• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HD800Fan

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's weird. Mine fits really tight. It's a friction fit I believe
very tight for me too

no chance of falling out

i use Nova at home and cheap Zero2 Crinacle away from home ($20 and excellent)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered these after much hmmm and hahhhhh. I was in the same position regarding the Variations the last time they went on offer but decided far too much £ for an FR that was a bit more V shaped than I actually liked.

But the Nova is 1/3 of the price and I want to see if I can get to like the FR without EQ or whether I relent and end up reducing the ear gain region to more in line with the Zero Red levels.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just ordered these after much hmmm and hahhhhh. I was in the same position regarding the Variations the last time they went on offer but decided far too much £ for an FR that was a bit more V shaped than I actually liked.

But the Nova is 1/3 of the price and I want to see if I can get to like the FR without EQ or whether I relent and end up reducing the ear gain region to more in line with the Zero Red levels.
If you want to suffer, you can also EQ to Harman2024 beta, this is even brighter, but apparently equally preferred, statistically.

MacClintock

Where can I find this target, please?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine arrived. Initial thoughts:

Far nicer build and feel than the TE Zero (but 3x the price)
Very first listen was that they were bright- but I lower the 2-6k region on most IEM so possibly something to adjust to in my head/ ears.
Fit well with Moondrop Spring Tips which is my current fav tip when appropriate. Good seal with the XL for me.

Some time later started cranking the volume a bit and some modern pop type stuff came onto a new music playlist (it was a new Pet Shop Boys track) and they were getting pretty harsh and grating for me. So currently just lowering the 2-6k area with a couple of EQ dips and liking them.

So- my conclusion is that for my ears these are not the perfect IEM if by perfect we mean comfy (they are) and can be played with a variety of content and volumes and not need EQ (not for me).

But then I knew going into them that my preference is for less of an ear gain hump than Harman IE 2019 v2 so nothing surprising there. I do like them though after a slight bit of EQ.

markanini

Major Contributor

Very first listen was that they were bright- but I lower the 2-6k region on most IEM so possibly something to adjust to in my head/ ears.
Fit well with Moondrop Spring Tips which is my current fav tip when appropriate. Good seal with the XL for me.

Some time later started cranking the volume a bit and some modern pop type stuff came onto a new music playlist (it was a new Pet Shop Boys track) and they were getting pretty harsh and grating for me. So currently just lowering the 2-6k area with a couple of EQ dips and liking them.

So- my conclusion is that for my ears these are not the perfect IEM if by perfect we mean comfy (they are) and can be played with a variety of content and volumes and not need EQ (not for me).

But then I knew going into them that my preference is for less of an ear gain hump than Harman IE 2019 v2 so nothing surprising there. I do like them though after a slight bit of EQ.
How do you rank comfort vs. Moondrop May?

There's some reversible hardware based mods for setups without EQ https://kr0mka.squig.link/?share=nova_white,nova_green,nova_green_y2_velvet

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052516554.html

Attachments

• 1714745920438.png
    1714745920438.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 32

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
May are comfortable because a dinky shell well shaped (pretty much the same as a Hola tbh) so with the right tips they stay put and you dont feel them so much. The Nova are way larger but nicely smother- think a deeper slightly better contoured TE Zero and more obvious you have your concha and canal full of plastic and rubber.

But the Nova is a better fit for me than the TE Zero. The May I could probably wear all day.

MacClintock

Blorg

Interesting, the green one might be appropriate. But how are these installed, the cylinder goes on top of the nozzle? Will it not become very long ?
They go inside one of the two larger sub-nozzles, like the sub-nozzle on the bottom left here (this is the stock one):

DSC04442.JPG

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, so they are much smaller than I imagined from the photos. Any experience with it, does it work fine?
The hexa had similar things in. I lost quite a bit of volume in one ear, yanked those filters out and back to proper levels. But obv with no filters doing whatever they were doing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Ok, listened enough now to call it .

These are very good (with eq to my tastes ) and if you don't mind the bigger style shells. To my ears when you get louder they get unlistenable in stock tuning.

My eq but of course YMMV.

Oh, and you'll want to either swap out the cable or remove the rubberised ear hook coating . Way too curled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-04-17-12-15-503_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-04-17-12-15-503_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

MacClintock

These are very good (with eq to my tastes ) and if you don't mind the bigger style shells. To my ears when you get louder they get unlistenable in stock tuning.

Oh, and you'll want to either swap out the cable or remove the rubberised ear hook coating . Way too curled.
Sounds reasonable, yet while at it, I would add PK FR 1250 G -1.5 Q 1.5.

MacClintock

On the one hand, I think it is kind of ridiculous everybody coming up with his own target, but on the other, if Harman2019IE is simply too bright at the ear-gain region, what are you supposed to do? So your "target" seems to be quite close to mine, which is Harman2019IE below 1 kHz and oratory1990 above it. This gives a smooth transition and allows to crank up the music to quite high levels without pain (a good test and also quite often my preferred way of listening). And sounds right to me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the one hand, I think it is kind of ridiculous everybody coming up with his own target, but on the other, if Harman2019IE is simply too bright at the ear-gain region, what are you supposed to do? So your "target" seems to be quite close to mine, which is Harman2019IE below 1 kHz and oratory1990 above it. This gives a smooth transition and allows to crank up the music to quite high levels without pain (a good test and also quite often my preferred way of listening). And sounds right to me.
I'll be honest, I aim for crinacle 2020 above 1500 (to taste and below 8k)and sort out the bass as needed once I have a good seal.

It's why I have no problem with H19 being used as a yardstick for all measurements taken /compared to. I know if it hugs that closely ill likely need to eq and by roughly how much. Like you say, the acid test for any FR or eq is when you crank it. Ain't nobody got time to have volume reliant EQ.

d1m0n

Hello guys. I like my Novas overall but like to play a little with EQ as I find them little too bright at sometimes. What would be the easiest way to experiment and tune it for examle to Crinacle target or Usound shared by oratory especially in the higher area?
What I would like is something like AutoEQ. Select my iem, select my target and show me the values to adjust. Is there an „easy“ more or less accurate enough way?

Top Bottom