• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me I need to measure my 180.
Ooh. Hollow gold plated boron that is no longer produced on that one... a hollow boron tube actually does make some sense.

The thing I can't figure is why are there so few carbon HiFi cantilevers? My guess is because the material was never used in the 'Golden Age of HiFi.'

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ooh. Hollow gold plated boron that is no longer produced on that one... a hollow boron tube actually does make some sense.

The thing I can't figure is why are there so few carbon HiFi cantilevers? My guess is because the material was never used in the 'Golden Age of HiFi.'

It might be overly stiff and prone to ringing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Has some enterprising cartridge maker started touting graphene cantilevers yet? I think that's the current fashion buzzword.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could have specified carbon fiber rather than carbon graphene or carbon diamond. :facepalm:

I was thinking like the new AT VM95 DJ cartridges or the LPGear Carbon Fidelity, likely the same cantilever. Why not put a nude microline on one.

Makes sense it might be too stiff. I am sure you could make a great cantilever from carbon fiber if you wanted. Tapered or hollow and not super stiff might be best.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I can't lower my carbon footprint if I start using graphene cantilevers.

Those cactus spine ones, though, sound very sustainable.
Much better than the steel needles. More "analog" like.
[Ray Avery's Rare Records sold both.]

JP

Major Contributor

Its cool but looks like a baseball bat next to the Technics boron pipe cantilevers.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh this packaging is nice. I haven't felt this way since I got my Focal Clears.
20210120_175543.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It comes with (protective?) gink on the stylus.
WIN_20210120_18_34_12_Pro.jpg

A little tricky to get it off. This is after some cleaning:

WIN_20210120_18_51_33_Pro.jpg

Better play some records to clean it properly.

20210120_190148.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the first I've heard of protective gunk on a cart and the need to clean it off.

I've never done that.
I am sure it would have been fine to play it right away if I were not trying to take microscopic photos of the new stylus first.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure when I am going to have time for sweeps. I have a lot of music I need to 'test' now. ;)

20210120_195643.jpg

I downloaded Anaconda to compile @scott wurcer 's Python code. I will definitely want to measure when the 'wandering Puffin' arrives. :D

To my ears, this is the biggest component upgrade since I went from the AT 95EB to the AT 440MLb about 5 years ago. Incidentally, I need to bring up Wishbone Ash and Martin Birch's sound engineering in The why Michael Jackson sounds better thread. :cool:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not sure when I am going to have time for sweeps. I have a lot of music I need to 'test' now. ;)

View attachment 107479
I downloaded Anaconda to compile @scott wurcer 's Python code. I will definitely want to measure when the 'wandering Puffin' arrives. :D

To my ears, this is the biggest component upgrade since I went from the AT 95EB to the AT 440MLb about 5 years ago. Incidentally, I need to bring up Wishbone Ash and Martin Birch's sound engineering in The why Michael Jackson sounds better thread. :cool:

It's a great cosmetic match for that headshell!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a great cosmetic match for that headshell!
I agree. It might be even better if I had noticed the gold toned bolts in the cartridge box before mounting it with the raw aluminum bolts that came with the headshell. I am not planning to swap them out yet though.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree. It might be even better if I had noticed the gold toned bolts in the cartridge box before mounting it with the raw aluminum bolts that came with the headshell. I am not planning to swap them out yet though.

You have to, at some point.

Aside from it being a perk of the pricier carts, it completes the Iron Man color scheme.

Top Bottom