• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True-Blue class d amplifier using the latest chip innovations from Axign

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you aware of the Axign chip innovation for class D amplifiers going on in the Netherlands?

So what is innovative about their class D amps?

BillG

Major Contributor
Are you aware of the Axign chip innovation for class D amplifiers going on in the Netherlands ?

If you're referring to the Pulse Width Conversion technology that they're using and referring to as a "Power DAC", Texas Instruments has been doing that on a number of their Class D amplification chipsets for awhile now. I've a ~$120 USD integrated amp from a Chinese company that utilizes the technology in the form of the TAS5548 chip... :cool:

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Baltic birch sandwich

I read that and thought "he ships sushi from Japan for lunch and now Baltic bird sandwiches? What is he? Gordon Ramsay in disguise?" Then I saw birch...

Had some o-toro flown in from Fukuoka market yesterday, it was only a small sample but I didn't have to pay.

BillG

Major Contributor
As a visual artist, as well as a scientist and engineer, I appreciate good design. However, this isn't doing it for me; If I'm paying over $1,000USD for an integrated amp, I don't expect it to look like a stack of unfinished plywood... :oops:

LR_LHP_TRUE_BLUE_BOX_0006.jpg

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lookin like some avant-garde joke in terms of the enclosure..

Someone got a laser cutter for Christmas...

KSTR

Major Contributor
So what is innovative about their class D amps?
The feedback. Normally, a class-D amp has an internal analog feedback path to make the amp work. but here the feedback signal is digitized (with an ultra-fast ADC), can be processed/filtered digitally and control PWM output pattern directly. This allows for much higher loop gain in the audio range, for lowest distortion and low output impedance. Basically the same thing that Bruno Putzeys did with the Ncore in analog. Also, it is very easy to install arbitrary output impedance profile because the chip has multiple parallel layers so you can have a voltage- and a current-based feedback signal and process/mix them in digital. Very handy for active speakers....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As a visual artist, as well as a scientist and engineer, I appreciate good design. However, this isn't doing it for me; If I'm paying over $1,000USD for an integrated amp, I don't expect it to look like a stack of unfinished plywood... :oops:

View attachment 37232

Looks like something I would have made out of ice cream sticks as a kid...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think making the case out of Popsicle sticks would be more interesting.

Top Bottom