• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the sake of accuracy, wouldn't that more likely be an Ethnic slur?

Don't want to derail the thread, but I think an argument can be made either way (not to mention an argument for a fuzzy line between the two terms in cases like this). But I do take your point.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
And, thus, the forum has come to this. :(:(:rolleyes:View attachment 41917

Yeah, it's sad... But mutual mud throwing was sort of inevitable when talking about a product like this :rolleyes:

But who cares. As long as it pleasures me, be it reality or hallucinating, that’s all I care.

That's the thing. This whole place is designed as a safe haven for those of us who actually do care.

If the placebo effect is just as valid an indicator for quality as tangible design skills, then no real progress will ever be made.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It might be but his observations are quite wrong.

1. I post under my real identity with link to who I am and do not hide under an alias. The author himself posts under alias "joelha" which does not at all identify him.

2. He says some of us don't listen. I listened. I heard no improvement.

3. He says there was no food fights decades decades back in audio. Is he real? He does not remember the war of CD vs LP? Tube versus transistor? People were killing each other on Internet usenet groups then more than now since many of those fora were not moderated. Maybe he thinks the Internet didn't exist then. :)

I predict the very thing he says should not happen, will happen in the comments section of that thread. :)

nintendoeats

I found a couple random Postscript files in my IRIX software collection yesterday. I converted them to PDF at work today, and was surprised to find an article reviewing how many a/v streams could be acceptably transmitted using 10BASE-T and 100BASE-T. It was such a strong coincidence that I felt compelled to post. This struck my eye:
To support multimedia communications, it is desirable to use existing network infrastructures, which are designed specically for data applications. In existing network infrastructures, Ethernet is the most popular LAN scheme used, owing to its simplicity and efficiency. However, it does not provide bounded delays and it does not distinguish between different traffic types such as video and data.

Evaluation of 10Base-T and 100Base-T Ethernets Carrying Video, Audio and Data Traffic - William Chien - Stanford University - June 1994

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We don't care about bounded delays (up to a limit) for non-real-time audio and video. By using large memory buffers, we can tolerate very high variance in latency on the network and still provide reliable playback. Notice how we are able to do that across the entire Internet. A home network is a walk in the park.

There is also priority schemes for Ethernet but only used in VOIP and such.

Uncompressed CD audio uses 1.4 mbit/sec. Flac encoded on the average cuts that in half (or a bit more). Let's use 1 mbit/sec for ease of math. A 100 mbit interface provides an actual throughput of 90 mbits/second. So we can have 90 streams of CD quality stereo lossless concurrent playback. With Gigabit network, that number multiplies by 10 to 900.

Given the much higher speeds of the link, we can prefetch a lot of the track and put it in the buffer without much waiting time. And can keep reading ahead to the end of the track if we wanted, providing reliable playback even if the network goes down completely mid span.

nintendoeats

Given the much higher speeds of the link, we can prefetch a lot of the track and put it in the buffer without much waiting time. And can keep reading ahead to the end of the track if we wanted, providing reliable playback even if the network goes down completely mid span.
I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise, I just wanted to draw attention to the sentence about how the network cannot distinguish traffic.

That said, two notes on the article: firstly, it is generally more interested in videoconferencing than Hi-Fi (latency is therefore critical). Secondly, in 1994 most machines would not be able to buffer more than a few seconds of CD audio (I'm sure I don't need to tell you how small RAM sizes were at that time :p) .

I really just thought this paper was a curiosity, nothing more.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise, I just wanted to draw attention to the sentence about how the network cannot distinguish traffic.

That's not true in current networks. We can prioritize traffic.

decoRyder

Top Bottom