• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

Fowly

It's not about pleasing me, it's about maintaining scientific standards and accuracy, on a science forum.

Claiming to maintain "scientific standards" by comparing two different measurement rigs with two different pairs of IEMs (same model, but not the same sample), is not very credible. It's peak armchair philosophy.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So basically this is a poor's man variations, neat.

kysa

Variations will become the old mans overpriced Nova. Like KXXS became to Aria.

Nah.

— You can replace Variation's filters with the one Moondrop provides

— it doesn't have the same fitting issues (i obviously don't own Nova, guessing strictly from my prior experience with Truthear products)

— They don't look that childish to make me cringe just from wearing them in public

if i were to buy an expensive IEM — i'd be more than happy to pay extra for a set that won't die after 6 months of use like my Hexa did. I'm honestly not sure whether the specified impedance of Hexa is true. When i EQed my other IEMs to Hexa's FR and calculated the output volume via Qudelix, they all sounded way louder than Hexa at the supposed volume matched 82 dB SPL.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Super* squig + others. His video review is not very favourable as he does not like that tuning much, prefers the Hexa.

graph (6).png

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

GaryH

Major Contributor
How about this. If we're on the topic of accuracy (or lack thereof), then IEC60318-4/711 would be patently less accurate than the ITU-T Type 4.3 standard when it comes to emulating the acoustic impedance of the human ear. I know that there was a point on this forum where every 5128 publisher would be villified for even attempting to start a database on the new standard, but now even Harman sees merit in repeating the AE/OE 2015 research for in-ears on the 5128.

And even Dr Sean Olive admits as much, saying that the 5128 provides better human accuracy whereas the traditional 711 provides better precision

So since you're going on and on about accuracy, how about we look at 5128 measurements of the Nova instead?

Even kept it completely raw for the folks who absolutely despise tilted-DF compensated data.
Still haven't learnt the difference between a tweet and actual science I see. But I really wouldn't expect anything less. Desperate attempts to pivot to the usual 5128 propaganda to avoid addressing the issue won't help you. We're talking about the (in)accuracy of your knock-off '711' coupler to judge Harman target compliance. You know, that target with scientifically controlled, double-blind listening tests backing it as most preferred / perceived neutral, which no other public target has (nor any for your beloved 5128 by the way, rendering its utility severely crippled until, if, this ever materializes, and even then it still has major issues over its supposed 'high accuracy'). An accurate measurement apparatus is defined as accurate to a known reference. We know measurements from genuine GRAS RA0045 couplers (used to devise the Harman target of course) are highly precise and accurate to IEC standards due to high quality manufacturing and tolerances as Oratory has testified. Therefore we can assess the accuracy of your knock-off coupler to judge the Harman compliance of an IEM via a like-for-like comparison to an RA0045 measurement, which I presented for the Truthear Zero, clearly showing your coupler has significant inaccuracies not only to the known accurate GRAS coupler, but that fall outside of IEC tolerances too, which themselves are already pretty loose. I was in fact being very conservative in my earlier post when I was talking about how much tighter GRAS manufacturing tolerances are than IEC tolerances. Oratory actually said all the many GRAS couplers his company have are within ~0.2 dB of each other (plus hitting the middle of the IEC spec no less), which means their manufacturing tolerance is in fact half of this at about ±0.1 dB (around the limit of audibility so effectively negligible). This is up to 22 times tighter than IEC tolerances, which your coupler doesn't even adhere to.

It's absolutely absurd for the post-truth pseudoscientists to claim these knock-off couplers can offer comparable accuracy to genuine GRAS equipment and so an accurate assessment of Harman compliance and therefore majority perceived neutrality of an IEM. Evidently the sunk cost fallacy of wasting their time, effort and money on these inaccurate knock-offs means they just can't bear to admit it. And what the logically-challenged are failing to grasp is that a single counterexample is sufficient to disprove a generalized claim. The claim here is that a knock-off coupler is accurate, within IEC tolerances. And if it were this would be true for all measured IEMs. The Truthear Zero comparison clearly shows it is not. Of course this would not be a one-off case of knock-off couplers from dodgy untrustworthy companies sold on AliExpress being inaccurate either:

Screenshot_20231018-204710_Discord.png

Note none of this rests on Jaakko's analysis. That was indicative of a potential inaccuracy, but the like-for-like Truthear Zero comparison stands on its own and is all that's needed. Anyone denying this needs to show evidence of a confounder in this case that can produce that magnitude of error. In general the only other potentially significant variables at play could be:

1. High unit variation. (But we already know in this case this is low for the Zero from Crinacle himself.)

2. Operator incompetence. (As a professional acoustic engineer with a Master's in metrology whose job it is to measure and help design headphones/IEMs, this obviously doesn't apply to Oratory.)

So if anyone is claiming either or both of these are confounding variables, that's tantamount to saying Crinacle/Truthear have been telling fibs about the Zero's unit variation (1), and/or producing erroneous measurements of it (2). Either result in the same conclusion as would be the case when these are not confounders and so the difference is due to inaccuracies in the knock-off coupler — measurements from this source cannot be trusted to be accurate. Of course what would be utterly imbecilic is for anyone to think they're being really clever with a faux reductio ad absurdum by throwing CSGLinux's of Hypethesonics data into the mix, when that just adds more confounding variables that are known to affect measured frequency response, like this:
HypetheSonics’ headphone database is a self-consistent set of measurements for some of today’s higher-quality in-ear monitors and earbuds. All measurements on this database are produced using the GRAS RA0045 coupler. If needed (i.e., for shallow-insert earbuds), this coupler is also connected to a GRAS KB5010 artificial pinna.
Along with singling out a specific example of an active, ANC, shallow-insert TWS earbud in the AKG N400, all of which are characteristics that can cause variations in frequency response, due to e.g. firmware/software version differences, environmental noise conditions, active feedback mechanisms etc. Yet again basic scientific principles like minimizing confounding variables in comparisons are clearly not being understood at all. And it's this lack of fundamental scientific literacy that's the crux of all this. Before any measurement can be taken seriously and judged accurate, the accuracy of the measurement apparatus used must first be established and demonstrated. The onus is on the measurer to do this. The onus is not on others to prove it is inaccurate while the measurer assumes it is and expects everyone else to take their word for it without valid evidence. Science doesn't work like that.

This ultimately means measurements from all these YouTubers and 'reviewers' using knock-off couplers (and relative to nonsensical, made-up pseudoscientific targets at that), no matter how many subscribers they have, will provide an unreliable depiction of majority perceived tonality of the Nova (or any other IEM/headphone) unless high coupler accuracy has first been proven, and so should be roundly ignored on a science forum if this is not provided, and only measurements from genuine known-accurate GRAS couplers considered, shown with the Harman target that has actual scientific research backing it.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Would be moot point if highly IEC complaint couplers currently seemingly fail at predicting IEM listening pleasure to a large enough majority. At least if assuming absolute granular adherence, which I personally preferred less when I compared to manual subjective EQ so far, every time. And I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
After a few days of listening, impressions are that yes, the tuning is similar to Variations especially in the mids. Woodwinds and vocals are its bread and butter. Immediately noticeable is that upper treble doesn’t have much emphasis resulting in some “soft” sounding snares, cymbals etc. So it doesn’t scratch my itch for realistic drum playback. This does come with the benefit of being an enjoyable all-day listen that doesn’t flirt with too much intensity. Sibilance is basically nonexistent.

I generally enjoy mid-bass recession, so with that in mind I think low end overall is very well done. Bass guitar solo in “Stomp” by The Brothers Johnson is outstanding, so is “Get on the Floor” by MJ, but in busier tracks the bass line can often get buried in the mix. Kick drum has nice decay and rumbling in electronic music like the Tron soundtrack is handled well.

This probably won’t be a Variations (or S8, B3..) killer because of the treble. But it’s worth the cost of admission and Truthear is continuing to move in the right direction.

Mhoomans

I will receive the Nova tomorrow. Hopefully I will like it, it's my most expensive iem to date :p.

If I'm disappointed than I will go for the Variations and forget about the money I spent on the cheaper options. ;-)

sharock

These are discounted to $127.49 at Shenzen Audio at the moment.

I will receive the Nova tomorrow. Hopefully I will like it, it's my most expensive iem to date :p.

If I'm disappointed than I will go for the Variations and forget about the money I spent on the cheaper options. ;-)
Did you receive them yet?

Last edited:

Blorg

They may be cheaper through AliExpress on 11.11 as you can stack discounts. You are still buying from Shenzhen Audio (Truthear are exclusive to them) but more discounts.

• 11.11 Sale price: US $131.99
  • $4 off every $20 max $16 = -$16
  • 5% coins = -$6.60 (if you have them- maybe a bit less or more depending on whether this is calculated after the other discounts, or if you buy from the coins page can be higher than 5%. Nova is showing a 6% / $8.92 coin discount for me on that page now, and the coin discount % can also go way up from that in sales)
  • site-wide final checkout page coupon $15 off $100 11OT11 = -$15 (there are several codes for this discount, 11SALE15 is another)

= $94.39, or $100.99 if you don't have any coins (you can start collecting them now if you are bothered, and get a few more $ off)

Mhoomans

I received the Nova and here is my ultra short simple non scientific "review".

I used the original Truthear Zero for the past half year. The Nova, to my ears, is a big step up in basically every aspect.

Even though it's bigger, it fits better for me, probably because the nozzle width is not as big as the Zero.

Sound wise, I would describe the difference mostly in clarity, better layering, instrument separation, more 3D for lack of a better explanation. Bass is fantastic, but in all honesty the Zero I also loved in the bass departement. But I think it's a bit more controlled and a bit more prominent in the lowest octave with the Nova.

Mids to me are fantastic, more resolution compared to the Zero, if that makes any sense. Vocals really sound great, with some male vocals perhaps ever so slightly warmer than intended, but it dependents on the song. Female vocals have so much air without becoming harsh, I love it.

Treble is amazing, this is a big upgrade over the Zero to my ears. Well extended, perfectly executed with no peaks as far as I can detect.

I've used headphones for 30 years on a daily basis (studio owner, producer, sound designer) and I never imagined a €150 IEM to compete or even win (in my opinion) from headphones costing between €800 and €1400 from brands like AKG, Audeze, Dan Clark, Focal and Sennheiser for example.

One very big important factor I should mention. I used the foam ear tips. You might wonder why this is important. At first I used the normal silicon ear tips and the difference is, believe it or not, very big. The treble with the normal silicon ear tips is not as extended, to my ears it lacks air and it basically makes most songs a bit boring and it also changes the width and depth of songs in a bad way.

As always, this is my opinion with my ears and my preferences. Non scientific, so please don't attack me, I'm trying to provide an experience that might be valuable to some. In the end, if you can try the Nova, it will give you 1000 times more valuable information than any review I think. ;-)

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I used the original Truthear Zero for the past half year. The Nova, to my ears, is a big step up in basically every aspect.

Even though it's bigger, it fits better for me, probably because the nozzle width is not as big as the Zero.

Sound wise, I would describe the difference mostly in clarity, better layering, instrument separation, more 3D for lack of a better explanation. Bass is fantastic, but in all honesty the Zero I also loved in the bass departement. But I think it's a bit more controlled and a bit more prominent in the lowest octave with the Nova.

Mids to me are fantastic, more resolution compared to the Zero, if that makes any sense. Vocals really sound great, with some male vocals perhaps ever so slightly warmer than intended, but it dependents on the song. Female vocals have so much air without becoming harsh, I love it.

Treble is amazing, this is a big upgrade over the Zero to my ears. Well extended, perfectly executed with no peaks as far as I can detect.

I've used headphones for 30 years on a daily basis (studio owner, producer, sound designer) and I never imagined a €150 IEM to compete or even win (in my opinion) from headphones costing between €800 and €1400 from brands like AKG, Audeze, Dan Clark, Focal and Sennheiser for example.

One very big important factor I should mention. I used the foam ear tips. You might wonder why this is important. At first I used the normal silicon ear tips and the difference is, believe it or not, very big. The treble with the normal silicon ear tips is not as extended, to my ears it lacks air and it basically makes most songs a bit boring and it also changes the width and depth of songs in a bad way.

As always, this is my opinion with my ears and my preferences. Non scientific, so please don't attack me, I'm trying to provide an experience that might be valuable to some. In the end, if you can try the Nova, it will give you 1000 times more valuable information than any review I think. ;-)
Looks like we have a much cheaper contender for the IEM throne than the Variations.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I'm waiting for mine to drop, but once they arrive I'll be comparing the Nova with the Zero and Hexa using the Truthear SHIO DAC dongle and Topping portable DAC. It will be interesting to compare Hexa and Nova basically because of the price difference. There was a $30 hike in price between the Zero and Hexa, but this is a considerable cost hike at 100% of the Hexa. Will it result in 100% sonic improvement? Maybe, my ears are just not good enough to resolve the nuances anymore!

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my Nova today. I am listening to it right now after a brief moment listening to the Red to compare. First impression is that it is definitely brighter overall, and the bass curve focused on subbass de-emphasizes the kick drums a little. Bass quantity is just right for me, which many will feel it has not enough bass. For context, the Red without adapter had too much bass for me and I had to roll tips until I found one that reduces some. So the Nova is more 7Hz Zero 1 than Truthear Zero Red so far, and I was definitely not expecting that! Size is bigger than both, but shaped way more ergonomically than the Red.

Overall impression is that it is good of course but not awesome, it just does its thing alright. It's a keeper though, not as the Blessing 3 which I immediately decided to sell.

The Red is by far the best value for 55 USD.

Last edited:

nerdemoji

Got my Nova today. I am listening to it right now after a brief moment listening to the Red to compare. First impression is that it is definitely brighter overall, and the bass curve focused on subbass de-emphasizes the kick drums a little. Bass quantity is just right for me, which many will feel it has not enough bass. For context, the Red without adapter had too much bass for me and I had to roll tips until I found one that reduces some. So the Nova is more 7Hz Zero 1 then Truthear Zero Red so far, and I was definitely not expecting that! Size is bigger than both, but shaped more ergonomically than the Red.

Overall impression is that it is good of course but not awesome, it just does it's thing alright. It's a keeper though, not as the Blessing 3 which I immediately decided to sell.

The Red is by far the best value for 55 USD.
try with foam tips. it does have an effect

Mhoomans

As always, this is my opinion with my ears and my preferences. Non scientific, so please don't attack me, I'm trying to provide an experience that might be valuable to some. In the end, if you can try the Nova, it will give you 1000 times more valuable inf

So today I listened for 3 hours or so (not in one session though) and again I used the foam tips as I still think these sound the best from the supplied tips. Hoping I can find silicon tips that sound the same (or almost the same) as the foam tips, as I prefer silicon (easier to plug in and out my ears).

But anyway, again nothin scientific at all but I just had to come back and say that I'm really blown away with the Nova. I like the original Truthear Zero, I think they changed the game, for me at least. Amazing sound for less than $50, I mean, how is that possible.

What the Zero did for me is that it basically was my introduction to the affordable IEM world, and now I have upgraded to the Nova and yes, it's an upgrade to my ears. My opinion differs from multiple reviewers and while that's totally normal and fine, I wonder if they all tried the foam tips, because I can't find anything wrong with the Nova. It's like I found the perfect IEM.

I use the Fiio BTR7 with the 4.4mm balanced output (so not the stock Nova cable). No EQ (I don't feel the need).

Last edited:
Top Bottom