• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Uncle Roger" on Food....

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
he's very entertaining. I watched a bunch of his videos a while back. I need to catch up.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ai ya!~ I'm sitting around thinking of going for a walk in -26C with wind chill because I'm bored and ai ya! @amirm drops some new and fun comedy stuff.
Thanks! I'm using Chinese exclamation and swearing because when I worked for the Chinese chef he swore profusely allll the time in Cantonese and Mandarin. So I picked up on all the swear words and decades later I still swear in Chinese when I am annoyed or surprised. Same as Italian. I grew up with Italians and I swear in Italian now decades later if I am in pain or something bad is happening. :D

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He’s a really funny entertainer and it’s interesting how he could make a one dimensional character multi-faceted enough to provide us with so much entertainment.

I really recommend that you watch his Nigela loson videos

earlevel

Considering grading some reviews with these, instead of panthers? :p

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 9.42.42 AM.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Uncle Roger is doing something important, and that is to make people consider what is authentic in food, and what has been bastardized. I am a food enthusiast and amateur cook, and I am VERY interested in what makes a dish "authentic" or what makes a dish a variation of a traditional dish. Although this conversation has been happening for a long time, Uncle Roger made everyone consider it.

Let's take an example, egg fried rice. As a Chinese who has been eating egg fried rice my whole life, I agree that it is a very simple dish: rice, garlic, egg, spring onion, soy sauce, and pepper. You can optionally add: chilli, some other kind of protein (prawns, fish cake, chicken, pork, beef), some other kind of flavouring (salted fish, fish sauce, fermented shrimp or belachan, even curry powder). You can even make it with different types of rice - the traditional rice is short grained jasmine rice, but you can also use sushi rice or basmati rice. However: no matter what you do, the texture of the rice is all important and the ingredients must not overwhelm the rice. He is right to call out Jamie Oliver as one of the worst versions of egg fried rice that he has seen (or I have seen) and you most definitely do not boil the rice in a pot and drain it in a colander!

There are many other Youtubers who are concerned about authenticity although they are not comedians like Uncle Roger, they routinely review other videos and react to it. One example is Vincenzo (from Vincenzo's Plate) and a channel called "Italia Squisita" which review Italian recipes and criticize whether they are authentic or not. Once you give a dish a certain label, e.g. "Carbonara", it sets up an expectation that a dish has to be prepared a certain way and with certain limitations. If you are not going to make it that way, then do not give the dish that label.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I need to hire his artist to make stuff like this for us!!! Saw them the other day and thought they were so cute.
A golfing Amir or a facepalm Amir for the reviews along with the panthers would be quite fun. :p

earlevel

I need to hire his artist to make stuff like this for us!!! Saw them the other day and thought they were so cute.
Then there's bobbleheads...At a local restaurant, a customer had one made of the bartender. I don't know who made it, but it's so accurate, it could probably be used in a police lineup and hold up in a court of law. (Yes, caricatures are a better idea, but just the point that maybe people who make custom bobbleheads would be a good start.)

IMG_6232_edit.jpeg

Digby

Major Contributor
Uncle Roger is doing something important, and that is to make people consider what is authentic in food, and what has been bastardized. I am a food enthusiast and amateur cook, and I am VERY interested in what makes a dish "authentic" or what makes a dish a variation of a traditional dish. Although this conversation has been happening for a long time, Uncle Roger made everyone consider it.
Personally I care mainly about taste, but usually authentic methods are authentic for good reasons, the main one being taste. There are some adopted recipes that have been improved/altered to local tastes that are fine or sometimes better than the original IMO.

Let's take an example, egg fried rice. As a Chinese who has been eating egg fried rice my whole life, I agree that it is a very simple dish: rice, garlic, egg, spring onion, soy sauce, and pepper. You can optionally add: chilli, some other kind of protein (prawns, fish cake, chicken, pork, beef), some other kind of flavouring (salted fish, fish sauce, fermented shrimp or belachan, even curry powder). You can even make it with different types of rice - the traditional rice is short grained jasmine rice, but you can also use sushi rice or basmati rice. However: no matter what you do, the texture of the rice is all important and the ingredients must not overwhelm the rice. He is right to call out Jamie Oliver as one of the worst versions of egg fried rice that he has seen (or I have seen) and you most definitely do not boil the rice in a pot and drain it in a colander!
I think you have to consider that Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey et al are aiming their recipes at Western audiences who are probably slightly above average at cooking, at best.

I imagine that the (East) Asian community in Britain is not too happy about Uncle Roger. They are loathe to share recipes, as their takeaway restaurants do very well, so most of them are probably happy to see these diluted/inauthentic recipes proliferate - it means more customers when they want the proper stuff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom