• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Not sure when I am going to have time for sweeps. I have a lot of music I need to 'test' now. ;)

I downloaded Anaconda to compile @scott wurcer 's Python code. I will definitely want to measure when the 'wandering Puffin' arrives. :D

Please feel free to ask for help if you have any issues.

JP

Major Contributor
I agree. It might be even better if I had noticed the gold toned bolts in the cartridge box before mounting it with the raw aluminum bolts that came with the headshell. I am not planning to swap them out yet though.

They do like to hide the hardware pack.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The gold may 'warm up' the sound too, so worth a shot for sonics too. :facepalm:
This was a 2 minute job. I can't find the right words to describe the sound of the gold toned headshell bolts. They synergize nicely with orange vinyl. I might shop for some gold colored records. :p

20210121_201457.jpg

JP

Major Contributor
Ah. Ya, your diagram is of a linear arm. This is the EPA-A505 wand that goes on an EPA-B500 base.

IMG_5955.jpeg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Had two that looked like this:
$_86.jpg

JP

Major Contributor
Haven't listened yet - about to listen to the P305MCMK2. That was Technics' TOTL MC. This is the only sample I have that appears to have a good suspension.

JP

Major Contributor
The plots I posted in #277 was also a Technics P-mount. When I get around to it I'll find or remake my measurements of the P205CMK3 and MK4 and the P310MC.

IMG_1545.jpeg

levimax

Major Contributor
I have a cheap plastic p-mount TT I use as a backup.... it sounds surprisingly good and of course the speed stability puts most new decks to shame. Cart is a lowly P24 with a SAS Neo stylus. Measurements are not bad.... a little HF "hump" mostly higher than I can hear anyway.

sas_neo_high_line_added.png

PXL_20210131_015740881.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm pretty ignorant about the entire genre.

I've never owned a p-mount capable arm.
The good: you don't have to worry about cartridge alignment ever again.
The bad: mostly underperforming, second rate cartridges & arms. Coulda been a contender. Guess it could never offer up the thrill of potentially destroying a $5000+ stylus when tweaking to get everything "just so".

Top Bottom