• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding the Appeal of Cheap Class A/B Amplifiers: Your Thoughts?

Barrelhouse Solly

This reminds me of the early days of solid state amps. There were quite a few poorly designed or cheaply implemented solid state amps on the market in the early '70s. Also the odd order harmonic distortion they produced was "harsher" sounding than the even order distortion from tube amps. It clouded consumers' minds. A good solid state design was better than a good tube design at the same price. One of the basic principles of engineering in any field is that it's very rare for there to be only one good solution to a problem unless there's a technological breakthrough.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems these class a/b amps are not for audiophiles at all. However, there are still many people keeping buying them. Probably mainly because of the numerous functions and connectivities? Like Karaoke, FM radio, SD card, Bluetooth, etc.
I think these class a/b amps are for the people who have bought into the audiophile myth that class a/b amps have some sort of special magic to them, but cant afford to buy the sterophile recommendations. I went through a similar process buying a class d/tube hybrid as my first real amp.

frabor

We have to accept that most users do not care or understand pages of multicolor graphs with numbers , but they understand that 125Watts is MUCH better than 95W and if distortion numbers starts by a zero, so it has to be good. These units provide lots of inputs, with a lot of led lights and good functionality for a low price. They have sound, cute led lights and are cheap. What's not to like! :0)

Twisting the argument a little bit. Most avr (well almost all below $2000 or Euros) are AB, they have nice led, they amplify sound but their sonic specs are from acceptable to substandard compared to the stereo equipment tested here, even the ones far below that price mark. Yet people keep buying these to listen to music and vinyl other that the avr purpose (now most Denon AVR have a phono input that was absent for years). The more outputs and more three letter music standards an avr does, the better the avr will be and sound, doesn't it?

Sometimes ignorance is a bliss and knowledge is a burden.

Waxx

Major Contributor
The reality here in Europe (or at least in Belgium) is still that they want the classic look, and don't care what's in it as long as it's functional and good sounding to their standards (that is not high to ours). Most music lovers are not technical at all and our complex systems with dsp, multichannel and room correction is way too complex.

I had a family reunion last weekend, and again the question came to advice for a simple "receiver" that sounds good and has DAB (radio) build in. The family member who asked is not technical at all and a bit older. Connecting the cd player and turntable and the speaker cables is already a challenge for them. The speaker are old (1970's) but still mint Kenwood speakers and their old Pioneer "receiver (integrated amp with fm radio build in) died.

A Yamaha R/S202 DAB+ is what fits their needs the best. It's relative cheap, it works well and is all in one, they just have to connect the cd player and record player and the speakers. It's like a drop-in of their Pioneer, but with DAB+ in stead of FM/AM radio. They don't care about sinad and dsp/room correction. They just want their system working again more or less as before. And the Audiophonics digital integrated amp (that was discussed here before) is already to expensive and complex for them. I did suggest it but they did not want it.

And even with a lot of younger people, it's like that. That is why those big brands of the past keep selling the old receipe (sometimes with a streamer or DAB build in) and why those crappy AB class amps on alieexpress sell. And they will keep doing it untill the newer more advanced system are as userfriendly as those for technical noobs.

thewalkingboss

I just think they sound better than class D amps. Don't know why. I'm an electrical engineer and learned how to build class a/b amps in college. I have 3 Pyle receivers ($45) that are connected to my computers and drive '80s era Realistic Minimus 7's ($50). Great sound for less than $100 per computer.

wpo7

I just think they sound better than class D amps. Don't know why. I'm an electrical engineer and learned how to build class a/b amps in college. I have 3 Pyle receivers ($45) that are connected to my computers and drive '80s era Realistic Minimus 7's ($50). Great sound for less than $100 per computer.
yes I agree, though I found it odd that when I contacted Pyle they claimed the amp (PTAUWIFI46) is a class D not a/b

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the one Pyle amp measured hear has distortion in the audible range without being too high, so yours might sound different in a pleasant way to you.

egellings

Major Contributor
I would say the following:
1. A first time buyer who doesn't really understand what they are buying so thinks buying something that 'covers' all the options they might need at the cheapest price- they are buying these because of the all the buttons and connections
2. I can imagine someone looking at these products thinks they are buying something with lots of options so won't need to buy something else

The reality is I imagine after they receive one of these they will hardly use it and probably ends up with a bad opinion of the sound quality that a 'cheap' amplifier can provide.
Hey, It's got everything on it!

Top Bottom