• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 10.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 339 83.9%

• Total voters
You could also use a couple of O rings, the kind used for damping mechanical keyboards, to extend the tip distance. But I was already happy with the fit personally.

Apart of error, I cannot think of any reason why the manufacturer would do it.
I only have the blue ones, you can make them invert, if you plug the cable ends the wrong way round (which is possible).
Such are sometimes the origins of "urban legends", maybe someone just didn't RTFM before connecting the cable?

I only have the blue ones, you can make them invert, if you plug the cable ends the wrong way round (which is possible).
Such are sometimes the origins of "urban legends", maybe someone just didn't RTFM before connecting the cable?
When the cables of the Red/Blue are plugged in the right way, will the molded "L" and "R" on the connectors be on the same side as the red/blue shell? I assumed so when I connected my Reds, but the instructions were not clear about this, if I recall. Thanks.

When the cables of the Red/Blue are plugged in the right way, will the molded "L" and "R" on the connectors be on the same side as the red/blue shell? I assumed so when I connected my Reds, but the instructions were not clear about this, if I recall. Thanks.
The cable's ear hooks already dictate the way it's supposed to be plugged in:
6475623539f277007a1962cd_ZERO-RED_08.jpg Screenshot_20231102-145224_Chrome.png

Plugged in the wrong way around, the cable will point in the wrong direction:
Screenshot_20231102-145224_Chrome.png

The picture is from VSG's review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/truthear-x-crinacle-zero-red-in-ear-monitors/4.html

see @staticV3 post above, BUT, if you plug both wrong, they can be "almost right", then left is right and right is left, and the phase is wrong too :D
Some folks manage to do it, easy. Including myself without my glasses...

A simple phase test clarifies the situation, if you're in doubt. IIRC, the L and R letters should be facing outwards, I'll check my "blues" - yes.

Last edited:
Hi! Does anyone else have the problem of the eartips slipping off and being stuck in your ear canal when taking the IEMs out? Couldn't find anything quickly in this thread or the ZERO one about it... It's quite annoying, what to do about it? I've only had both zero and red for 5 months now...

Hi! Does anyone else have the problem of the eartips slipping off and being stuck in your ear canal when taking the IEMs out? Couldn't find anything quickly in this thread or the ZERO one about it... It's quite annoying, what to do about it? I've only had both zero and red for 5 months now...

Do you use narrow bore tips?

Yes. You can revive the tips grip on the nozzles by briefly submerging them in near boiling water.

Yes. You can revive the tips grip on the nozzles by briefly submerging them in near boiling water.
Thanks, I didn't know that. How briefly is briefly? 30 seconds?
Mine are tight enough after 14 months (OK, not daily use), but still good to know.

Thanks Sebby and markanini for the hints! Indeed the wide-bore tips fit tight on the IEMs, but less snugly in my ear canal. Will try the submerging thing :)

Zero Red is an easier EQ than Zero Blue, so that's a positive, with biggest difference being the amount of bass EQ required - however Oratory has decided to match the curve down to 10Hz rather than 20Hz which has mean giving the Zero Blue a +10dB bass boost vs only a +5dB bass boost if aiming for 20Hz. I'm thinking it's only necessary to target the EQ to 20Hz in which case he's doing an extra +5dB of unnecessary bass boost on the Zero Blue. Not sure if that extra bass boost could be detrimental to the Blue, my experience with boosting open backed headphones down to 20Hz rather than say 35Hz seems to be detrimental to aim for 20Hz if you need to give large bass boosts in region of 10dB. I'd be a bit careful with the EQ on the Zero Blue and instead modify his EQ to target Harman down to 20Hz rather than 10Hz. This is not a problem on the Zero Red - a very easy EQ on that one even down to 10Hz.

Okay, so now I have heard the Red.

I must say if you come from the 7hz Zero and you take Crins measurements into consideration you might be surprised.
The sound signature differs stronger from the 7hz Zero than you might expect by looking at the graph.

While the 7hz Zero was pretty much neutral to me with some extra upper treble spice, the Red sounds rather mid-centric and "analytical" to my ears.
It is a precise, non-fatigueing and slightly "boring" interpretation of neutral. More something which could be used as a studio monitor. To my ears is not an "upgrade" over the Zero but rather something different.

The graphs of Super*Review actually represent the difference I hear between them better.

Back
Top Bottom