• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade 8351b to 1230df?

SteveWee

Hi guys,

Currently, i own a pair of 8351b and they are fantastic loudspeakers in my home stereo environment @ 2.5m listening distance.

However there is an opportunity for a used and fairly mint pair of 1238df with a 7070a sub at 30% off the regular price of a new pair of 1238df. Do you guys think it makes sense to upgrade?

The 8351b seems to be the best overall package due to it size, no need for a sub and better horizontal/vertical directivity. But i notice the 1230df has this extended horizontal directivity compared to the 8351b. Would it bring abt an improvement in overall sound quality?

Thanks to all for comments!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really an upgrade, more of a sidegrade. The 1238 has less consistent horizontal directivity, worse vertical and worse on axis frequency response, but it's significantly larger with bigger woofers so plays louder.

The narrower low frequency horizontal directivity is still pretty far from something like a D&D 8C or W371A so I doubt it will make a big audible difference.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 1238df is designed to use with a sub, but not with a non-SAM one, so 7070a won't open up all of their potential and you'll have to use some kind of external solution for room correction and bass management, IMO not worth the hassle at least with this sub and not flush mounted

Top Bottom