• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 311 84.5%

• Total voters

respice finem

Major Contributor
Okay, so now I have heard the Red.

I must say if you come from the 7hz Zero and you take Crins measurements into consideration you might be surprised.
The sound signature differs stronger from the 7hz Zero than you might expect by looking at the graph.

While the 7hz Zero was pretty much neutral to me with some extra upper treble spice, the Red sounds rather mid-centric and "analytical" to my ears.
It is a precise, non-fatigueing and slightly "boring" interpretation of neutral. More something which could be used as a studio monitor. To my ears is not an "upgrade" over the Zero but rather something different.

The graphs of Super*Review actually represent the difference I hear between them better.
Having the direct comparison with good monitors (Neumann KH 310A @1.5 m), I can largely confirm this.
With the resistor, the Zero:RED have more deep bass, but are a bit less "transparent", so I would recommend them without, if I were to mix with IEMs.
For the "average Joe" they are an "obscenely" cheap and high quality option, if a bit "current hungry" - they are the first with which I have indeed reached -0 dB on my RME (with the resistor).

Last edited:
Okay, so now I have heard the Red.

I must say if you come from the 7hz Zero and you take Crins measurements into consideration you might be surprised.
The sound signature differs stronger from the 7hz Zero than you might expect by looking at the graph.

While the 7hz Zero was pretty much neutral to me with some extra upper treble spice, the Red sounds rather mid-centric and "analytical" to my ears.
It is a precise, non-fatigueing and slightly "boring" interpretation of neutral. More something which could be used as a studio monitor. To my ears is not an "upgrade" over the Zero but rather something different.

The graphs of Super*Review actually represent the difference I hear between them better.
I don't think a change in tuning is ever objectively an upgrade it is just different (within limits of course). The upgrade came primarily from the extremely low distortion in the red as shown on pg1.

markanini

Major Contributor
I don't think a change in tuning is ever objectively an upgrade it is just different (within limits of course). The upgrade came primarily from the extremely low distortion in the red as shown on pg1.
Unless you poll one hundred people about which they prefer between IEM A and IEM B.

Unless you poll one hundred people about which they prefer between IEM A and IEM B.
Not really, that's just the fallacy "appeal to popularity" with extra steps.

Large groups of people believing something to be true does not make it so, unless the claim is "more people like this".

markanini

Major Contributor
Not really, that's just the fallacy "appeal to popularity" with extra steps.

Large groups of people believing something to be true does not make it so, unless the claim is "more people like this".
You having to assume respondents only can prefer something through "belief" makes your argument less strong than you think.

You having to assume respondents only can prefer something through "belief" makes your argument less strong than you think.
Feel free to elaborate, because your comment just seems like you are moving the goalposts in the conversation due to using fallacious reasoning prior.

Again, the number of people who say something, believe something, or are convinced of something is irrelevant to it being true. You realize everything is a belief? You put it in quotes like that means something.

100 people believing something based off bad or no evidence is worth less than one person believing something based off solid logic with reasonable evidence.

markanini

Major Contributor
Feel free to elaborate, because your comment just seems like you are moving the goalposts in the conversation due to using fallacious reasoning prior.

Again, the number of people who say something, believe something, or are convinced of something is irrelevant to it being true. You realize everything is a belief? You put it in quotes like that means something.

100 people believing something based off bad or no evidence is worth less than one person believing something based off solid logic with reasonable evidence.
By your own logic your particular epistemimics hold no objective value.

That's why attempts at downgrading or reframing irrefutable statistics is persuit of a faux-intellectual.

By your own logic your particular epistemimics hold no objective value.

That's why attempts at downgrading or reframing irrefutable statistics is persuit of a faux-intellectual.
That is quite literally the exact opposite of what I said. All I did was state that the number of people believing something to be true is not evidence of anything in itself. And using that as evidence is fallacious at best. This is not my opinion but an objective fact taken from basic epistemology/logic 101.

Your particular methodology for believing something to be true is the ONLY thing that matters. Perhaps it is my fault for not clearly enough stating my position, but it appears your are strawmanning me from where I sit. People can also often be correct for the wrong reasons. I could say this coin will land on heads because a supernatural voice told me it will. Even if I am correct and it lands on heads doesn't make my reasoning any more correct.

At no point did I downgrade or reframe irrefutable statistics. Mostly because none were presented besides "most people think this" with no justification or evidence presented...at least within our short conversation.

Last edited:

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK, mine arrived earlier, obviously the cable has polarity when attaching it to the body, but which way round?? I attached them so that ear loop falls naturally over my ears. Sounds OK anyway.

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK, mine arrived earlier, obviously the cable has polarity when attaching it to the body, but which way round?? I attached them so that ear loop falls naturally over my ears. Sounds OK anyway.
This is the correct orientation:
fit.jpg

Bernard23

That's what I assumed. The instruction manual shows a diagram that presupposes the terminals are marked.
I also got a box that contained a packet of presumably spare nozzle grills, and a piece of cardboard pre-scored for folding into a triangle that I have no idea of its purpose.

Bernard23

Had a bit more time plating around with them this evening, and bizarrely they are less sensitive than my Dunu IEMs. Yet the latter are rated at 110dB@1Khz (no voltage quoted but assume per V)
Reds are 117.5dB/V/1Khz only had a brief comparison, but seems the Shio does not have enough gain for me, though my V50 does. Something doesn't seem right, will investigate later.

EDIT Update
Tried them out using the JDS Element, they're not even close. I'm using low gain, and plugging the red requires a 1/3 spin of the volume wheel to approximate same volume. I'm using the supplied tips, and they're a better fit than the ones I have on my Dunu and other IEMs so it's not that.
They're definitely not useable for me using the Shio and my phone. Shame as they do sound good for the money, and I need a daily basher.

Last edited:

lazarian

Had a bit more time plating around with them this evening, and bizarrely they are less sensitive than my Dunu IEMs. Yet the latter are rated at 110dB@1Khz (no voltage quoted but assume per V)
Reds are 117.5dB/V/1Khz only had a brief comparison, but seems the Shio does not have enough gain for me, though my V50 does. Something doesn't seem right, will investigate later.

EDIT Update
Tried them out using the JDS Element, they're not even close. I'm using low gain, and plugging the red requires a 1/3 spin of the volume wheel to approximate same volume. I'm using the supplied tips, and they're a better fit than the ones I have on my Dunu and other IEMs so it's not that.
They're definitely not useable for me using the Shio and my phone. Shame as they do sound good for the money, and I need a daily basher.
Not useable from the Shio?? How loud are you trying to listen to them? I basically don't go over 3/4 volume on a Pixel driving the Google USB dongle, which has far less power then the Shio. I assume you've tried Hi Gain on the Shio (although I'd have thought this definitely wouldn't be required)..

Bernard23

Not useable from the Shio?? How loud are you trying to listen to them? I basically don't go over 3/4 volume on a Pixel driving the Google USB dongle, which has far less power then the Shio. I assume you've tried Hi Gain on the Shio (although I'd have thought this definitely wouldn't be required)..
That's why it's bizarre. I don't think I listen at particularly loud levels, I don't have hearing damage, and the less sensitive dunu are ear shattering with the shio on full vol / max gain.
If I try to volume match them, then the dunu are around 7dB lower volume setting. That doesn't make sense, given their respective specs. I tried them both out on my jds, and again trying to volume match them requires a big change in the vol pot position.

respice finem

Major Contributor
That's why it's bizarre. I don't think I listen at particularly loud levels, I don't have hearing damage, and the less sensitive dunu are ear shattering with the shio on full vol / max gain.
If I try to volume match them, then the dunu are around 7dB lower volume setting. That doesn't make sense, given their respective specs. I tried them both out on my jds, and again trying to volume match them requires a big change in the vol pot position.
It kind of confirms my observation:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With or without the resistor plug? Makes quite a difference to the sensitivity

Bernard23

It kind of confirms my observation:
Which again is odd, they are rated at 17 ohms, the Dunu at 10. On paper the DUNU are less sensitive and will draw more current (at 1Khz anyway) at the same output voltage. I wondered if the tips made any difference, they didn't. A quick Google and it seems I'm not alone in finding this, though only a few reddit users.

lazarian

Which again is odd, they are rated at 17 ohms, the Dunu at 10. On paper the DUNU are less sensitive and will draw more current (at 1Khz anyway) at the same output voltage. I wondered if the tips made any difference, they didn't. A quick Google and it seems I'm not alone in finding this, though only a few reddit users.
I found my Shio, I was on low gain at 40ish % and it was loud. Maybe your phone is restricting output power?

Bernard23

I found my Shio, I was on low gain at 40ish % and it was loud. Maybe your phone is restricting output power?
Possibly, my V50 has a noticeably higher headroom. Still doesn't explain why they are so different to the DUNU though using the same hardware. I haven't tried the Shio on anything other than an S23 Ultra, so I'll try it on the V50. Doesn't solve my problem though as I'm not keeping the V50

Top Bottom