• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RSL iA255.1 Class D integrated amplifier discussion

Reydepancakes

Finally paired a Rythmik L12 to my HiVi DIY 3.1a system. Crossovers seem to match well. Still working on how to best integrate the rest but seems great.

To address other comments - tiny hiss as the device initiates and then goes quiet. Occasional click I've heard as well which I suspect is the built in DAC but not sure, pretty rare and I think I only notice it as I'm extreme near field.

So far the iA255.1 is subjectively a value.

Ungeduld

Avoid this product. I bought it for the high-pass filter, which doesn't really cut the sound, but the sound quality is really bad: it lacks flesh, the highs are thin. It sounds like a cheap old amp from the '80s...

Very disappointing. Worse still, their customer service is very bad: they advertise that returns are free, but that's not true. I was told I had to pay $15 for the return, and they refuse to pay me for the return shipping, because I'm in Canada. All in a very arrogant tone.

I don't encourage this kind of business. This is the first time I've encountered this kind of problem when returning a product bought online.

Reydepancakes

Avoid this product. I bought it for the high-pass filter, which doesn't really cut the sound, but the sound quality is really bad: it lacks flesh, the highs are thin. It sounds like a cheap old amp from the '80s...

Very disappointing. Worse still, their customer service is very bad: they advertise that returns are free, but that's not true. I was told I had to pay $15 for the return, and they refuse to pay me for the return shipping, because I'm in Canada. All in a very arrogant tone.

I don't encourage this kind of business. This is the first time I've encountered this kind of problem when returning a product bought online.

Lacks flesh? Thin? Maybe needs to eat more? Sorry you had a bad experience but I think you might be in the wrong forum.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Probably not for your taste, what's your favorite or preferred amplifiers?
Their return policy says the customer will get a pre-paid return shipping label along with return authorization, they must clarify that it is applied to returns within US only.

Omartian

Debating between this and the fosi za3. Using it for a near field PC desktop w/a schiit hel as my DAC, philharmonic true mini speakers and a svs sb-1000 pro. Anyone have any recs on which way to go?

djb

Debating between this and the fosi za3. Using it for a near field PC desktop w/a schiit hel as my DAC, philharmonic true mini speakers and a svs sb-1000 pro. Anyone have any recs on which way to go?
I'm debating between this and SMSL a300. Rsl is a great company but I really want a remote control. I like how this unit is more sold state with switches etc.

ZINHAR

I'm debating between this and SMSL a300. Rsl is a great company but I really want a remote control. I like how this unit is more sold state with switches etc.
The RSL iA255.1 is very similar to the SMSL A12. It even ships in the same box along with the same power adapter. The PCB layouts are also quite similar. However, I'm unaware if SMSL are the OEM/ODM for both products. Not saying this is a bad thing, as the iA255.1 is a much improved design compared to the old A12. My guess is that the iA255.1 and A300 should be on-par in terms of build quality.
RSL_SMSL.png

djb

Wow, those are obviously related products! RSL basically added a sub out and HPF.

elshaddai

Wanting to follow up on the input sensitivity question that was discussed early on. I'm using the iA255 on my desktop and finding that whether I use it standalone (with USB from my PC) or in a line with my external DAC and headphone amp, the end result is very little usable control on the volume knob.

If standalone, I rarely get past 8 or 9 o'clock for reasonable background listening levels (~60dB). Is this because it is a linear pot instead of logarithmic? Why would RSL take that approach?

When used with my external DAC/preamp, I can turn the RSL up to 2 or 3 o'clock, but then have the same control range issue on the preamp. If I back the RSL down to noon'ish, then I have a little more control. Is limiting the RSL to half of its output an appropriate approach? If I reduce it even more (to use more of the preamp volume knob range), am I losing any SQL?

Curious what others have found...

Top Bottom