• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

uBACCH now available for Windows

Davide

I guess this crosstalk correction system only works in one precise point, right?

I also assume that the two speakers must have a very very similar frequency and phase response.
How does this system compensate them otherwise?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some of this is just market segmentation, but I've never seen a mch version on sale along side something I was already going to buy in plain stereo.
Don't know what your looking, for but there have been literally thousands of box sets released over the last couple decades that include stereo cd's, multich dvd-a or blurays, even 2ch lps.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know what your looking, for but there have been literally thousands of box sets released over the last couple decades that include stereo cd's, multich dvd-a or blurays, even 2ch lps.
Well that's the market segmentation part. It's not like those usually come out with the original album with DVDA or BD sold along side the CD or an MCH FLAC version along side the stereo download. From research I know they do exist for some of the more mainstream bands that I like but...

Most of the music I like isn't very mainstream. It's on smaller labels, completely indie, or just not super popular even if it is on a major label. Just as an example, here's the last album I bought. I think you need pretty mainstream tastes for it to work out for you. I haven't done an exhaustive survey of my existing music library but I don't think there would be more a few dozen albums I already have with some sort of MCH release and many of those I wouldn't actually like enough to buy again in a new format. And that's before tripling or quadrupling my investment in speakers and associated electronics.

All that said I do agree with you MCH is better than plain stereo. If someone waved a magic wand and created MCH versions of most of my favorites I'd spend the money on it. At least if it was actually for sale and not this streaming only BS.

BACCH Labs

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry for the delayed response, let me jump in on a few of these!
Thank you @BACCH Labs for your reply. I have a question - Theoretica's BACCH license gives you one year of upgrades and support. How many years of updates can we expect from u-BACCH, and what is the renewal fee?

I am quite disappointed that there is no version of c-BACCH planned for Windows.

@Sal1950, there are a few good reasons to consider BACCH over a multichannel system. The main one is lack of availability of music available in multichannel format, whereas BACCH processing can improve the immersive experience of any music you throw at it, except mono. Then, some room configurations do not support multichannel rear speakers, like mine. And for me, I have an active system controlled by DSP and an 8 channel DAC just to drive the front two speakers. Adding another 3 speakers would mean purchase of a 16 channel DAC, and those are not cheap. It would mean a massive increase in system complexity, which I am not prepared to deal with for so little benefit (see lack of music).
RE: Support
As long as we are updating the uBACCH and optimizing it for new operating systems, you’ll receive those updates for free. Any optimizations to the algorithm or the plugin will also be free. We won’t make a uBACCH 2.0 that you need to buy and upgrade to, as these filters have already been perfected in many ways, and additional functionality doesn't make much sense. Some additional functionality would be lower latency or asymmetrical L/R angles, and I'd imagine these would be free updates as well.
And support is as simple as messaging us, which we offer to customers and non customers! So I don’t see any limitations on any of these, certainly not just a year. Theoretica’s BACCH-dSP is quite different — this is at the forefront of spatial audio technology and the different softwares, especially higher level versions, are constantly receiving updates. There’s some training required to understand and use the software’s vast functionalities properly. All of this doesn’t really don’t apply to u-BACCH, and there’s much less support to be had! So, we don’t need to limit it. Hope that makes sense!

RE: BACCH vs Surround (vs other spatial effects)
Plugins like these are actively adjusting the Master/Mix and its width, spaciousness, etc. BACCH is an algorithm that's goal is purely to cancel out the speaker locations and allow you to hear all these cues as if you're experiencing them in real life, enhanced spaciousness or not. So they are very different, and I'd actually gander you could use these effects before BACCH to increase immersion, if so wanted.
BACCH isn't a widener or enhancer, it's technically a "stereo purifier" performing (patented) perfect, uncolored crosstalk cancellation. We don't touch or upmix the master recording, we simply let you hear it as if your speakers had no crosstalk, were perfectly directional (which is physically impossible), or if you were to put a mattress in between them.
For this reason, whenever sensitive artists and audio engineers hear BACCH, they actually love it. It's still their recording and mix, it's still their placement of instruments within a space, you just get this image that's somewhere in between headphones and speakers, out around you, as if you're inside the recording. The balance, tonality, ambience, and image are all untouched, yet purified for speaker playback.
I don't mean to be sarcastic but for all the time, effort, and perhaps money some of you put into these
phasey attempts at creating an immersive audio experience, Maybe it's time to start thinking about a real multich
surround system? Todays 4, 5.1, and Atmos/Auro can supply an incredible immersive true discrete soundspace.
JMHO
I know this has already gone back and forth a bit, but my two cents:
Good point, and surround sound has its lovely merits, but there is a huge difference here -- BACCH Spatial audio is actually more pleasing in many ways than surround. The largest reason for this beyond the obvious is proximity. Surround sound, no matter if you have 7 speakers or 32, can never approach the listener closer than the shoebox space the speakers are placed on. While this can be an incredible, immserive experience, with just 2 speakers BACCH can place instruments right next to the listener, or a whisper up in the ear. We only have two ears to hear the daily 3D audio experience of real life, so ideally, you only need 2 speakers with the right research and technology; that technology is BACCH.
Not to mention, yes @Keith_W great points, BACCH doesn't require special upmixing or remixing (although you can run binauralized versions of surround sound through it for a lovely, surround-like experience). Rather, some of the original stereo records of the 60s are some of the most impressive through it! With BACCH, you can rediscover your entire catalogue in a new way.
____
I guess this crosstalk correction system only works in one precise point, right?

I also assume that the two speakers must have a very very similar frequency and phase response.
How does this system compensate them otherwise?
Yes, BACCH is optimized for one listening position, but the beauty of its uncolored nature is you can't really tell if it's on or off when you're outside of the sweet spot. i.e., there's no penalty to leaving it on.
u-BACCH is essentially a series of BACCH filters made from virtual, point-source speakers symmetrically placed around the listener at different angles. So the closer you are to this "ideal" scenario of matched, symmetrical speakers the better the effect will be!

Hope that all helps!
-Cole

Last edited:

BACCH Labs

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I just tried this with jRiver for first time yesterday - you have to be playing audio for the test tones to work. Also, the plugin order may interfere. I have to run uBACCH before my convolution, presumably because my convolution changes the channel count from 2 to 3 (2.1).

Failing that, the uBACCH guys were kind enough to generate FLACs of the test tones for me which I then looped in foobar to get the angles down. If not available on their site yet, I can post here later today
Thanks, that worked! Based on the tuning, I increased it from 21 to 30.
Regarding JRiver (as well as Foobar), we did post a guides for these which I'll share below! If you'd like the binauralized pink noise we use in u-BACCH, it's available for download in the Foobar guide.
But yes, there is an odd limitation with some of these media players where you have to actually be playing a file for u-BACCH tuning to work.

JRiver:

Foobar:

Cheers!

Nvk

Thanks for sharing this Keith_W.

Just installed in on my PC computer initially with some Behringer Truth B2030A waveguide monitors and near field listening. Running it with Jriver 30 and it works fine. The test tones with pink noise didn't work here either, so I simply measured the angle and divided it by half as recommended.
View attachment 305899

Added Lovesong by Adele and Money by Pink Floyd (have several versions) that Baach mentioned to test in the userguide.

I will later test it on some large horn speakers where there directivity is constant between 200 Hz and 20 kHz and also quite narrow. But first impression with the PC Behringer monitors is that level migh be different with it enabled. Especially the bass was less prominent. When it's not enabled, the vocal is strongly centered. When uBach is enabled the vocal is more stretched out and there's less localization and pin pointing with a more spatial presentation, and there seems to be more depth. It reminds me of th effect of diffusers, but I feel I loose more clarity and intelligbility compared to late diffuse energy. Everything is a bit more washed out, but the more immersive and spatial sound seems also pleasing with some recordings.

That's just a first impression and not with great speakers.

BTW: With multichannel speakers we add a more specular energy and there's also serious lobing between the spaced sources. I have had a separate multichannel setup for many years (dedicaded home theater) and I have never preferred listening to concerts/music in multichannel. I much prefer the more accurate 2 channel combined with late arriving diffuse energy to create immersiveness and spaciousness.
Really curious about your experience with the big horns together with the Bacch software!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Really curious about your experience with the big horns together with the Bacch software!
I'll report back. I have three setups I'm testing the uBacch in besides my monitors. But the horn setup is the best one.

Reactions: Nvk

Moderate Dionysianism

You just gotta love such sweeping generalisations;) I have my last.fm profile linked in the signature. Go find me 5 albums from my library that I can get in mch that aren't classical or jazz. I'll happily donate $20 to ASR if you come up with such a list by the end of the week.

Nvk

I'll report back. I have three setups I'm testing the uBacch in besides my monitors. But the horn setup is the best one.
Great! How is the distance between you and the horns en between the loudspeakers?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know this isn't uBACCH for Windows but I have tried Bacch4Mac in three systems with varying results.
With Sanders Panels it is superb. It takes what are already one of the best speakers for imaging (in my humble and subjective opinion) and makes them better still,
With Avantgarde Uno G2, it was really nice. Not quite the improvement as with the Sanders but if I'd not had the Sanders to compare it to I would be raving about it.
With Tune Audio Animas (which are the biggest horns I've tried it with) it's very subtle and I probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't already own it. Having said that, it may be that I didn't set it up correctly. If you look at the speakers, the horns are quite a long way from each other, so it's hard to define either the correct distance between speakers or the correct distance to the listening position.
Quite possibly the "audiophile" version with binaural measurements would manage it better, but as I've mentioned before, the leap in price between 'intro' and 'audiophile" is enormous and too much for me

Reactions: Nvk

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great! How is the distance between you and the horns en between the loudspeakers?
The center to center distance between the horns are about 2.5m. I recently moved them to a new location. Presently the listening distance to the mouth of the horn is 2.7, but it might be reduced.

Over the last days I've been primarily testing uBacch in a TV setup with a pair of CBT speakers. This led me on a bunny trail.
I mentioned before that the uBacch can stretch the image (depening on how the angle is set) and which is the same with diffusion. While I've normally prefer attenuating early reflections with absorption or redirection, in this particular setup I found that I didn't prefer using absorption on opposite side wall reflections (only the closest). So I started doing some experiments with different types of diffusion on opposite side walls do get a feeling of this and how this would compare to uBacch. I tested four different types of diffusion besides bare surfaces, two of them showed below. Diffusion also attenuates specular reflections, but in a different matter and not as much as absorption. FIY: CBT speakers more or less avoid floor reflections and greatly minimizes ceiling reflections.
CBT with BAD Arc (Liten).jpgCBT with Diffractal (Liten).jpg

I find that spaciousness is very important to sound quality, and that's one of the things that is interesting with Bacch. While the increased depth is the most noticable with uBaach, there's also a potential increase of spatial information. I would not say it sounds the same as diffusion though. Especially setting up diffusers like the Diffractals that work well from 400/500 Hz all the way up to highest frequencies on each opposite side walls gives a different result and and makes the sound very spacious and immersive. While increasing the angle with uBacch seem to stretch the image more, overdoing this seem to bring some audible artifact that my ears don't like. So setting the angle accurately has been important based on my experiments so far. With diffusion on opposite side walls (diffuse energy arriving before 10 ms), the experience with uBaach is more mixed. The main difference becomes the depth.

The very obvious increased depth can also be described as moving the artists further back. When uBacch is turned off, it's like listening to them very close up and very centered. But with a lot music material is quite pleasing with the artists pushed back and often perceived as a softer presentation. It's simply quite pleasing and engaging to listen to. Though I've also heard tracks where I prefered turning it off and some tracks I couldn't decide if it was better or not, it was basically just different.

These experiences come from four different setups by the way. Not surprisingly, uBacch seems so far to give the best result with my large horn speakers and without dffusion of earlier reflected energy.

Will continue to test, but so far it's intesting enough that I'll probably buy the sotware, and I may also look how we can implement them in the commercial speaker designs we're working on.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't mean to be sarcastic but for all the time, effort, and perhaps money some of you put into these
phasey attempts at creating an immersive audio experience, Maybe it's time to start thinking about a real multich
surround system? Todays 4, 5.1, and Atmos/Auro can supply an incredible immersive true discrete soundspace.
JMHO
I have both and they sound different. The crosstalk effect sounds much more surreal. It’s the difference between hallucinating on drugs vs seeing a hologram

The effect is in the mind vs the physical space

STC

We don't touch or upmix the master recording,

Are you saying there is no EQ involved at all in XTC for tonal correction? XTC is possible only if you able to attenuate the interaural crosstalk on the opposite ears. I believe BACCH claiming 20 dB attenuation (is this value frequency specific or across the audible band?). To enable to do the XTC you have to send the cancellation signal to the opposite ear to arrive exactly the same time as the original signal. How is it possible for tonal accuracy similar to the non cancellation stereo sound if you are already having an immediate sound coming perhaps within 220 μs not affecting the original response. A single shot cancellation may sound uncolored to the ears but that is still not uncolored measurement wise.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I need some help..

I have installed the plugin, but how can I open it in Roon or BlueOs? Or in Windows? How do I use the plugin in Roon Core?

I believe that Roon does not natively support VST. It is typical of their arrogance, this feature has been requested for years and they still refuse to support it. Correct me if I am wrong and they have implemented it since I last checked. To use uBACCH, you will need a third party host to send your Roon output to, which supports VST. Like JRiver, a convolver capable of hosting VST, or a DAW.

If you want to send ALL your Windows sounds through uBACCH processing, the easiest way to do it is to use JRiver. Set up Windows so that default sound output goes to JRiver, then set up JRiver to output sound to your preferred output. If you are keen to explore this option, I can talk you through it step by step.

I don't know anything about BlueOS sorry.

doorofnight

Thank you for your answer and help. I should have known. I've heard Bacch several times on several setups.. I am very interested because I like what it's doing. I'll give it a try.. Or at least some thoughts. I don't use windows to send music, I use a roon core server. I guess that won't work.

doorofnight

Installed Jriver, and got the plugin working using a crappy bluetooth connection to my amplifier. That seems to be the only way for now, since my amplifier has no Windows drivers. BACCH is great fun with Radio Paradise. But no Roon (core) integration and no decent Qobuz / Spotify integration? So bad. I must find another solution for using BACCH.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Installed Jriver, and got the plugin working using a crappy bluetooth connection to my amplifier. That seems to be the only way for now, since my amplifier has no Windows drivers. BACCH is great fun with Radio Paradise. But no Roon (core) integration and no decent Qobuz / Spotify integration? So bad. I must find another solution for using BACCH.

1694183506576.png

Top Bottom