does the ER work? Not by improving the transmission integrity; that task most switches/routers fulfill splendidly—as many here have rightly pointed out. What the ER uniquely does is to reduce the overall jitter.

Ethernet transmits data as packages to a buffer. The actual sequential and time-sensitive datastream is extracted from the data in the buffer, which itself is practically time-invariant (as in.. don't care about jitter). Think about it for a moment. If protocol transmission was really sensitive to jitter, online music streaming would be physically impossible.

HairyEars

It took 3 hours before it started working properly ?
Why wasn't it in full swing after 3-4 seconds ?

Two factors:

• It takes a bit time for oscillators to stabilize
  • Some complex gear require a break-in period--for the various parts/components to work in peak and in tandem. Before you shoot it down, does your car’s engine perform as well at the first day as in after 10k?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You have a lot to learn. Next time recommend 800 hours break-in and offer a 30 day return period.

Dammit! I always screw up the best way to take advantage of people...

I admit, I've never run a business based on anything but cold cruel reality, so I do need to work on some of those pesky details.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Two factors:

• It takes a bit time for oscillators to stabilize
  • Some complex gear require a break-in period--for the various parts/components to work in peak and in tandem. Before you shoot it down, does your car’s engine perform as well at the first day as in after 10k?

How stable does it need to be for ethernet ? The clock used in Ethernet connections is in no way used or related to audio content.
It is not like the oscillator used in a DAC.

How is the device complex ?
There are no mechanical parts in there needing to break in (as in the poor car anlogy).
Does your computer take 3-4 hours before data speeds are finally reaching maximum speed ?
Forming of capacitors is already done in the first few seconds (if needed at all or done in the short QC tests ?)

HairyEars

Some claims are just too preposterous to require this kind of attention. If I told you that the moon was made of cheese, I wouldn't expect you to send a rocket to investigate. I acknowledge that there's no proof of the EtherREGEN not doing anything, but I reserve the right to be very, very... very sceptical.

You didn't make any specific point, just that you ought to be skeptical. Accepted.

Ethernet transmits data as packages to a buffer. The actual sequential and time-sensitive datastream is extracted from the data in the buffer, which itself is practically time-invariant (as in.. don't care about jitter). Think about it for a moment. If protocol transmission was really sensitive to jitter, online music streaming would be physically impossible.

All connected equipment passes along crap with the signal. Call it hum, buzz, phase noise, voltage noise, whatever.
When one streams over AriPlay very little data gets buffered. It's a continuous process.

Streaming services sends over meta data followed by the pertaining bits. Timing information, and therefor jitter, has no part in it. The renderer (or what most people call streamer) turns it into a playable format (e.g., SPDIF). Here, the timing is slapped on and the pollution carried over from the switch plays a part.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It takes a bit time for oscillators to stabilize

Sorry, but no. The oscillator stabilizes practically immediately. The sole purpose of an oscillator is to be constant and precise. If it really needed to "warm up" first, any PC, smartphone or other equipment containing microprocessors would be rendered useless.

EDIT: Temperature drift is a real problem, but only in applications that are enormously more sensitive than consumer electronics.

Some complex gear require a break-in period--for the various parts/components to work in peak and in tandem. Before you shoot it down, does your car’s engine perform as well at the first day as in after 10k?

An ethernet switch is not a mechanical component. It does not require break-in whatsoever.

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming services sends over meta data followed by the pertaining bits. Timing information, and therefor jitter, has no part in it. The renderer (or what most people call streamer) turns it into a playable format (e.g., SPDIF). Here, the timing is slapped on and the pollution carried over from the switch plays a part.

Sentences like the ones above may give the impression you don't know anything about the topic. It is a bit as if you know so very little that you don't even realize there are things you could learn and then know beyond the thick fog you are swimming in. :oops:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You didn't make any specific point, just that you ought to be skeptical. Accepted.

All connected equipment passes along crap with the signal. Call it hum, buzz, phase noise, voltage noise, whatever.
When one streams over AriPlay very little data gets buffered. It's a continuous process.

My goodness. How does all this awfulness manifest in the analog output? What specific changes in the analog output will this device cause if it does what you’re claiming?

Top Bottom